SF1 - Feedback please

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited May 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, so I'm still working toward my best effort. I would love to have feedback, suggestions, preferences for the following:

156013188-L.jpg

156013260-L.jpg

156013374-L.jpg

156012973-L.jpg

or current entry
154616252-M.jpg

Thanks!
Emily :lust
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I'm leaning towards #4. It's the sharpest and the object of her affection is most obvious. #2 looks too staged (she should be looking AT the frog) and #3 the frog looks fake. #1 would have been my pick if her expression was more appropriate and if it had been clearer. (Was there softness beecause of a slow shutter? Or is it just me?)

#4 is just so simple and brings back so many memories of a time when I was a little girl. I really love it. Might be nice in B&W, too, but that may lose the frog too much in her overalls.

Very cute!

#5 is fun, but I don't think it's as good as #4.

Hoope that helps!
  • J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    4 Very cute.......Good workclap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Emily,
    None.
    Sorry.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I actually like #2. It tells the story a bit better than #4, but that is my second favorite. All of these choices are better than the current entry.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Of these, I like #4 the best. It's simple and sweet. I also like her expression in #3, but the shadow really takes away from it technically.
    Chris
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I love #2 - it's so sweeeeet.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Of these, I like #4 the best. It's simple and sweet. I also like her expression in #3, but the shadow really takes away from it technically.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    #4 is the best of the lot. Don't like the angle on #2.

I think you can do better...thumb.gif

sunita
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Sorry -I'm from Missouri and all I can think about is how good that frog's legs would be dipped in batter and fried... :D

In all seriousness: You've got three more days to shoot, and I think you're trying too hard. If I had to pick one it would be #4, but I know you've got more tallent... :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Glad you reconsidered. #2 would do it perfectly if she only looked at the frog. My vote’s for #4 after that.
    But if you add 4 and 2 it makes 42. That’s my favourite.
    Robert
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I think the princess and frog idea is an excellent one and has the potential to generate a winner. My advice is (if you can), keep at it because you have a chance to knock one out of the park. Here are some suggestions if you have a chance to shoot more shots with the frog:

First of all, I'd suggest using something that isn't green as a background. The frog, as I suppose you would expect, gets lost in the grass. A pond could work. Take a little time to hunt for a stage which supports your story and either good brightness or good color contrast with your subject.

One thing to try would be a face off pose kind of like #1, but shoot with wide angle lens close to the frog. That will make the frog appear larger and give him more weight in the frame.

Pick a particular story (The kiss? The face off?) and work it; the expression on the girl's face (your daughter I assume? she's beautiful btw) is what will sell the shot once all the technicalities are taken care of. Personally I like the face off story better because there is room for more complexity in the relationship between the princess and the frog.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Thank you so much to everyone for responding, especially those who gave constructive input. I think I will try to revisit the toad shots at some point in the future (when we happen upon one again!). The kissing was not contrived, actually, that was just Jessica being herself. She makes friends out of worms and kisses them too.

This has been an exhausting couple of weeks, but I have much to be thankful for. Natalie, my youngest (the baby in the garden) just turned one and today is her party. Today, my focus is on her...:D

Thanks again,
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    lps sf1
    Of all of these I like #4 the best.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I think the princess and frog idea is an excellent one and has the potential to generate a winner. My advice is (if you can), keep at it because you have a chance to knock one out of the park. Here are some suggestions if you have a chance to shoot more shots with the frog:

First of all, I'd suggest using something that isn't green as a background. The frog, as I suppose you would expect, gets lost in the grass. A pond could work. Take a little time to hunt for a stage which supports your story and either good brightness or good color contrast with your subject.

One thing to try would be a face off pose kind of like #1, but shoot with wide angle lens close to the frog. That will make the frog appear larger and give him more weight in the frame.

Pick a particular story (The kiss? The face off?) and work it; the expression on the girl's face (your daughter I assume? she's beautiful btw) is what will sell the shot once all the technicalities are taken care of. Personally I like the face off story better because there is room for more complexity in the relationship between the princess and the frog.

15524779-Ti.gif

The potential is really there. Great idea, great subject, warm light. You are so close!