Sf #1

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited May 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi folks, I'm back from my trip. I thought I'd put up a couple of shots and see if there's anything you like.

From Bodie.
155242142-L.jpg

2 (I sure wish that sign wouldn't have been there)
I may try to make it a for sale sign or something like that.
155242103-L.jpg

Mono Lake
155242074-L.jpg

Yosemite
155242046-L.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I like this one, but I think it would be more effective if we could see a bit more of the landscape. This way the feeling of having been abandoned would be more pronounced.

Love it! It's my favorite. Bummer about the sign though. If making a new one that says "For Sale" doesn't work you can always clone out the "Do not climb on" sign. thumb.gif

The rock formation is intriguiging. I wonder how a section of it would look as a abstract? The colors and textures are pretty cool!!

This one is my second favorite. thumb.gif But I keep wondering how it will look in B & W.
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Great stuff Dave, we had a ball shooting with you guys.

I really like the truck, I've never taken one if it I've liked yet..
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I guess old cars don't do much for me but technically they are great shots. The fourth looks like shots I've seen before but again it is a good, technically sound shot.

I would go for number three out of your selection of great shots. The subtle color has an almost painterly quality to it. And I love the smooth reflection. Could almost put it on end for an abstract/fractal type thing too. As I got to this one my reaction was "wow"...and that's a good thing.:D

Good Luck! Dizzy
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    #1 just doesn't hold my attention
    #2 is my favouritethumb.gifthumb
    #3 is also very nice, but seems to be too close to the right hand side for comfort and there seems to be the tail of the loch ness monster in the water:D
    #4 very nice, but too "generic" with nothing really grabbing me.

Looks like you had a great trip.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    #2. Even with the sign. I love the angle, the sky and the vintage car (they do do something for me.mwink.gif)

Virginia

Email
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I have seen a lot of photos this year from Bodie and it makes me want to go there each time.

#1 Love the tones and detail but everything seems cluttered in the center

#2 Love it. Angle- Sky- Comp- A very nice photo! thumb.gif

#3 Seen it. Though the formations are interesting there have been many posts of similar and this one does nothing to stand out. It is nice but not spectacular.

#4 Another good shot but another over shot- shot.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Hi Dave! I hope you had a great time.

#1 has me bouncing back and forth between the car and the house. It's a neat shot, but I find the two very strong elements competing for focal attention.

#2 I love the sky in this and the car itself. I'm not as bothered by the sign, but the large space between the car and the gas pumps is a little distracting.

#3 Is my favorite. I love the colors and the stillness of the water. The converging lines are the only thing that I would recommend working on. Maybe you have another shot where this isn't the case? If not, perhaps even try cloning the formation furthest to the rear so it is not touching that far shoreline, or perhaps even try getting rid of it altogether.

#4 I agree with Linda that B&W may make this shot more interesting. A little more saturation? I don't know. It's one of those scenes that is so awesome in real life that it's difficult to translate it's full scale and beauty in a photo.

Just MHO. Best of luck!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    #1 I like this shot. Try cloning out the buldings on the right in the background to make the building look more alone in the desert.

#2 Personally I find that the truck, and to a lesser degree the pumps are getting lost a bit in the background buildings. To me, desert shots are often about desloation so having your subject competing with the background seems a bit out of place.

#3 I like this shot, but then I have always liked Mono Lake shots. The small rock in the backround needs to go. Also, I think it needs a little more breathing room on the right.

#4 It is hard for me to comment on this shot because it is so familiar. IT seems like every time I go to the valley, I take this shot (or one close enough to it to be indistinguishable from it).
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    OK. #2 with the truck seems to have the most positive comments.

So here's that one again.
    155242103-L.jpg

and a couple of new ones
    Golden Gate Bridge
    155391563-800x800.jpg

Lighthouse
    155391579-800x800.jpg

Frozen Lake
    155391572-L.jpg
    dave.

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    For me Dave
    It's #1 or the lighthouse. I love the composition of the lighthouse...nice mood, nice color. About the only downside to that particular shot is the lighthouse is a bit bright (well, both structures on the point actually). The brightness of the white wants to rule the rest of the shot. IMHO, I'd burn those (as in dodge/burn...ie.darken) and the power tree to the left of it..that way the light will still be identifyable as the lighthouse and not distract from the pointed rocks in the foreground and the city out towards the right.

Your truck/gas pump shot rocks too..but for some reason (prolly cause I love landscapes) the lighthouse lights me up.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I still like the truck (haven't commented before, but have been looking and thinking). The lighthouse is second for me, I like the mood... it almost seems like it's a hair tilted clockwise. Some fog closer to it would have made it a sure winner for me. The frozen lake is pretty, but there isn't a dominant focal point. Golden Gate is nice, but nothing really special about it. Nice work, though.
    Chris
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    I like the old truck that you entered -excellent composition! thumb.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited May 23, 2007
    I see you've already entered the truck -- good choice. thumb.gif The lighthouse is also excellent, in case you have a change of heart. mwink.gif

By the way, where was that snow picture taken? Seems like an unusual shot for this time of year in our hemisphere.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    I see you've already entered the truck -- good choice. thumb.gif The lighthouse is also excellent, in case you have a change of heart. mwink.gif

By the way, where was that snow picture taken? Seems like an unusual shot for this time of year in our hemisphere.

Thanks folks.

The snow shot was taken in Yosemite National Park on the Tioga pass.
    That pass was just opened in the last week or two.
    dave.

edited May 23, 2007
    davev wrote:
    The snow shot was taken in Yosemite National Park on the Tioga pass. That pass was just opened in the last week or two.
    That's totally amazing!! And it JUST opened? Thanks for the geography lesson. :D
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    I really like the very first one (house and car wreck).
    Robert