Why won't it save as sRGB?

BrendaOBrendaO Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited May 27, 2007 in Finishing School
I've read through the posts and the info regarding sRGB vs RGB and thought that I made the right selections.

I have PhotoShop set to sRGB. (Edit – Color Settings – North America General Purpose 2 – Working Spaces sRGB IEC61966-2.1, CMYK U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, Gray Dot Gain 20%, Spot: Dot Gain 20%, Color Management Policies: RGB, CMYK and Gray all set on “Preserve Embedded Profiles”

I have my camera set to sRGB. I shot the pictures in RAW. In the RAW edit I selected workflow options space: sRGB IEC61966-1. But when I look at the file that was saved it switched over to RGB. What is happening?
:scratch

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Hi, We can't answer PMs, here's why:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32972
    PM wrote:
    I posted a question today but haven't received an answer yet. I was hoping to work on my photos this weekend. Can you help me? Thanks, Brenda
    www.creative-shots.com

Original post: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62241

Why won't it save as sRGB?
    I've read through the posts and the info regarding sRGB vs RGB and thought that I made the right selections.

I have PhotoShop set to sRGB. (Edit – Color Settings – North America General Purpose 2 – Working Spaces sRGB IEC61966-2.1, CMYK U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, Gray Dot Gain 20%, Spot: Dot Gain 20%, Color Management Policies: RGB, CMYK and Gray all set on “Preserve Embedded Profiles”

I have my camera set to sRGB. I shot the pictures in RAW. In the RAW edit I selected workflow options space: sRGB IEC61966-1. But when I look at the file that was saved it switched over to RGB. What is happening?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Be sure you are using "Save As" and not "Save for Web" okay? Tell us your exact steps when saving your files.
  • BrendaOBrendaO Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Be sure you are using "Save As" and not "Save for Web" okay? Tell us your exact steps when saving your files.

Thanks Andy. I promise not to PM you again. I just wanted someone to answer my thread. It had a lot of views but no answers. I really appreciate your help.

My steps:

Camera set for RAW and JPEG Fine. D80 set ColorMode IIIa (sRGB) which is for vivid color for nature or landscape shots. Ia (sRGB) is for Portraits.

PC Computer: Connect card, Start-Search-find card - copy to desktop.
    Open file on desktop with Bridge.
    Dbl click RAW thumbnail to open in RAW CS2 edit window.
    Adjust White Balance and Exposure, Shadows, Brightness, Contrast.
    Workflow Options:
    Space: sRGB IEC61966-1
    Size: 3872 by 2592 (10.0 MP)
    Depth: 8 bits/Channel
    Resolution: 240 pixels/inch (defaults)
    Save.
    Save Options:
    Select New Location.
    Format: Jpeg (saved as a TIFF file results in RGB also)
    Quality 10
    I then look at the file in Bridge. It clearly states that the new file is a photo in RGB.

Example: I'm looking at my two files of the same photo in Bridge. One says Camera Raw, 3872 x 2592 @ 240 dpi. After I went through the RAW conversion page it saved it as: JPEG file 3872 x 2592 @ 300 dpi RGB Color.

What is going wrong?
    BrendaO
    www.Creative-shots.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    BrendaO wrote:
    Thanks Andy. I promise not to PM you again. I just wanted someone to answer my thread. It had a lot of views but no answers. I really appreciate your help.

My steps:

Camera set for RAW and JPEG Fine. D80 set ColorMode IIIa (sRGB) which is for vivid color for nature or landscape shots. Ia (sRGB) is for Portraits.

PC Computer: Connect card, Start-Search-find card - copy to desktop.
    Open file on desktop with Bridge.
    Dbl click RAW thumbnail to open in RAW CS2 edit window.
    Adjust White Balance and Exposure, Shadows, Brightness, Contrast.
    Workflow Options:
    Space: sRGB IEC61966-1
    Size: 3872 by 2592 (10.0 MP)
    Depth: 8 bits/Channel
    Resolution: 240 pixels/inch (defaults)
    Save.
    Save Options:
    Select New Location.
    Format: Jpeg (saved as a TIFF file results in RGB also)
    Quality 10
    I then look at the file in Bridge. It clearly states that the new file is a photo in RGB.

Example: I'm looking at my two files of the same photo in Bridge. One says Camera Raw, 3872 x 2592 @ 240 dpi. After I went through the RAW conversion page it saved it as: JPEG file 3872 x 2592 @ 300 dpi RGB Color.

What is going wrong?
    BrendaO
    www.Creative-shots.com

What do you think is wrong?

Open the questionable file in Photoshop. Go to Edit/Convert to Profile and look at what it thinks is the current profile. When I follow your steps exactly my image is clearly sRGB. There may be some places in a UI that refer to "RGB" as a shortcut for "sRGB IEC61966-1". Where exactly are you seeing "RGB".
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    What do you think is wrong?

Open the questionable file in Photoshop. Go to Edit/Convert to Profile and look at what it thinks is the current profile. When I follow your steps exactly my image is clearly sRGB. There may be some places in a UI that refer to "RGB" as a shortcut for "sRGB IEC61966-1". Where exactly are you seeing "RGB".

When I hit Convert to Profile:
    Source Space Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    Destination Space Profile: Working CMYK - US Web Coated (SWOP)v2
    If I hit OK then I get the following:

Source Space Profile: US Web Coated (SWOP)v2
    Destination Space Profile: Working RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

That's interesting.
    You asked where I see RGB.... I see it above the photo when it is in Photoshop, i.e., Name --- 2.jpg @ 16.7% (RGB/8)
    I also see "RGB Color" in the last line of the photo in details view in Bridge.

I'm pretty new to this....is there something I should change?
    Thanks.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    BrendaO wrote:
    When I hit Convert to Profile:
    Source Space Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    Destination Space Profile: Working CMYK - US Web Coated (SWOP)v2
    If I hit OK then I get the following:

Source Space Profile: US Web Coated (SWOP)v2
    Destination Space Profile: Working RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

That's interesting.
    You asked where I see RGB.... I see it above the photo when it is in Photoshop, i.e., Name --- 2.jpg @ 16.7% (RGB/8)
    I also see "RGB Color" in the last line of the photo in details view in Bridge.

I'm pretty new to this....is there something I should change?
    Thanks.

Your image is in sRGB. Adobe is just using "RGB" as a shorthand notation for "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". You don't need to change anything.

Don't, by the way, his OK in the Convert to Profile dialog because that converted your image to CMYK which you don't want or need. I just wanted you to look there (without hitting OK) because the Source Space Profile will show you the details of what profile your image is in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Your image is in sRGB. Adobe is just using "RGB" as a shorthand notation for "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". You don't need to change anything.

Don't, by the way, his OK in the Convert to Profile dialog because that converted your image to CMYK which you don't want or need. I just wanted you to look there (without hitting OK) because the Source Space Profile will show you the details of what profile your image is in.

Thank you. I appreciate your help!
    BrendaO
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    BrendaO wrote:

headscratch.gif

If you are shooting raw, what you set (in this case sRGB) plays no role what so ever. Raw is raw.

You might also want to read this about working space options:

The Role of Working Spaces in Adobe Applications
    http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/