Options

A few shots from Arizona

jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
edited February 26, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was pushing my poor little Olympus pretty hard for some of these.

This one was a play on reflections:

P2240042M.sized.jpg

Going for textures, rows, and angular shadows:

P2240049M.sized.jpg

Guess how this shot was made...

P2240056M.sized.jpg

And now for something completely different:

P2240074.sized.jpg

This one is my favorite, despite the sensor overload noise:

P2240059.sized.jpg
jim frost
jimf@frostbytes.com

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Good stuff jim. What model Olympus ?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Jim, want a little feedback? Just my humble opinion here...

The first shot has a nice reflection. But the framing's off. We can't see the entire weed both in, and out of, the water. Also, it's more or less dead center, which isn't typically a powerful place. You might check out some of the tips in this thread.

The second shot has a lot of promise, IMHO. Given the right exposure, it has some good color and texture. It's a little overexposed though. If you have a program that can treat images, you might try bringing down the levels and perhaps increasing the saturation.

I really like the 4th shot. I think it could use more saturation and maybe contrast. But it has cool colors and shapes.

My monitor can't do the last one justice, When I get the new one hooked up I'll come back and look at it again.

As I said, just my humble opinion, please feel free to ignore it all. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Good stuff jim. What model Olympus ?

C2500L. It has really served me well, but it sure is limited compared to my new 300D. :-)

jim
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Jim, want a little feedback? Just my humble opinion here...

Happy to have feedback, thanks.
    The second shot has a lot of promise, IMHO. Given the right exposure, it has some good color and texture. It's a little overexposed though. If you have a program that can treat images, you might try bringing down the levels and perhaps increasing the saturation.

Yea, actually that's already been significantly processed (using Photoshop Elements) even to get it to that point. I didn't muck with the levels (or, at least, I don't remember mucking with the levels) but I did increase saturation a lot. The Olympus' manual mode is really hard to deal with and it has a tendency to produce overexposed, undersaturated shots in bright sunlight - up to now I've pretty much thrown away shots that were probably very recoverable.

Thanks again for the feedback.

jim
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
    Knowhatcha mean... Patch has explained to me how sensitive are digital cameras to blowing out the highlights. He likened it to slide film -- not a lot of tolerance. The slide film thing doesn't mean much to me, but I get the concept.... I try to be wary of overexposing shots, but my skill level betrays me sometimes.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au