Lighting a group

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited May 24, 2007 in Technique
I am set to do team and individual photos for 11 soccer teams Friday and Saturday. I hope to do all of them outdoors in natural lighting. However, if it is raining, we have a building to use as backup. I've been in it - it is a small storage area, with ugly taupe walls - no long uninterrupted expanse either. So I will have to buy some kind of cloth for a backdrop.

Lighting is overhead fluoescent, high, barred windows. So I will need some lighting.

Is my money best spent on a flash or on lights?

This is a $1200 payout, so I can use some of the money to buy lights.

ann

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Ann,
    Ann McRae wrote:
    This is a $1200 payout, so I can use some of the money to buy lights.
    ann
    I'd say: decide on the whole system you want to have eventually, and start with buying parts of it. Unlike lenses, lights are kinda specialty items, so you will find it hard to sell your old ones quickly.
    Two lights will eat all all your payout and then some (unless you go for cheap AC + wired). I'd get one wireless (plus pole + diffusor, etc. it adds up VERY quickly ne_nau.gif )
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Well, Nik, keep your fingers crossed for me - weather forecast is for sun and warmth, not rain. I'll take grey skies, just not rain. So I think these will happen outdoors. (hope, hope, hope) Then I can spend the money on a lens or a workshop or new car tires or new furniture or taxes...........

ann
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'd say: decide on the whole system you want to have eventually, and start with buying parts of it. Unlike lenses, lights are kinda specialty items, so you will find it hard to sell your old ones quickly.
    Two lights will eat all all your payout and then some (unless you go for cheap AC + wired). I'd get one wireless (plus pole + diffusor, etc. it adds up VERY quickly ne_nau.gif )
    HTH