Sensor Cleaning Frequency

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Cameras
I take picture quite regularly, let's say around a thousand photos a month, and seem to have to take my Canon 30D in to the service centre to get my sensor cleaned around every two months.

Does that sound about right? Does anyone else experience these problems? If I stick to one lens, without removing it, will the sensor still get dirty? Just as quick as if I swap between lenses? Are there any recommendation to keep the sensor clean(er)? Does anyone clean their sensor "do-it-yourself' style?

I'm happy to keep getting my sensor cleaned, I just want to know how frequent other people do this.
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I clean my sensors around once a month. I shoot mainly wildlife so I'm shooting in conditions where there is a lot of dust and pollen and I do change lenses constatntly. I clean them myself with the Artic Butterfly, link .

Dust on the sensor is an issue that has been blown way out of proportion, IMHO. If you use a DSLR it will get some dust on the sensor sooner or later. When that happens it takes a few minutes to clean it. No big deal.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Copperhill recommends at least every two weeks if the camera is used frequently.....saying their lest expensive should last 2-3 yrs at that rate....here in windy Ks i really should clean mine every week but don't do it until the the dust is really noticable......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 22, 2007
    If you use small apertures, and if you include a lot of sky or other similar subject or background, you are likely to notice the problem more.

You can use a "changing bag", which can be as simple as a plastic shopping bag from your local W**mart, to help in extremely dusty situations. (Drag one of these bags gently across the ground to see how much dust they collect, which some folks claim also attract airborne dust away from the camera.)

Multiple bodies with dedicated lenses are a possible solution that some professional shooters employ.

I prefer to just clean my own sensors as needed, and change lenses quickly and as "protectedly" as possible in the field. Small amounts of "dust spotting" can be handled pretty easily in post-processing if need be.

Sensor cleaning thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8350
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I clean my sensor whenever I get noticeable dust spots. Probably between 1 and 3 months. I use the LensPen Sensor Klear (about $10):

http://www.lenspen.com/403/377/
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I tend to run my lenses wide open most of the time, and shoot indoors in a theater, so dust and frequent lens changes are not an issue. Even with that, I must have the most dust-resistant 20D ever made. I have only had to resort to full-blown wet swabbing twice in it's now-over-3-year life and brushing a few times. I agree that the dust thing has been blown completely out of proportion--both the risk and frequency (obviously the frequency is a big YMMV depending on use & conditions).
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Using sealed lenses, changing lenses less, changing lenses quicker will all reduce sensor dust.

I clean it if I see sensor dust n my shots.

As for sensor cleaning, I'd save the time and gas and do it at home.
    I find the eclipse system to be very good.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I've never cleaned my sensor in over 2 years besides using a rocket blower. It all depends on what you are shooting. I mostly use large apertures so the dust doesn't show up in many of my pictures. I do change lenses often and outside. The only images I really notice the dust is when shooting macro with a small aperture. In my opinion sensor cleaning should not be something to keep you up at night. If you notice dust, clean your sensor. If you are comfortable doing it yourself then go ahead, if not then send it in.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 22, 2007
    I also have never cleaned my sensor, or touched it, not that I wouldn't if I had to. About every third or fourth lens swap, I will grab the Giottos blower and blast it and the mirror. I won't wait until I see spots. The blower is packed in my bag, so it is at the ready and a reminder of good lens and camera maintenance.

I have a theory, right or wrong, that if dust stays on the sensor very long, it will be more difficult to remove.

To check for dust while exposing a picture, I find the best way to do this is with one's widest lens (set to the widest focal length), at the highest (smallest) aperture, and focus as near as possible, point it at a clear point in the sky, and hit the shutter button. This should show the dust at it's worst.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky