Narrow depth of floral presentation

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited May 31, 2007 in Technique
For macro photography, the Narrow depth of field achieved with a very narrow aperature, can assist in not only fading subject matter, but also excellent bokeh. Low ISO for excellent detail and clarity.

I was particularly pleased with this image because it gives a lot of detail, but fades to a background that it stands out very well from, offering a lot of suttle hughes of leaves and light as background, also note framing is even side to side with blooms. Mountain Laurel indeed is a pleasant subject. I saw this spot on Friday, but ad my daughter's dog with me, so needless to say my time was limited for detailed shooting, so I went back to the spot on Sunday, expressly to spend more time with this tree!

You shot any good examples using any of these techniques lately? Your thoughts on mine?

I used a fill flash with R1C1 dual flash ring with SU-800 commander for this Mountain Laurel shot, D2X Nikon with 105VR lens, Location, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN.

155081271-L.jpg

Comments

• nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Lex wrote:

You shot any good examples using any of these techniques lately? Your thoughts on mine?

with the exeption of that little branch in front of cluster on the right it came out very nice.
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    ?
    I think you would use a wide aperature to decrease the depth of field. The f stop would be a smaller number but the actual opening would be bigger. There is an inverse relation here.

I think the photo is nice.
    :hide
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I use a diopter and shoot at F5.6 to get a similar effect:

155269262-L.jpg

FWIW: I shoot with Canon's 100mm macro and I never crop. The critter is about eight inches from the front of my lens...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • jelly beansjelly beans Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I can share one. I'm pretty new at this so I'm not sure what the camera settings were.

What do you think?