Options

Wild Utah

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    Here is one of my shots I have gotten to edit. So many, so little time!!

Sheila

Hi Sheila,
    Welcome back, great shot. Hope so see more posted soon. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 29, 2007
    wave.gif Sheila!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    Utahan Sunrise
    Technically this shot was taken on the first day of the Wild Utah trip while we were still in Colorado. :D

156447362-L.jpg
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Hi Fred and Ian! It is good to see that everyone made it back safely! I am waiting to see everyones picts from the trip! I had a Santa shoot today. Here is one of my shots from that. This guy is so great to work with. We are suppose to do some in his convertible and some beach shots too later. Uhhh ohhh, I don't see my name on the nice list._MG_7364webshot2.jpg
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    Hi Fred and Ian! It is good to see that everyone made it back safely! I am waiting to see everyones picts from the trip! I had a Santa shoot today. Here is one of my shots from that. This guy is so great to work with. We are suppose to do some in his convertible and some beach shots too later. Uhhh ohhh, I don't see my name on the nice list._MG_7364webshot2.jpg

Sheila
    Ya sure this is not Gary?

What a contrast to Utah, I always wonder how people will interpret what they pick up on the way. In other words, how you will use painting with light, sun stars or cropping blown skys! I look forward to seeing what you come up withthumb.gif Glad to see you excluded the blown sky in this one:D

Cheers
    Marc
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Marc,
    I am planning on using some of the technique that I learned in Seattle next week. I am going to try and shoot Snoqualamie falls at night. Now, I just have to go buy a huge mongo flashlight. I know that the Santa shot wasn't really for this thread, but I thought he looked good. I am looking forward to seeing more of your picts when you get them up on the web. Take care and it was great to be able to pick at your brain and learn more.

S
    Sheila
    Ya sure this is not Gary?

What a contrast to Utah, I always wonder how people will interpret what they pick up on the way. In other words, how you will use painting with light, sun stars or cropping blown skys! I look forward to seeing what you come up withthumb.gif Glad to see you excluded the blown sky in this one:D

Cheers
    Marc
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    The semi-official ride of Wild Utah in IR.

156007243-M.jpg

Ok, so it was the ride we all took and maybe not the official kind but the
    'burb got us all through Wild Utah!

This shot is just way coolclap.gifclap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2007
    Wild Utah Panoramic
    It's hard to believe that a month has past since the Wild Utah Workshop.
    I am sure that there are a lot more pictures to be posted from the shoot.

We spent so much time preparing for and taking great pano shots.
    I just put another set of 10 pics (portrait style) together of Goblin Valley. Here is the large version.
    The details (and imperfectionseek7.gif ) can really be seen on the original size linked below.
    If you look carefully, you can see Sheila, Schmooo, 2 Ians :D , and Andy in the pic.
    Hope to see more panos from the rest of the group.:D

Here is the Large (L) size:

163493596-L.jpg

Here is a link to the Original (O) size.
    http://photosbyfred.smugmug.com/photos/163493596-O.jpg
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Fred W wrote:
    It's hard to believe that a month has past since the Wild Utah Workshop. I am sure that there are a lot more pictures to be posted from the shoot....I just put another set of 10 pics (portrait style) together of Goblin Valley. ... Hope to see more panos from the rest of the group.:D
    Fred

That's a great pano. clap.gif And I greatly enjoyed the five pages of your Wild Utah pictures posted so far. Such a variety!

My pictures are taking shape, slowly. I've changed my workflow, and I'm re-learning Photoshop. All in good time.

Skip
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Fred

That's a great pano. clap.gif And I greatly enjoyed the five pages of your Wild Utah pictures posted so far. Such a variety!

My pictures are taking shape, slowly. I've changed my workflow, and I'm re-learning Photoshop. All in good time.

Skip

Thanks Skip. I know you took a ton of pic's during the workshop. I'll keep an eye peeled for your posts. :D
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Fred

Glad to see you spent some time stitching. Was this done with CS3?
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    me too....me too....

though i'm not convinced about my technique.

164463779-M.jpg
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    me too....me too....

though i'm not convinced about my technique.

164463779-M.jpg

Want... to click... for larger.... :cry
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Want... to click... for larger.... :cry

OK.
  • Options
    gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Am I catching the hint of a rainbow over the right side of the 2nd large rock formation?? If so, I'd love to see the sky exposed to deepen that and then merged with the rest of the landscape! Of course it's possible my eyes deceive me.... headscratch.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 20, 2007
    Fred

I've been playing with PhotoMerge in CS3 since I got home from the workshop, and it is head and shoulders over its previous incarnations..

It seems able to stitch frames together that were not shot on a tripod but loosely hand held and shot in Manual. It is really remarkable how well it works. The ability to open all frames simultaneously in ACR and have them all opened with the same settings make pano making a lot of fun.

Here is one that I shot hand held as the sun was already below the cloud horizon - 8 frames with a 1DsMkll - I literally had less than 60 seconds to get this before the light disappeared - (I knew the light was flat but I had raced 70 miles trying to get here before the sun set, and I was on time 10 minutes before official sunset - but the horizon was occulted by a cloud layer than caused a premature sunset!! - Don't you just hate that when that happens?)

So the image is not nicely lit (I missed the grazing late evening light by less than 2 minutes) but the ability to construct an 8 frame pano that was just held up and fired off, is remarkable. Used properly, PhotoMerge will be dynamite!

165014635-L.jpg

The full size image can be seen here

Panos at infinity are easier of course; how about one hand held just at one's feet? - three frames - wide angle - just to see if it would work - the frames were not really even shot with a pano in mind, just three grab shots, the decision to try a pano came after the previous pano was constructed as an after thought.

163012420-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Fred

Hi Marc. Stitching is addicting. I'm still using CS2 but expect to do the CS3 upgrade in the near future. I plan on doing a lot more panos and eventually I want to get the 24mm Tilt-Shift lens and do dual row panos. :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Wonderful photos everyone thanks for showing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery