AMA Weekend at Infenion

CalKiddCalKidd Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited June 16, 2007 in Sports
I have noticed there are a few pics of Infenion so I thought I would post some of my pics. However, I notice mine don't seem to be as vivid as others. Is it my post processnig or my camera or really is it me?

Canon Rebel XT, Sigma 70-200 f2.8.....
1. Josh Hayes
Hayes1DG.jpg

2. Miguel Duhamel (still trying to perfect my panning)
Miguel_17dg.jpg

3. Ben Spies
Ben_SpiesDG.jpg

4. Duhamel & R. Hayden
17_95DG.jpg

Comments

• F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    CalKidd wrote:
    However, I notice mine don't seem to be as vivid as others. Is it my post processnig or my camera or really is it me?

Hi CalKidd,

Post processing is very important as is knowing how your particular camera records color. Experiment a little to find the depth of color you like best and what camera settings achieve that most consistantly.

Shooting RAW (if available on your camera) will give you the most range but admittedly will take a little extra time to process. That being said, once you're comfortable with a RAW workflow, the actual time difference is insignificant. Whether you batch process or tweak each one individually, RAW files shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds each to adjust if you capture them correctly in the camera.

Your work here is pretty good...panning shots by the way, are arguably the most difficult to produce even for experienced pros. Not every shot will come out the way you want but when they do; they're worth all the effort!

Thanks for sharing these and keep up the good work!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    CalKidd wrote:
    Miguel_17dg.jpg

Miguel_17dg2.jpg

a little PP can go a long way, especially when shooting in harsh sunlight.

messed with it in PSE 4. a little shadows/highlight adjustment. then a little saturation and sharpening. (maybe a bit too muchmwink.gif ?)

Like Chris said, "Thanks for sharing these and keep up the good work!"

Jim
  • CalKiddCalKidd Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Why do some photos I take have a milky tinge? It is almost like there is a film over the lens.
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    CalKidd wrote:
    Why do some photos I take have a milky tinge? It is almost like there is a film over the lens.
    Since you're not getting bombarded here with responses Calkidd, I'll throw in a couple of ideas...

From my side of the computer, it looks like you have two things working against you:

1) mid-day light; judging by the bikes riding over their own shadows, I'd say your sensor is screaming "bloody hell there mate, what are we doing?"
    Most riders' leathers have white (or very light colored) backs which makes reflections from directly over-head sun blow out pretty fast.

2) White balance; whether you're tweaking it in the camera or in post processing, the white balance is taking a beating trying to render the correct settings.

RAW files allow for the most room to "correct" so set them to auto white balance and adjust as necessary in the PP'ing. If you already shoot RAW, make sure your monitor is calibrated to show accurate colors and then start with the white balance before you adjust any colors or contrast.

Hope this helps a little!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 16, 2007
    Another quick way to get a bit of punch is to "pinch" the histogram. If you
    look at the first image, you will see that the histogram has a very flat area
    to the right of the first real data in the image.

Create a new adjustment layer (levels) and grab the right slider. Move this
    left until you are just at the start of the rise. Maybe a bit into it.

If you had flat space to the left, you'd do the same thing moving the slider
    to the right.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Okay, so now i have found some time to browse here's my take.

Most of the advice you have been given so far is good (relative to post processing).

But this going to sound harsh (and no one has mentioned this so far), that no matter how much screen calibration you do, or whatever time of the day you shoot at (and if you do this for a living or have any desires to do so you're going to have to work with what the planets give you lightwise) you're going to have to start off with images that are in FOCUS.

You're simply expending a lot of energy for nothing. Whatever you do you have to start off with a good image period.

Now saying that. At a track like Infineon you should be able to get *good* images with what you have gear wise with some work as you're close enough to the track to be able to do so. (In fact I gave my wife - who was assisting me at the track one of my 1D's and a 70-200 and for the first time ever using a camera she got some good sharp - contextual imagery).

So my suggestion to you would be go practice. Find a spot on the side of a freeway and practice shooting motorcyclists to get the panning down, then critique yourself harshly. Work on a style (you can even make freeway shots look arty...) and then take the knoweldge you have aquired and take it to the track or wherever. Try shooting shutter priority 1/500-800 with ISO 200. But get your standard shots down pat before trying to get pans...

Good luck!

Andrew :)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    maczippy wrote:
    Okay, so now i have found some time to browse here's my take.

Most of the advice you have been given so far is good (relative to post processing).

But this going to sound harsh (and no one has mentioned this so far), that no matter how much screen calibration you do, or whatever time of the day you shoot at (and if you do this for a living or have any desires to do so you're going to have to work with what the planets give you lightwise) you're going to have to start off with images that are in FOCUS.

You're simply expending a lot of energy for nothing. Whatever you do you have to start off with a good image period.

Now saying that. At a track like Infineon you should be able to get *good* images with what you have gear wise with some work as you're close enough to the track to be able to do so. (In fact I gave my wife - who was assisting me at the track one of my 1D's and a 70-200 and for the first time ever using a camera she got some good sharp - contextual imagery).

So my suggestion to you would be go practice. Find a spot on the side of a freeway and practice shooting motorcyclists to get the panning down, then critique yourself harshly. Work on a style (you can even make freeway shots look arty...) and then take the knoweldge you have aquired and take it to the track or wherever. Try shooting shutter priority 1/500-800 with ISO 200. But get your standard shots down pat before trying to get pans...

Good luck!

Andrew :)

He is the DADDY when it comes to shooting Motorbikes so take his advice
  • CalKiddCalKidd Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    gsgary wrote:
    He is the DADDY when it comes to shooting Motorbikes so take his advice
    Oh, I know I have seen his shots. I would love just to follow him some day at a race. Hey?! you need a gear jockey?
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    You asked -
    CalKidd wrote:
    Is it my post processnig (sic) or my camera or really is it me?
    Then you answered your own question -
    CalKidd wrote:
    still trying to perfect my panning
    The way I see it on my monitor, your images are just plain unsharp! Do you not see that? rolleyes1.gif