edited May 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Homeless, Seattle
156447441-L.jpg

Happiness is...teensy flowers, up close
156444181-L.jpg

Comments

• JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    I've never seen flowers like these, and although they are very pretty, I think Homeless, Seattle is a much stronger photo. It's a very different take on this subject. Your photoshop work makes it look ethereal. I would not have thought her homeless without your title. I would think she was just dreaming.

Don't know if this helps at all.

Jill
    Jill
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    My two offerings - which do you prefer?
    I like both of them - for different reasons.

I rented a 60mm macro lens from Glazer's in Seattle last week after discovering that the auto focus on my one and only lens (18-200mm Nikkor) was no longer working reliably. So, #2 is a macro of a tiny flower from my yard. It just makes me happy to look at.

After returning the lens on friday, I took a stroll through a nearby park where several folks sleeping on benches were doing their best to ignore the noise of the city crews while they mowed and used their blowers. #1 I snapped on my way back to the car (for some reason the auto focus worked for this one photo). I havn't done much candid street photography but I really like this image.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    #2 makes me feel happy too, but #1 for the challenge. The green on the head scarf makes it.

Virginia

Email
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Paul...
    I'm leaning for #1 on the challenge....I love the macro..nice job. That said...I think the treatment on #1 is a bit much..especially the background bush. Realizing that it's to be a painterly feel..which is ok....I think lessening it a tad may be more powerful. You want this individual real...as in powerful..realistic....making the viewer feel something. Hope this makes sense.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    I'm torn between the two...The sharpness factor in the macro is very nice...unusual little flower and it's bright and perky! Technically not as good, but perhaps more interesting, #1 is probably what I would lean towards. Not much help, am I? I like them both....go with your gut feeling and good luck in the challenge.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Paul,
    If nothing else, I usually hate flower shots, so I can honestly say: #1.deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    It has the story (who's she, why's she wearing this), it has great DOF (three layers - awesome!), nice light - pretty much all man can want. thumb.gif

Flower: meh ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    I really like #1, however, to be honest, I think it will go farther if don't have the photoshop effect. Excellent capture!

#2 is some really neat flowers, but don't think it's as strong of an image as #1.

Wish you the best,

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Thanks for all your help
    I really appreciate it! Pretty much of confirmed my own feelings about the two pictures.

I'm going to go with #1... It's the one I like better too. I wasn't sure how the PS effect would be received in a "photo" contest, although there are other entries with heavy post processing. I will probably eliminate or at least tone it down in my final entry version.

Thanks again and best wishes to all.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    I love #1 for the competition but agree that you could tone down the effects. It's a great photo and doesn't need it.

By the way, what kind of flowers are those anyway?