SF1: Are any of these contenders?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited May 29, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
PLEASE be brutal! I'm going to work a bit more on some of the PP (I'm not happy with the treatment on the second), but I'd love to have feedback on these 4 photos!

In no specific order:

1) 156019701-M-1.jpg

2)156019729-M-2.jpg

3) 156059724-M-1.jpg

4)156019711-M-1.jpg

Thank you so much! I'll take any and all CC!

I have others I considered here, if you're bored.

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I think that you've chosen the best from your selection on your site (yes I was bored:D)

I like the simplicity of #1 & #2 ad I can't decide which one I like the most. I wish in #1 I could see a bit of the child's face and #2 looks slightly over exposed (even though you may be going for an over exposed image - I still think it's over done a bit)

#3 looks like fun and I love the use of the narrow DOF, but I don't know if it would be a contender (but then again looks who's talking!)

#4 doesn't work for me. Sorry.

Great set of photos overall, it looks like you had a lot of fun taking these.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    I think that you've chosen the best from your selection on your site (yes I was bored:D)

I like the simplicity of #1 & #2 ad I can't decide which one I like the most. I wish in #1 I could see a bit of the child's face and #2 looks slightly over exposed (even though you may be going for an over exposed image - I still think it's over done a bit)

#3 looks like fun and I love the use of the narrow DOF, but I don't know if it would be a contender (but then again looks who's talking!)

#4 doesn't work for me. Sorry.

Great set of photos overall, it looks like you had a lot of fun taking these.

Thanks so much! I agree about #1 and #2 being the best. I put the others up on suggestions of other people....

I also agree about #2 and the treatment. I did it last night and frankly, I like the photo and not the conversion. These were all taken at roughly the same time so when I redo it, I should be able to get much better results. (I'll have to work on it later as that little cutie is helping me type this up right now. Laughing.gif!)

Thank you SO much for your feedback! I really appreciate it! And yup! I had a wonderful time with these.... :)
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I like 1 + 3. Contenders? Perhaps.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    #1 definitely. It has a great quiet introspection to it that evokes an emotion. Nice capture, and nice curls, too. thumb.gif Not sure I like the tint; I've noticed strange density and color shifts when posting my own images online (think it has something to do with sRGB vs. Adobe) and of course there are monitor variations. This might be better as straight B & W?
    edited May 25, 2007
    I like 1 + 3. Contenders? Perhaps.

Thanks!

seastack wrote:
    #1 definitely. It has a great quiet introspection to it that evokes an emotion. Nice capture, and nice curls, too. thumb.gif Not sure I like the tint; I've noticed strange density and color shifts when posting my own images online (think it has something to do with sRGB vs. Adobe) and of course there are monitor variations. This might be better as straight B & W?

Thanks! When I narrow it down to one or two, I'll redo the conversions on them (or it). I'm just not quite there with any of them in this whole set.

Part of it may have been the lighting, though. This was noon on an overcast day and the angle isn't really right. I may take the girls back out tonight and reshoot and see if I get anything better.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    #1, definitely!! thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Hey Andi! wave.gif

I love how the eyelashes pop out at me in #1, but I think I'd choose a reworked #2...her expression is adorable and the comp is very nice. I love #3...saw it on your SPAD! :D I was wondering, how did you get the DOF just right on the girls as you were all running??!

Welcome home and good luck shooting!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    My favorite is #3. I like the colors and freedom of motion. However, I don't think it's a contender because of the adult in the background. If he/she wasn't there (without the dirty butt mwink.gif) it would be a much stronger image for me.

Other than that I love the two little girls with one of them carrying a yellow flower that they're running through.
    Chris
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 25, 2007
    I'm more of a color person, not B&W or monochrome, so #3 grabs me the most. It would be even better with just the two little girls and cropped so that there is less background, but I really like the shallow DOF and the yellow flowers.
    #1 isn't bad either. I like the pensiveness of the little girl and how you emphasized her lashes.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited May 25, 2007
    Thanks, all! I've had some other feedback from a few other friends about some of the other photos not shown here (on my site, though) and I think I'm going to play a bit more. I also hope to do another shoot tonight or tomorrow night with better lighting. This one was a little improptu - it was more to make me feel better, but then I ended up liking far more of the photos than expected. (It was also to get, as Elain calls it, a SPAD! Laughing.gif!)
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey Andi! wave.gif

I love how the eyelashes pop out at me in #1, but I think I'd choose a reworked #2...her expression is adorable and the comp is very nice. I love #3...saw it on your SPAD! :D I was wondering, how did you get the DOF just right on the girls as you were all running??!

Welcome home and good luck shooting!

Elaine, it was a bit of a fluke! Laughing.gif! I set up the camera to take a photo of me running away towards the girls. I set the focus so I knew I wouldn't be there and the girls took off towards me! I love how their feet are in sync....
    My favorite is #3. I like the colors and freedom of motion. However, I don't think it's a contender because of the adult in the background. If he/she wasn't there (without the dirty butt mwink.gif) it would be a much stronger image for me.

Hey, you leave my dirty butt out of this! Laughing.gif!

SEriously, while I love this shot, I actually agree with you. I could PS myself out, I think. But I wonder if the girls would be too far apart then - I think it might lose that special something. That is, my dirty butt. rolleyes1.gif Actually, I do thing the composition would be compromised and it wouldn't be as good.

Thanks so much, everyone! I think I'm going to play around a little more with the photos I have and see if they pop more. I will definitely play with #1 as most people are leaning towards it. (Although, I have to admit it's not my favorite.)
    edited May 25, 2007
    annnna8888 wrote:
    I'm more of a color person, not B&W or monochrome, so #3 grabs me the most. It would be even better with just the two little girls and cropped so that there is less background, but I really like the shallow DOF and the yellow flowers.
    #1 isn't bad either. I like the pensiveness of the little girl and how you emphasized her lashes.

Ana

Thanks, Ana! Maybe I *will* try to PS myself out... Maybe I'm wrong! :D But I have two other photos I'm going to redo in color that may be better....

Thanks!
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 25, 2007
    Thanks, Ana! Maybe I *will* try to PS myself out... Maybe I'm wrong! :D But I have two other photos I'm going to redo in color that may be better....

Thanks!

Oh, that's you in the photo! rolleyes1.gif
    At least I didn't say anything about the dirty butt ... mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    seastack wrote:

#1 indeed. I too have been figting the gamut/posterizion demon on this round.

My suggestion is to convert it to straight B&W on a layer with something akin to an orange filter to brighten the pink sweater and darken the green (?) in the background. Then blend it with the original to bring in a touch of the original color.
    edited May 25, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    #1 indeed. I too have been figting the gamut/posterizion demon on this round.

My suggestion is to convert it to straight B&W on a layer with something akin to an orange filter to brighten the pink sweater and darken the green (?) in the background. Then blend it with the original to bring in a touch of the original color.

Hmmm, great idea. I actually use Lightroom, but I'm sure I can do something like that. Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    #1 just pulls me in -well done! thumb.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited May 27, 2007
    Okay, after seeing another child looking down photo in the contest, I decided not to enter #1. I just didn't want to dilute her photo or mine..... (If I had been REALLY set on mine, I might have, but I wasn't.)

So these are the three in the running for me:
    1. 156602882-M.jpg "cheeky monkey" or just "sam" - ugh, I am having a horrid time with a title for this shot. I actually don't like naming my portrait photos.
    2. 156602963-M.jpg "sad eyes"
    3. 156603087-M.jpg "in her eyes" - if you look closely, I'm actually in her eyes taking the photo
    I'm leaning towards #3 of this set, but wasn't sure if the cropped arm ruined it. I've cropped it closer and it's nice, but not as strong.

Thanks in advance.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Okay, after seeing another child looking down photo in the contest, I decided not to enter #1. I just didn't want to dilute her photo or mine..... (If I had been REALLY set on mine, I might have, but I wasn't.)

So these are the three in the running for me:
    1. 156603087-M.jpg "in her eyes" - if you look closely, I'm actually in her eyes taking the photo
    I'm leaning towards #3 of this set, but wasn't sure if the cropped arm ruined it. I've cropped it closer and it's nice, but not as strong.

Thanks in advance.

This shot definitely made me stop in my tracks. The amazing amount of detail and reflection in her eyes sets it apart, for me. I am curious how those eyes look in a color version? I'm not nuts about the sepia toning in photo overall, although it doesn't bother me in the eyes specifically. (So, how about a color version of the shot but then the eyes selectively sepia? NOT!!rolleyes1.gif)

Really, a gorgeous shot and I'm sure it'll be a contender whichever way you work it up!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I agree
    #1 & #3

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Sorry I am late to the game. #3 in both sets get my vote. On the first set, just PS the jeans not your self and it works. I agree if you were out of it the balance is thrown but then I like the idea of the parent/child message. In the second set both 2 & 3 are very good images but 3 has something more in the look of the child and the composition. Good job on all counts!
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I really like #3. Her eyes are amazing! But I am curious as to what crops you had in mind. I've scrolled the photo around on my screen and a squarish crop seems to bring her eyes out even more.

But go with what your gut instinct tells you to go with. mwink.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Very nice. It looks really good BIG in the entry thread. thumb.gif
    Chris
    edited May 29, 2007
    Sorry I took so long to reply to everyone! I read everything and took everything into account, but didn't have much time to reply. (Actually, this cutie is waking up so I still don't have much time, but....)

Lynne, there was way too much distraction that was practically impossible to remove from the background to do a color shot. But her eyes were amazing in it! Laughing.gif! I tried the sepia eyes, but didn't like it all that much. She looked MUCH creepier than she does in real life. rolleyes1.gif Thanks a TON for your feedback!

Tessa, thanks so much!

DaveK, thanks! I may just try to PS my jeans clean for giggles and grins. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Richtersl - I must have had a different crop in mind. You can see what I did for my self portrait of the day here: http://www.tippiepics.com/selfportrait. Because I'm reflected in her eyes, I cropped it much closer in the hopes that you could see it. I like that crop, but not as much. I may try again - I doubt I did a square one!

Thanks, ChrisJ! :D

Thanks again, all!