Metallic beetle at 3x

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited May 26, 2007 in Holy Macro
These guys are pretty boring at life size, but take the magnification up a notch or two and they don;t look too bad ;)

All Canon gear: Xti (manual mode F16, 1/200, ISO 200) + 62mm of extension tubes + 100mm macro lens + 500D diopter for about 3.1 times life size -like shooting with a bazooka! :)

MR-14EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC. Lots of dust spots to rub out, but otherwise the post processing was minimal.

156150323-L.jpg

156150701-L.jpg

156151030-L.jpg

156151197-L.jpg

All the conditions were good -the critter just moved a lot. So my success rate with this series was about 5 to 1.
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    These guys are pretty boring at life size, but take the magnification up a notch or two and they don;t look too bad ;)
    All Canon gear: Xti (manual mode F16, 1/200, ISO 200) + 62mm of extension tubes + 100mm macro lens + 500D diopter for about 3.1 times life size -like shooting with a bazooka! :)
    MR-14EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC. Lots of dust spots to rub out, but otherwise the post processing was minimal.
    All the conditions were good -the critter just moved a lot. So my success rate with this series was about 5 to 1.

They sure are colourful clap.gif we used to get Beetles called Christmas Beetles down our way when we were kids, they were similar in colour to this beetle you have shown us today.

One of the biggest problems trying to shoot Macro's besides lighting of course, is dealing with a creature that continues to move, it's amost impossible to keep it in focus as it moves.

Caught some great colour in this lot thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    They sure are colourful clap.gif we used to get Beetles called Christmas Beetles down our way when we were kids, they were similar in colour to this beetle you have shown us today.

One of the biggest problems trying to shoot Macro's besides lighting of course, is dealing with a creature that continues to move, it's amost impossible to keep it in focus as it moves.

Caught some great colour in this lot thumb.gif .... Skippy

Thanks Skippy! The head on that critter is not much more than a millimeter wide, and I only have a few millimeters of sharp focus, so the slightest movement... :cry
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Lovely series John :)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian!

I'm going after the ants again this weekend, but this time at F22. I want to see if I can get a shot where the eyes and the tongue are both in focus. Focus stacking won't work for this one, cause they really do lap up the sugar water like a kitten goes after milk and I think the movement would be a problem for Combine Z.
    My SmugMug Gallery