Looking for advice on shooting shuttle launch

controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited May 31, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I'm going to be in Florida (Treasure Coast) the second week of June and would like to drive up and catch the shuttle launch. Can anyone who has done this provide any advice? Any tips re locations, camera settings and lens selections would be appreciated as I don't think they'll indulge me with a second launch if I screw up the first series. :dunno

Feel free to PM me or reply in thread... thanks!

- Mike
http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
Canon Speedlight 580EX
Kenko Extension Tubes

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    You wil probably get contradictory advice, but I would put the camera in P mode, take some test shots to see if the exposure looks good, and go from there. The only think I would worry about would be ISO. As you say, you are not going to get another chance.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I've never done it, but I can see a danger in the P mode. It will auto-expose. That is good under normal conditions, and it will look good while you're waiting forever for the vehicle to launch.

But when the engines fire, there will be a drastic change in lighting and contrast, and I can't help but wonder if the superbright rocket flame will trick the camera into disastrously underexposing the rest of the frame if it is in P mode. Might not be a big risk if it's a wide shot, but to be on the safe side I would use manual mode to perfect and lock down the expose of the normal ambient lighting at that time of day, and since the rocket's light will change the immediate area's lighting somewhat during the launch, I'd auto-bracket the exposure as it goes up. But again, I've never shot a rocket launch.
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Contact this guy:

http://www.launchphotography.com/

His name is Ben Cooper. He is a DGrinner. He does some outstanding launch photography. He also has a map/listing of good sites to take photography from.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Don't get too close.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    You wont be able to get close. You'll have a little bulb of light after your snap your picture. The launching area is toooooo far away. I hope to see what you come up with!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Having seen a few of them go up, some of the most amazing things to me where not just the launch but the effect of that power on the surrounding area. Such as being able to see the sound waves come across the lagoon. So don't forget to look around and see what else catches your eye.

Oh yeah, have fun!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Thanks guys! Sounds like I'll be better off watching and enjoying than worrying about getting a good shot - but I'll still try I am sure.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    By all means take your camera!! Other than being on the Cape itself the next best place is Titusville. You can get some great shots from there. You need to get to anyplace early as they are popular. The launch is suppose to be around 7:38 p.m. which will still be daylight. If you need directions or more info, go to the website of Ben Cooper which I mentioned above. I live 60 miles away in Orlando and can still see the launch from here. Very impressive (especially the night launches).
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I'm here I'm here :-)

By all means shoot it! What I always tell people is to set their camera up on a tripod and use their cable release or just press the button without looking through the viewfinder and thus just watching with your eyes and soaking it all in. That way you get the best of both. If you look through the viewfinder you're going to realize you forgot to watch and will not remember it well.

You can also take your launch shot, put the camera down and watch, then snap the whole smoke trail when it nears SRB separation.

I highly recommend making the trip over to Titusville. There's no more than 16 shuttle launches left. You won't regret it, and it is worth going back even if they scrub.

Good luck! Go for it!
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Have a great time! I used to watch the launches from my front yard, I miss watching the shuttle!!! Even from far away, you can get some great shots!!!! If you are too far away turn your camera to the people, there are always a few interesting folks around....
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    ...Or stand behind them and get them watching the launch if you want. And there will be no shortage of people there! There's a lot of ideas that can capture the moment well.
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    BPCooper wrote:
    ...Or stand behind them and get them watching the launch if you want. And there will be no shortage of people there! There's a lot of ideas that can capture the moment well.

ben, your shots are amazing!!!! I have enjoyed looking through them.