exif not being saved in ps?-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited May 27, 2007 in Finishing School
trying to get my exif to show on my smugmug gallery photos-

some of the older photos the exif shows, but newer pics do not have any detail (this is not one gallery showing exif and another gallery not showing it; this is all in one gallery)-

so I don't believe this is a problem within the smugmug gallery-

I wonder if I've done something different in my ps workflow where the exif is not being saved in photoshop-

thanks

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    I wonder if I've done something different in my ps workflow where the exif is not being saved in photoshop-

thanks
    If you are using "Save For Web" you'll lose the exif. Is that it?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    If you are using "Save For Web" you'll lose the exif. Is that it?

hah!-

yes!-

just tried to save w/o save for web and got the exif to show up-

been on this for three hours-

shoulda asked to begin with-

thanks much!-
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    hah!-

yes!-

just tried to save w/o save for web and got the exif to show up-

been on this for three hours-

shoulda asked to begin with-

thanks much!-
    This is a feature of SFW, as metadata adds to file size, even if it is only small, the idea of optimizing the image is to make it as small as possible. I may (incorrectly) recall that ImageReady had an option to save metadata, but Photoshop did not? Something else that is also lost is the print size/resolution header information, so file/save as JPG will keep the nominal resolution and physical size of the image when placed into say Adobe Illustrator or QuarkXpress - but a SFW JPG will import at a lower resolution and larger physical size, even though both contain the same amount of total pixels. Of course, a web browser will display both at the same size, as only pixel dimensions count and the resolution and print size are ignored.

If you wish to pass on high resolution images or saved in say TIFF or PSD format, but do not wish to include the EXIF data, then you are out of luck with a fast built in solution, the powers that be have decided that having metadata is more critical than not, so users have had to make a script to do this if they do not wish downstream users to have this information (as is their right as the image originator).

A link to the Strip EXIF script for Photoshop at the Adobe Exchange website, that recreates the existing file as a new document with the same file name and no EXIF metadata, alpha channels, guides or other metadata:
    http://tinyurl.com/29dhyo

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/