Nikon 50 f/1.8
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Tokina 12-24

I dream of having these someday:

nikon 85 f/1.4
nikon 105 micro (w or w/o VR?)
nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
some big zoom???

I have the money to get one of the above, but I can't choose one over another.

I tried out the older 105 micro (nikon) and it was super sharp, and I loved it, but until I tried it, I didn't think I needed one. Now i do.

I am a student and working for another photographer doing weddings, team portraits, etc. I am not shooting sports yet, other than my own children--who play everything it seems. I love all things photography, so I just cannot decide to "specialize" in any one area, I want to dabble in them all. So what lens will fill the missing holes in my bag? Suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tammi

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 25, 2007
    Hi Tammi,

You have some wonderful lenses, and you have most bases covered already.

If you have children in sports, especially night sports, the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR is just amazing. It can also double as a nice portrait lens for 1-2 person portraiture.

Then there is the Nikkor 17mm - 55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX, which is killer for group shots and interior work. You would use it a lot for "event" work.

If you are doing weddings, do you need another flash (or 2)? Those can suck up the funds pretty fast, but they also make a "big" difference when you need them.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    tambola wrote:
    I dream of having these someday:

nikon 85 f/1.4
    nikon 105 micro (w or w/o VR?)
    nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
    some big zoom???

I am a student and working for another photographer doing weddings, team portraits, etc. I am not shooting sports yet, other than my own children--who play everything it seems. I love all things photography, so I just cannot decide to "specialize" in any one area, I want to dabble in them all. So what lens will fill the missing holes in my bag? Suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tammi
    I would suggest the Nikkor 85/1.8 or 1.4. You'll find this on the long side for group portraits, but great for individual ports.

If you plan to shoot more sports, a 300mm lens, with or without a TC, would be another lens to consider.

Good luck with your decision...
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Of the lenses you mention the one I most would like to own is the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I rented it for a ski race and fell in love with that lens; its fast focusing, and super sharp. But its too expensive for me to invest in now.

However I have the much less expensive 105 macro (non-VR), and it is one of my favorite lenses. Not just for macro work...

107292173-S.jpg

but also for pics of my daughters...

123635390-S-2.jpg
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange