Options

LPS SF1 - inspired by Jack Vettriano

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited May 30, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've wanted to try this out for a while. One of my favorite artists is Jack Vettriano (http://bertc.com/subtwo/gallery_30.htm) These shots are not copies of his paintings, but rather are inspired by him. Let me know what you think about the shot/composition and whether it's too over processed. I still wanna do some PP to clean these up.

#1a (wide)
jv2.jpg

#1b (crop)
jv2a.jpg

#1c (crop)
jv2b.jpg

#2a
jv1.jpg

#2b
jv1a_resize.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    #1! Very nice... I like the whole of that image best.....
  • Options
    amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    yes, #1a for me as well

I like the more voyeuristic feel of being back a little further from the subjects in that one. I like the colors, the pp...but I'm into that stuff so don't go strictly by me on that. I really like the positioning of the models. I like that you can see the wedding ring on the man's hand. It makes me wonder if he's with his wife, or if he's so rotten he wears his ring while with his mistress(?) and doesn't even care. Interesting...

amy:)
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Of all of them I prefer 2b. That one shows the most detail on the monitor I'm currently viewing it with. I like the way the man is looking at the woman. The thing I don't care for is the gun. For me, it's way too macabre. ne_nau.gif IMO, she's better off holding a purse. Or, if she's supposed to be angry at him for something, a rolling pin.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    #1a for me too. I like the negative space on the left, though maybe a touch more detail in his feet/legs if possible.
    Chris
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    1a appeals the most to me. However, I do feel that the couch is a little centered - maybe crop out the white space on the right to tighten the image a bit?

Sunita
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    What do you guys think about this one? On it's own, and in the context of the semi-final (i know most images entered so far are very clean cut and clear, while mine is more dark, noisy and grungy)

_JV_3rdpass.jpg
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I like the texture, but it seems too contrasty (sp?!) and oversaturated. I still prefer the first image.

Sunita
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    I like the texture, but it seems too contrasty (sp?!) and oversaturated. I still prefer the first image.

Sunita
    15524779-Ti.gif I like the first one a lot.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

As you can see from my entry so far I like dark, noisy and grungy :-)
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    Thanks for all your great feedback guys. I was thinking about entering some of my landscape photos, but quite frankly, this style is more me.

This is what I'll be entering. Some selective burning, removed that anoying magenta colorcast, tuned up some colors (red in particular) - gotta love selective color adjustment =c) The sharpening helps out a bit too. If you have any more C&C, I'm always glad to hear it.

jv2_fixedColor+burn_filtered.jpg
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Overall, I really like the mood of this shot. I don't know the artist you are inspired by, but it has a very 70s retro feel to me.

I'll have to look at it on my calibrated monitor at home, but my first instinct is that you burned down the left edge of the couch too much; the half of the frame is looking a little empty to me. I don't know what your original looks like, but I also think it needs a little more breathing room at the bottom if you can get it.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    I like your entry very much, love the negative space and the overall feel, it made my top ten, FWIW.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    lynnesite wrote:
    I like your entry very much, love the negative space and the overall feel, it made my top ten, FWIW.

graci =c)
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    FWIW, I put your image at #1 - I really liked the final result!!!

ann
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    FWIW, I put your image at #1 - I really liked the final result!!!

ann

WoW, thank you guys =c) I'm floored.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I love your entry and admire you for entering a photograph that is different from anything else we have seen in the contests. iloveyou.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love your entry and admire you for entering a photograph that is different from anything else we have seen in the contests. iloveyou.gif

Virginia

no guts, no glory, right? I don't remember who it was (Shay maybe?) who said "you gotta shoot for yourself".. so I did. I almost got it too so, I just gotta keep trying =c) Thanks for the kind words
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I really, REALLY like your final result.

Can you help out a novice? (I don't compete, but I'm interested for my own amatuer photos) How do you get that somewhat artificial, "painted" appearance? What post processing effects do you use?
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Green,

Can you help out a novice? (I don't compete, but I'm interested for my own amatuer photos) How do you get that somewhat artificial, "painted" appearance? What post processing effects do you use?

Here's an idea for you: join our Copy Cat Club, and use Pyro's image as your target. We'll get to it:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007

I'll try to right something up in the "Would the finalists like to share?" thread soon (maybe tonight)

For now download "Urban Acid" action from http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm and play around with it. This is how initially set up the colors. And also play around with the "Selective Color" filter. Great for removing specific color casts and boosting/changing colors you like.
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I'll try to right something up in the "Would the finalists like to share?" thread soon (maybe tonight). For now download "Urban Acid" action from http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm and play around with it.
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I think I'm also going to submit your photo to the CopyCatClub (unless you object).
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I think I'm also going to submit your photo to the CopyCatClub (unless you object).

I'd be flattered :D