? RE lightroom and importing only Raw files

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited May 27, 2007 in Finishing School
i just got back from a 1 year trip and i am trying to "important" them into lightroom. all the photos are on DVD and i shot both jpeg and raw (Jpg to upload to smugmug). I copied all my photos onto my hardrive (external) and now i would like to important only the raw files into lightroom and convert them into DNG files but i cant figure out how to select only the raw files. also, i have a new laptop (1 day old) with windows vista and i cant figure out there how to select only one file type or how to sort by file type. Any suggestions???:dunno

thanks

Dave

Comments

• William M PorterWilliam M Porter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    I copied all my photos onto my hardrive (external) and now i would like to important only the raw files into lightroom and convert them into DNG files but i cant figure out how to select only the raw files. also, i have a new laptop (1 day old) with windows vista and i cant figure out there how to select only one file type or how to sort by file type. Any suggestions???

Dave,

I'm not using Vista yet myself, but I can't imagine that it's that different in this respect. IN Windows XP, I would go to the desktop, open the folder that contains the images, and sort them by "Type". This will put all the JPEGs into one big cluster of files, and all of your Raw files (which presumably have a filename extension like NEF or PEF or something) into another cluster of files. Create a subfolder, select all of the Raw files, and drag them into the subfolder. You can then import them into Lightroom.

If you like, you can move the files to the very place where you want them to stay, and then use Lightroom's option to import the images where they are currently located. I would recommend doing the conversion to DNG immediately AFTER you finish the import.

If this isn't clear, just let me know.

Will
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    It depends but it can be done
    I do not know how to do it on a Mac, but on Windows you can select the files by selecting Import then in the dialog box there is a place for file name. Place in "*.RAW" or "*.CRW" or whatever your extension is for RAW. Then hit return. The list will now only contain the RAW files.

There are other ways to do it. Such as in the Windows Import Dialog box, you can select to sort by details and extension/type and then select just the RAW.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, I can put up some screen captures.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    thanks, no screen shots necessary, that helped a lot. thanks.
    Dave (now importanting my raw files!)
    I do not know how to do it on a Mac, but on Windows you can select the files by selecting Import then in the dialog box there is a place for file name. Place in "*.RAW" or "*.CRW" or whatever your extension is for RAW. Then hit return. The list will now only contain the RAW files.

There are other ways to do it. Such as in the Windows Import Dialog box, you can select to sort by details and extension/type and then select just the RAW.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, I can put up some screen captures.