PhotoShop Crop Tool?

1033460410334604 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 24, 2007 in Finishing School
I am taking a college course and I have an assignment to ask a question on a photoshop user forum. Would someone be willing to give me the steps to use the following tool?

Please give the steps to use the crop tool (e.g. highlight a picture and crop the sides) using Photoshop.

This assignment was not intended to ask frivolous questions, but to demonstrate to the professor that we understand how to use a user forum.
Thank you for your help.

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I use voice activation to start CS2 then shout 'CROP' after I've loaded a small jpeg onto the screen.

Shouting 'CROP' activates the cutting cropper which I then make into a bigger shape by sweeping my finger over my 36inch touch screen monitor.

This often works but if I'm wrong on size I use a sharp knife to cut off bits from the side of the final print from my 9pin dot matrix printer.

Say hi to your professor...

thumb.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    On the slight chance that you wouldn't have access to Bodwick's right hand drive version of Photoshop only available in the UK rolleyes1.gif , here is another set of steps:

1. Open the file

2. Hit "C" to select the crop tool. The context sensitive toolbar on top has at least one commonly used settings for the crop tool: width/height (there are others but I won't discuss here).

3. If you do not have a desired hieght/width aspect ratio, simply drag the crop tool to the desired height and width and click the checkmark (or Enter) when done. OR

4. If you wanted a specific size (e.g. 8x10), type the desired height and width into the appropriate boxes on the tool bar, drag your selection, and hit the checkmark (or Enter).

This is a very simple example of crop using the left hand drive version of photoshop ...

Regards,
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Bodwick wrote:
    I use voice activation to start CS2 then shout 'CROP' after I've loaded a small jpeg onto the screen.

Shouting 'CROP' activates the cutting cropper which I then make into a bigger shape by sweeping my finger over my 36inch touch screen monitor.

This often works but if I'm wrong on size I use a sharp knife to cut off bits from the side of the final print from my 9pin dot matrix printer.

Say hi to your professor...

thumb.gif

You should upgrade to CS3 because your method is waaaay outdated. I simply put on my new Adobe CS3 (Cranial Sensing 3) baseball cap which reads your brainwaves and, via bluetooth, I can crop a picture just by visualizing the end result.

Shouting 'Crop' is soooo old school.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    You should change to the Photoshop Element 5.0 auto-crop tool. You can set the mode (via the Tool Options bar) to one of Landscape, Single Person, Close-up portrait, Group, Person + Landscape, Architecture. Based on the selected mode, the tool analyzes the contents of the photos, and determines the ideal cropping. (There is also an option to set the desired aspect ratio.)