Options

Start me off right (20D)

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited February 10, 2005 in Cameras
Ok, if I am buying the 20D (body only) what else do you recommend that I get?

I have a small bag that my 828 rides in right now but should fit the 20D.
I have 2 512 meg and 1 2GB CF card

I know I want to buy the 70-200 IS L 2.8 as my first lens as well.

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    BBones wrote:

Tell us what you have, bones...then we can suggest what you need. deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    heh

Right now I have nothing outside of about 3 gigs of CF cards. I can buy the 20D but not the 1D Mark II. I will be doing ALOT of motorcycle and car racing this summer as well as a few weddings (2 so far).
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    heh

Right now I have nothing outside of about 3 gigs of CF cards. I can buy the 20D but not the 1D Mark II. I will be doing ALOT of motorcycle and car racing this summer as well as a few weddings (2 so far).

The 70-200/2.8 is a good choice then. For weddings, consider adding a 24-70/2.8L. Or possibly the Tamron 28-75/2.8 for considerably less money. I've heard varying reports on the quality of the Canon 24-70/2.8. It definitely does not have the universal admiration the 70-200 does.

The Canon 28-135 is a good walk-around general purpose lens as well, but I don't know if I'd want to do weddings with it. Depends on how much they spend on your services. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    What glass are you using Bill? I see you taking MX shots.

mercphoto wrote:
    The 70-200/2.8 is a good choice then. For weddings, consider adding a 24-70/2.8L. Or possibly the Tamron 28-75/2.8 for considerably less money. I've heard varying reports on the quality of the Canon 24-70/2.8. It definitely does not have the universal admiration the 70-200 does.

The Canon 28-135 is a good walk-around general purpose lens as well, but I don't know if I'd want to do weddings with it. Depends on how much they spend on your services. :)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    What glass are you using Bill? I see you taking MX shots.

I have used the 28-135 for MX and the results are pretty good. Since buying my 70-200/2.8L/IS, though, I use that nearly all the time. IS is off unless I'm panning, and then its in mode 2.

I know another race photog who uses the 70-200/2.8L/IS and a 28-70/2.8L exclusively.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    Yeah I do A LOT of panning in my shoots so that is why I was looking at getting the IS version.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Yeah I do A LOT of panning in my shoots so that is why I was looking at getting the IS version.
    The 70-200/2.8L IS is a great all-around lens, and very good for sports, assuming you're not too far away. You may also consider getting a 1.4x multiplier to extend your reach. Turns the lens into an f4, which is perfectly reasonable for outdoors.

Tripod? Monopod? Ballhead? Macintosh? Card reader? Wide angle zoom? 24-70/2.8L (one of my favorite lenses)? good weight-bearing strap, like an Op/Tech? High quality multi-coated UV or Skylight filters to protect your precious lenses? Zoom holster for when you don't want to take the entire gear bag? Spare battery (or two)? Double charger? Macro lens? Babyback ribs, slow cooked over indirect heat? :food
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    You're going to want a wider lens than the 70-200. It's too long. Plus, it's too heavy and bulky to be your everyday lens.

And it's definitely not the best glass for weddings, when you'll be trying to get group shots or shots inside tight quarters.

If you have the dough, I agree with the 24-70 suggestion.

You're gonna need a bigger bag. And a sturdy tripod. And a card reader. And I'd strongly suggest a back-up battery.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NoNoNoNo Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    What do you mean by body-only? When I went to buy my D70, I found out that meant no cables, no software, no battery and no charger, kind of important things if you'd actually like to use the camera. Once I added that on, there went that $300 I thought I had saved.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    BBones wrote:

Hi Brandon
    I have a lowepro bag that my 828 plus tcon plus polarizer, mini tripod, memory sticks etc (if necessary my sons diabetes supplies) all fit into.
    My 20d w/ either lens plus my other lens both fit into it at the same time.
    I currently have the 17 - 85mm IS lens and the 85mm f1.8 that I bought for indoor soccer. I love that lens. I have had nice results with the 17 - 85mm even though it gets dissed alot. I think that the shots are nice, crisp and colorful, like the 828 or 707 shots are. I am not a pixel peeper though. One thing, though, it is not fast - in poorer lighting conditions, high ISO or flash are necessary. Outdoors, in daylight, it does fine. Would take great beach shots in Maui!!!!!

The 85mm is a really lovely portrait lens but I find it is too long for indoor across the room candids, by and large. It was the only lens I had when I was asked to take a photo of 2 boys and their grandma, and I had to back up a long way to get all of them into frame.

I do not think the 70 - 200 would fit in this bag of mine. It is next on my list of lenses, along with a 300mm or maybe a 400 mm.

I have found that a monopod is extremely helpful for my soccer shooting. The 20d is not really heavy, and neither is the 85mm, but the monopod has really helped eliminate motion blur/camera shake for me.

And btw, lens hoods are typically sold seperately! Budget for them for your outdoor lens.

ann

I do not really know what to recommend for weddings, so defer to the experts.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 10, 2005
    fish wrote:
    The 70-200/2.8L IS is a great all-around lens, and very good for sports, assuming you're not too far away. You may also consider getting a 1.4x multiplier to extend your reach. Turns the lens into an f4, which is perfectly reasonable for outdoors.
    fish has an excellent suggestion. I'd add the extra batteries and consider a good
    flash (with quantum battery) and bracket for the weddings.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    why not pay the extra $100 for the lense.. it's a nice lense!
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Thanks Fish, you just put me into debt :)

Yes I will be buying the 1.4xTC, an extra battery and a 2nd 2 GB CF card along with a reader. I can only afford to buy one lens for right now and I have to get the big one for the race season. 2 weddings versus about 75 race shoots tells me where the money is and where my priorities lie in the immediate sense.

Would a monopod be a smart idea with the 70-200 and the 20D or would it defeat the purpose of getting the IS version? I understand it is quite heavy and I will be shooting all day, sometimes 3 days in a row. I need to keep mobile while on the track (hopefully not TOO mobile if someone crashes).

Would the 17-40 be a smarter buy or the 24-70 as my next piece of L glass? Remember, I am keeping my 828 for basic shots, walkabouts and hiking. The 20D is for my more professional shoots.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    bbones... buy your bat. off ebay.. I can give you a name of a good seller... I got 2 bat. for a total of $15.00 (that includes shipping) and they work as good as my bat. from canon. They are the 511 but don't have canon's name on it. that will save you 120 for 2 of them.
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Are the compatibles as good as the OEM batteries?

Thoughts folks?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 10, 2005
    BBones wrote:

Would the 17-40 be a smarter buy or the 24-70 as my next piece of L glass? Remember, I am keeping my 828 for basic shots, walkabouts and hiking. The 20D is for my more professional shoots.
    I'm a fan of the 24-70. Very nice lens.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    I can't tell the diffrence. I have shoot about a 1,000 photos on both batteries... I figured for 15.00 that if they went bad i was only out 15 vs. the 60.00 for an oem. But they charge as fast and I have not seen a diffrence... the only way i know is if i look on the bottom of them.
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm a fan of the 24-70. Very nice lens.

Ian

Me too. The 17-40 is a good lens, but not as versatile as the 24-70.
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    NoNo wrote:
    What do you mean by body-only? When I went to buy my D70, I found out that meant no cables, no software, no battery and no charger, kind of important things if you'd actually like to use the camera. Once I added that on, there went that $300 I thought I had saved.
    See there is your problem, you bought Nikon, should have bought Canon :D

Actually with Canon, when they say body only it comes with everything needed, just not a lens. You get just the body.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    See there is your problem, you bought Nikon, should have bought Canon :D

Actually with Canon, when they say body only it comes with everything needed, just not a lens. You get just the body.

Either he bought it used or from a disreputable dealer. According to bhphoto.com, the D70 body comes with the following:

• MH-18 Quick Charger
    • MS-D70 Battery Holder (for using 3x CR2 batteries)
    • USB Cable
    • Video Cable
    • Strap
    • Body Cap
    • Eyepiece Cap
    • LCD Monitor Cover
    • Software CD-ROM (PictureProject)
    • User's Guide
    • 1 Year U.S.A. Limited Warranty
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    NoNo wrote:
    Sounds like you talked to a Brooklyn dealer.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Are the compatibles as good as the OEM batteries?

Thoughts folks?
    I've read that they die younger, that OEM batteries keep working for more months/years.
    Sid.