Copycat Anyone?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 30, 2007 in Technique
It's been said many times: it has all been done before.

While contemplating over possible submissions to LPS, I found myself often in the position when I really liked somebody else's current or former shot and I really would like to try to do something like this myself. Then of course I would immediately think that this would be considered a copycatting and would be frowned upon, so I never did it.

But I still want to.;-)

Then I remembered of the way the painters and other great artists of yore taught their apprentices. They make them to copy their own or somebody else's work over and over again. The reason: while it does not develop the imagination, it does improve the skills. And the skills are the flesh and bones of any artist. Yes, having the fresh idea is great, but sometimes you have the idea and stumble upon the technical difficulty of the execution.

And this is where relentless copying helps. Once you know how to paint Mona Lisa exactly the way Leonardo did, you can probably figure out on your own how to make it better. Once you take your own image of the Grand Tetons and the Snake River exactly the way Mr.Adams took it, not only you would feel better about yourself, but you'd probably learn something along the way and will be able to use this knowledge to create a better image another day.

With this in mind I'm suggesting to start a new Copy Cat Class (CCC, or C3:-). To avoid legal issues we'll choose among of our own dgrinners and will ask their blessing first. In essence, we'll pick an image we would like to mimic, invite the author, ask him or her to share the details and technicalities - and then go have a blast. As with WA, there will be no winners or places, just pure fun and learning process.

Challenge winning shots or candidates (be it LPS or prior system) could be good a way to start, but we should not limit ourselves, so if anybody knows of a good picture from an active dgrinner s/he would like to get their paws upon - please step forward:-).

Anybody wanna join yet another Dgrin class? :wink

If so - please reply with a link to the dgrin post (or smugmug gallery that can be somehow linked to a active dgrinner) containing the picture YOU would like to mimic. Once we get a few targets, I'll start asking the authors for their permissions. And once we get that - we set up a new thread, the rules, the timeline - and go have fun.

And yes, since it's a copycat class, you are more than welcome to copy other's target ideas :lol3

I start: "Twin Crowns" by Chandi. Co-Winner, Dgrin Challenge 73, "Synchronicity"
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    GREAT idea!!! It sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to improve my skills. Count me in. I love the Twin Crowns photo. Here's another suggestion:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2605319#137431390
    seastack - Stovetop Steamy - 40 (LPS1)
  • BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Nikolai, you may have missed your calling as a professor.

I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to be a part of it, or at least try to. I'm sure you've thought of this, but you'll have to be leave a good bit of latitude in the definition of "copy". After all, it's theoretically possible for anyone to recreate a painting, but photographs are unique. Besides which, some landscape photos can be tricky for those of us that live 1000 miles from an ocean or a mountain range, wildlife pictures are tough if you don't have the right fauna available, etc etc. Perhaps you should just define which aspects to copy?

As far as suggestions, Steamy is nice, but personally I like Evening Tea better.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    BeaKeR wrote:
    Nikolai, you may have missed your calling as a professor.

I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to be a part of it, or at least try to. I'm sure you've thought of this, but you'll have to be leave a good bit of latitude in the definition of "copy". After all, it's theoretically possible for anyone to recreate a painting, but photographs are unique. Besides which, some landscape photos can be tricky for those of us that live 1000 miles from an ocean or a mountain range, wildlife pictures are tough if you don't have the right fauna available, etc etc. Perhaps you should just define which aspects to copy?

As far as suggestions, Steamy is nice, but personally I like Evening Tea better.

Well, I do understand your point and yes, I did think of that. Some things are hard to reproduce without great deal of efforts. However, the steaming kettles are not, so not many other things. Yes, some of the shots are technical and they would require certain preparations. We all will have a saying in that. However, I can't always guarantee that we all can play. Some don't heave the ocean, some don't have the mountains, some don't have the river, some don't have the big city, some don't have the farm... If we try to satisfy 100% of dgrin population will get stuck shooting ourselves in the mirror. The least common denominator approach does not always work. I will do my best selecting the subjects that can be followed by a majority of those who join the play, just like I was trying to do it with WAs and so far nobody complained about an impossibility to fulfill the assignment.

At any rate, it's a valid point, it is definitely the one to consider. Yet at this moment I simply wanna see the hands mwink.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I'm down. In fact lets discuss how to copycat this first one. I'm assuming I need paint, some decent light, and shooting with a very high shutterspeed. After that I guess it's just a matter of trying to catch the drop at the right time?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited May 27, 2007
    I'm down. In fact lets discuss how to copycat this first one. I'm assuming I need paint, some decent light, and shooting with a very high shutterspeed. After that I guess it's just a matter of trying to catch the drop at the right time?

I would guess that you use relatively little natural/available light and let the flash work as a "virtual shutter". I've never tried it, but it's something Dalantech talks about a lot for things like capturing water droplets in midair and ultra-closeups of bugs. This makes your shutter speed somewhat irrelevant.
    edited May 27, 2007

Hey, where's your submission? mwink.gif
    Guys let's not discuss it here yet, OK? deal.gif
    We'll have all the time in the world once we select a goal and start working on it. :D
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I think this copycat thing is a great idea. Its funny "Twin Crowns" by Chandi was mentioned because after admiring the photo abit the first thing I thought was that would be fun to try. Definately not easy, perticularly trying to get 2 crowns at once. When Ill actually try it is yet to be seen. I would love to see others peoples results in trying to capture something similar. Copycat sounds like alot of fun, will be limited entries depending on subject matter for sure, but still alot of fun to both watch results and participate.
    Best regards,
    douglas
    edited May 28, 2007
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    I think this copycat thing is a great idea. Its funny "Twin Crowns" by Chandi was mentioned because after admiring the photo abit the first thing I thought was that would be fun to try. Definately not easy, perticularly trying to get 2 crowns at once. When Ill actually try it is yet to be seen. I would love to see others peoples results in trying to capture something similar. Copycat sounds like alot of fun, will be limited entries depending on subject matter for sure, but still alot of fun to both watch results and participate.

No reply without your "entry", be it a copy or your own!deal.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Great Idea
    Nikolai,

I love the idea and here is my suggestion, Pumpkin Patch by dkapp. I love the light and the strong colors.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/10849507-L-1.jpg
    edited May 28, 2007
    Tom,
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Nikolai,

I love the idea and here is my suggestion, Pumpkin Patch by dkapp. I love the light and the strong colors.

Noted! deal.gif
    I am only afraid we'd have to wait until the Halloween for this one lol3.gif
    edited May 28, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Noted! deal.gif
    I am only afraid we'd have to wait until the Halloween for this one lol3.gif

You call yourself a photographer?? Can't you change an apple into a pumpkin?:D
    edited May 28, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    You call yourself a photographer?? Can't you change an apple into a pumpkin?:D
    lol3.gif
    point taken mwink.gif
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Nic-

When I was a young pup of a journalist ... an old timer suggested that if I found a story I particularily liked ... to just sit down re-type the story. I thought it was odd but I tried it ... and it helped my writing ... I really understood why the author used certain words over other words, why the order of facts et cetera.

I used the same tactic with my photography, and it was helpful as well ... if you really try in your re-creation ... you'll soon be walking in the shoes of those you emulate ... then you take it one step further and go beyond the emulation and expand the envelope ... go beyond the original image ... sometimes its works and sometimes it's a dog ... but it's all about advancing and honing one's skills and experience.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited May 29, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Nikolai,

Love that suggestion, it's such a moody shot. Grad-NDF to get the sky? HDR? A nice middle exposure and nice post-processing? I look forward to finding out.

Though I doubt you could get the same feel with canteloupe or apples or whatever someone suggested. :D
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Excellent idea. My candidate is "Black Coffee" by dkoyanagi.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited May 29, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    Excellent idea. My candidate is "Black Coffee" by dkoyanagi.
    Nice one, Terrence, good to have you on board:-)
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    This is one I have been meaning to try: Painting with Light by David Perry.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the details of my submissions, I am slowly putting together a "how to" blog here.
    edited May 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    This is one I have been meaning to try: Painting with Light by David Perry.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the details of my submissions, I am slowly putting together a "how to" blog here.

Oooh, Ken, yeah, that is one of my favorites, too!
    We'll definitely try get to that one! thumb.gif
    edited May 30, 2007
    Just a thought on the whole process. As someone pointed out on 'Pumpkin Patch' there may be a lot of different ways to do the same picture. Maybe one of the things to do is investigate alternate techniques to copy the same picture so people with a lot less experience (namely me...) can learn different photographic techniques and get whithering feedback on the results. I think that might add to the whole learning experience.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I think this whole idea sounds pretty cool. There are so many times when I see an idea in a competition that someone else had, and I think o myself, "why couldn't I have thought of that!" Well, now I don't have to. Now I can copy!! :D
    edited May 30, 2007
    Rhuarc,
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I think this whole idea sounds pretty cool. There are so many times when I see an idea in a competition that someone else had, and I think o myself, "why couldn't I have thought of that!" Well, now I don't have to. Now I can copy!! :D

You have forgotten to specify your target, my friend! deal.gif
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Nikolai, here is a photo that has a style I'd like to know how to create.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=558525&postcount=15
    (from SF#1, "Candid Glimpse" by pyroPrints) Hey, that rhymes! :D
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
    edited May 30, 2007
    Green,
    Nikolai, here is a photo that has a style I'd like to know how to create.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=558525&postcount=15
    (from SF#1, "Candid Glimpse" by pyroPrints) Hey, that rhymes! :D
    Thanks! Welcome to the Club! thumb.gif