Options

Deep Water Soloing, Gozo - Malta

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited June 3, 2007 in Journeys
Hello again! So I have spent the last week in Gozo at a town called Xlendi. Pronounced Shlendy. I met a few great people there and got to finally do some absolutley incredible deep water soloing!! The climbing is astonishing here especially because the rock is world class, high, and strong and there is nobody else around on it. I didn't see a single climber the entire time that I didn't go with! It is awesome...awesome...great! I went back because I really liked the atmosphere and met some great people. By the way for those who don't know what deep water soloing is it is climbing the sheer cliffs with no ropes and only the water to stop your fall.

Heres some pictures.

This is a view from the place I stayed at of Xlendi. The town is really small and this is most of it.
malta16.jpg[img][/img]

Went climbing for my first time to try deep water soloing and my inexperience got me this before I even got my whole body onto the rock heh.
malta17.jpg

This is a guy I met in Xlendi (Paul) we did a bunch of climbing and when I get to Germany hopefully we are going to meet up and drive to Amsterdam!
malta18.jpg

Paul climbing a really fun route. I would imagine this section probably goes at 5.10 or 5.11 for the traverse across but it was much more enjoyable just to drop in from here.
malta19.jpg

Getting out of the water is the tricky part. The rocks at water level are super sharp as my leg will attest.
malta20.jpg

Oh and it was a really long way down...This was the highest spot we jumped from on this wall but where Paul is standing when he took this photo we jumped about 10 feet higher.
malta21.jpg

Here I am hovering above the water. Preparing for my impact
malta22.jpg

Xlendi bay climbing. There is a plethora of routes. Most unclimbed! Can you spot the climber ? (me)
malta23.jpg

How about now?
malta24.jpg

A morning lap up this 5.9 was always fun. The cave is another route and I got most of the way you can see in the photo before coming off. Much to the delight of an English lady who waited patiently with her camera.
malta25.jpg

Divers go into a world famous diving spot. Blue Hole under the Azure Window.
malta26.jpg

This is one of my most favorite climbs I have ever done. I got about 10 feet from the top of the door before I finally let go. It was an intense and incredible fall into the deep blue. In the picture is me and it was taken by Xavier of www.gozoadventures.com. Climbing the Azure Window!
malta27.jpg

A second jump. A little lower then the first but not as terrifying!
malta28.jpg

We then climbed here at a place called the Inland Sea. The tunnel goes a few hundred yards out to the ocean. We traversed the left wall into the tunnel and climbed inside for a while. If we had a boat we could have had pictures! But as it was it was just fun fun fun! :)
malta29.jpg

With Dominant churches the rocks hide in the grotto. This place is incredible! There are only about 50 routes so far in this large area which stretches behind me and beyond the picture. The rock is superb and the quality of routes are amazing. Just waiting for first ascents!
malta30.jpg

Thats it for now. I took a ton of pictures and some series which I may work on later. but for now thats it. I am sad I am leaving because with a climbing partner there are hundreds of routes to put up. There is deep water soloing everywhere on the island and a lifetime of climbs. I have a feeling I'll be back! As for now I am headed to London tonight and to Wales soon. So the next pictures will be of a different place. :)

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Deep water soloing. I'll have to add that one to my vocabulary. It originally brought images of free-diving alone to mind.

Wow, what a rush that must be... the climb and then jump. Looks like you've found one form of climbing nirvana. Great shots and story!
    Chris
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Deep water soloing. I'll have to add that one to my vocabulary. It originally brought images of free-diving alone to mind.

Wow, what a rush that must be... the climb and then jump. Looks like you've found one form of climbing nirvana. Great shots and story!

15524779-Ti.gif

Very cool shots. Fun to see this kind of stuff and daydream when I'm stuck at a desk in a cubicle -- shhhhh... don't tell my boss!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 25, 2007
    I read an article about this in climbing a while back. Cool stuff!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Love your photo's especially the view from your accomodation. After spending a month in Thailand where DWS seems to be the new craze quite a few injuries occured from people not knowing how to enter the water correctly from a descent heighteek7.gif hope you and your friends remained injury free apart from the loss of skin.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

Mushy - Ya DWS is sure taking off all over the world. It is pretty much untouched here to a lot of Malta though. Routes upon routes never even attempted. Its really insane. We took a bunch of dives from lower areas before moving up to higher ones. Tried to get our into the water technique down so that we didn't hurt ourselves. :)
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Whoa!! That's just mental. I do some indoor climbing, but anything not connected to a rope would freak me out. I can see the attraction though, but I bet the landing isn't as soft as you might think.

Lovely pics - the one of you halfway up the doorway is a stunner - would grace the front of a climbing mag I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    tobers -

Climbing without a rope was definatly somethign I had to work my way into. It took me a good while before I felt comfortable without one and even now I do many things I shouldn't ;) Its easy to get carried away and climb above your abilities so I really wouldn't recommend it! I climbed up about 80' in Alaska one time before I found I had gotten to a spot to hard for me to climb. I felt real nervous so I tried to climb down. That was also more difficult then I had expected and I instantly got afriad. I hung on for a while before I finally sucked it up and climbed up. It was one of the scarriest climbs I have done. It was at the top of my ability and a fall meant death because there was no water there. Just dirt and rock. ;)

Your right about the water though. More then once I thought I went in good just to have my body shaken when I hit. Sometimes its great, sometimes its like being tenderized. Still better then landing on the ground though!
  • Options
    DucCatDucCat Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    this whole thread is making me homesick! I lived in Terrasina for 3 years (Sicily) my grampi lives there. I have spent quite a bit of time in Malta, such a beautiful place. So, are you a free diver as well?
    Find what you love... Love what you find
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Wow, these are amazing! So...do you have any need for a novice climber with medical experiencemwink.gif

Great work and wonderful adventure!
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2007
    DucCat wrote:
    this whole thread is making me homesick! I lived in Terrasina for 3 years (Sicily) my grampi lives there. I have spent quite a bit of time in Malta, such a beautiful place. So, are you a free diver as well?

Not really so much as its just easier to jump instead of climb down.

Jeff one thing I have come to enjoy is that I'll climb with anyone who has enthusiasm. :)