Predominately green

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited February 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is RAW processing only with a touch of USM added in photoshop.
Are the wet fronds too shiny? If I turn the exposure down it gets dull.
Is it possible to get the whole thing in focus? I suppose the foreground fronds would be too close, huh?

I'll try to find something better as the time goes on, but is this the idea that we want? Would something like the "Reedscape" that I posted a while back in landscapes be good?

Palmscape Feb. 08, 2005
15578886-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Spot on, in my opinion. And a very nice shot, too. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 9, 2005
    snap, how much USM? it almost seems like too much to my eyes. I LOVE the composition though, very nice!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    snap, how much USM? it almost seems like too much to my eyes. I LOVE the composition though, very nice!

It was not much, Settings: Amt. 50, Radius 1 pixel, and threshold 0. I think the problem is the shine of the water. The palms have white edges naturaly. I can show it with no USM.
    edited February 9, 2005
    Thanks Sid
    wxwax wrote:
    Spot on, in my opinion. And a very nice shot, too. nod.gif

I appreciate the input.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    snappy, I really like it. It certainly fits the criteria. And it is well composed, IMO. I don't think you would want those back fronds in focus.

I like it the way it is, don't know about the sharpening. That is out of my field of knowledge, or eye.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 9, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    snappy, I really like it. It certainly fits the criteria. And it is well composed, IMO. I don't think you would want those back fronds in focus.

I like it the way it is, don't know about the sharpening. That is out of my field of knowledge, or eye.

ginger

Thanks for the input Ginger. I'm just a little gun-shy re plants and flowers. If you know what I mean. I do think that the leaves underneath give it a lot of depth and something to draw your eye in. It makes me look a little longer. Do you get that feeling?
  • hqsbudhqsbud Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    I agree with others, I can't see anything to improve. The DoF seems right to me. I think sharpening tends to be pretty personal within a certain range, and the amount you have is probably the amount I would have done. Very nice!
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Hi Snappy.
    The only thing I would do (if it's allowed) is to turn it 180 degrees.
    Try it and see if you think it looks better.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Hi snappy, I really like this, I would play with it a bit (not ps of course:D ) and see what you can do.. to me it looks great, maybe a bit too shiny but maybe not. By the way.. I love your shots of flowers and plants.. they are always stunning thumb.gif
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Very Very Nice!
    I wouldnt do anything to this shot. When I opened this thread the image just jumped out at me. It is awesome IMO. Very nice work.thumb.gif
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
    edited February 10, 2005
    Thanks all...
    Thanks hgsbud, davev, Lynn, Mike... Gee, I didn't realize so many had stopped by. I'm going to post the first shot with no sharpening so you can see it. Got to get it uploaded first. I'm also going to try rotating it. Not sure about that, this is the way it grows. :D
    Meantime here's another.
    Flowering Tree
    15614974-L.jpg
    edited February 10, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks hgsbud, davev, Lynn, Mike... Gee, I didn't realize so many had stopped by. I'm going to post the first shot with no sharpening so you can see it. Got to get it uploaded first. I'm also going to try rotating it. Not sure about that, this is the way it grows. :D
    Meantime here's another.
    Flowering Tree
    15614974-L.jpg
    I absolutely love this one, Snappy.

(Bill's mother is dying..........across the country in AZ, I am upset. I came on here to calm down.)

The first thing I saw is this, it is gorgeous!

g
    edited February 10, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Hi Snappy.
    The only thing I would do (if it's allowed) is to turn it 180 degrees.
    Try it and see if you think it looks better.
    dave.

OK, here it is with no USM, just a little curves and rotated 180 degrees. What do you all think?

15646348-L.jpg
    edited February 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I absolutely love this one, Snappy.

(Bill's mother is dying..........across the country in AZ, I am upset. I came on here to calm down.)

The first thing I saw is this, it is gorgeous!

g

Thanks Ginger,
    I'm sorry to hear about Bill's mother. Give him our sympathies.

Glad you like this. I'm not sure. I kind of like the strong lines in the palm shot. This one seems a little busy maybe not strong enough in the focal point.
    edited February 10, 2005
    I like both of them. The Palm shot stays strong with me. I do like it flipped.

ginger
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    I like the fronds flipped as well. This picture packs a punch, and with the rotation the upward movement seems more natural, like it's waving hello and successfully gets your attention. I like the shine and sharp edges, makes me want to be fed grapes by hunky guys and fanned with one of those fronds, hehe. :) Very nice shot! clap.gif
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    I personally like this even better than the fronds. The first thing that strikes me about this is the fantastic deeper purples and it's segue' into a beautiful lavender, the color itself takes on a natural flow of movement just as much as the branches do. And the gradation of the bright white in the top left corner into a dusky purple in the opposite corner gives the photograph as a whole a very nice balance. Your focus is on the diagonal branch and that further carries the background gradation quite nicely. Overall the composition of this photograph with it's softness makes this photo appear almost surreal, as if it was in a cartoon. I am in love with this photograph!!
    iloveyou.gif
    edited February 10, 2005
    I personally like this even better than the fronds. The first thing that strikes me about this is the fantastic deeper purples and it's segue' into a beautiful lavender, the color itself takes on a natural flow of movement just as much as the branches do. And the gradation of the bright white in the top left corner into a dusky purple in the opposite corner gives the photograph as a whole a very nice balance. Your focus is on the diagonal branch and that further carries the background gradation quite nicely. Overall the composition of this photograph with it's softness makes this photo appear almost surreal, as if it was in a cartoon. I am in love with this photograph!!
    iloveyou.gif

Thanks for the very thorough critique, digital faerie. I'm glad you like it. Now I have votes for each and I have to decide. ne_nau.gif

It's hard to compare two very different styles of photograph, one bold and hard lined, one delicate and soft lined. I'll just have to live with them for a while and see which grows on me.

Thanks again for your help.
    edited February 10, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks for the very thorough critique, digital faerie. I'm glad you like it. Now I have votes for each and I have to decide. ne_nau.gif

It's hard to compare two very different styles of photograph, one bold and hard lined, one delicate and soft lined. I'll just have to live with them for a while and see which grows on me.

Thanks again for your help.

Snappy: ne_nau.gif

Ginger: :lol4

Fun isn't it. But a good fun. clap.gif

g
    edited February 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like both of them. The Palm shot stays strong with me. I do like it flipped.

ginger

Thanks Ginger, I appreciate you coming back for additional comments. I think I do like the palm shot flipped after all. Now I have to decide. Well, lots of time left. :D
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Hey Snappy.

I told you the flip would look good.:D
    I like the palms, the other pic is good, the the gray (overcast) sky kills it.

My vote, the palms.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I'm afraid I'm just going to add to the confusion. I LOVE the flowers. The purple is just so vibrant and so cheerful! I wish we had color like that in upstate Ny right now...all we have is just a lot of white. Beautiful!clap.gif Oh,on a side note. I know I don't really know you that well Ginger, but I am very sorry to hear about Bill's mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Very vibrant! Love it.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    They're both good. The flipped fronds are better but I vote, go with purple! That photo is just so alive! Anf Ginger's sentiment of calm cinches it!

Ginger - you're in my thoughts. Best wishes.