LPS SF4 (pyros first try)

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited May 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took me forever to be able to go out to shoot. Here is what I got so far. I like the tranquility of these, but I don't know if they're too low key for most people.

P5231646_filtered.jpg

P5231643_filtered.jpg

P5231640_filtered.jpg

P5231617_filtered.jpg

P5231610_wide.jpg

#5 (narrow crop)
P5231610_narrow.jpg

#6 (infrared)
P5221600_n.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Out of the photos you posted I like #2 & #6 the most.

#1 - it's to boring and the post in a straight line like that seem to enhance the boredom

#2 - is a lot more interesting and closer therefore has something to focus on. A really close crop on the two seagulls at the end of the poles would have been cool.

#3 & #4 - are very similar and the poles running at almost the same height as the horizon which is almost smack bang in the middle of the image makes it, sorry to sound repetitive, boring

#5 - the angles show promise on both of them, but there's nothing to see

#6 - I like this image, mainly because it's different from the others, but it lacks power with the horizon running through the middle.

I've seen what you're capable of and this is a good appetizer, but I'm looking to forward to the much more substantial main course that I know you’ll produce.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Personally, I love #2 and #3. Both are just gorgeous. For #3 I'd try cropping a little off the bottom to get your horizon less in the middle and clone out the two white areas in the foreground.

Best of luck!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    #2 could have possibilities, but I’m not gone on the colour tint.
    What about taking #2, move slowly to the right with camera at top or half of pole height, but don’t have large gaps between the poles. Maybe even overlap.
    Robert
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 24, 2007
    Of the above I like #3 the most, but I would straighten the horizon and crop the top and bottom part of the photo as both the sky and the rocks are pretty featureless. Nice colors!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Keep shooting... These don't compete with seastack's images:cry

As you stated in his thread, "kick it up a notch" or 2 or 3:D if you intend on going with this type of shot... I'm no expert on IR but it looks flat and the aparent movement of the tree branches is troublesome... makes me think it must have been breezy...

The best of luck
    Winston
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I see what you were going for. But you'd need a more dramatic sky and reflections to pull any of these off for this semi-final round. ne_nau.gif Composition-wise, I like #2 and #5.

If you've been to Grounds for Sculpture you don't live too far from me and I know that the past few days our skies at sunset have been rather disappointing.

If we have good sunset skies and color any time before the deadline, I'd head out to that place again and rehoot. But keep other options open.

Your photos look like they may have been taken somewhere in Monmouth County, NJ. If it's not an inconvenient drive for you, check out Holmdel Park or Sandy Hook for photo possibilities.
  • speedracer04speedracer04 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    i am going to go against what everyone else is saying.

i like number 1 the most but i wish there was one that was the angle of number 4 or 5 but shoot more like number 1 so the water was the smooth look.

#2 just does not really do anything for me
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Thanks for your feedback guys. Some very good points here (esp. about competing with seastack headscratch.gif) I'm going to post another branch of photographs to see what you guys think about those. Meanwhile I'll try to get out there tonight and reshoot.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    like speedracer, I like #1 the most and #2 does nothing for me

I like calm, serene pics...maybe if #1 were cropped on the top and right to put the pier off center and the horizon at the top third of the pic...I really like the pic, it has a slightly creepy feel to it

(although I like your new pics as well)

amy:)
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I like #1 the most. I'd crop it to a pano (horizon at 1/3) and get rid of the pilings(?) on the left. That said, I'd try to catch this with some wave action at sunset, or just after, for a long exposure and soft light. If the water had a very smooth, ethereal, almost foggy feel, the simplicity of this composition would be a winner. It needs to be very simple to work though. Any extraneous material (lights/objects on horizon, even horizon itself) will be a distraction. It's been done a lot by some famous photographers for a reason. Actually, I've been looking for a similar scene but couldn't find just the right combination. Still looking ... mwink.gif

Great idea, best of luck!!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Pyro,
    Maybe #1 with a very tight crop, so no ground and no horizon are visible.
    Still not seem on par with others'... ne_nau.gif
    (And if it's any consolation, neither is mine:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"