Newbie Question - How to tell if a Camera does Uncompressed Format

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited May 27, 2007 in Cameras
Howdy All-

Well I am looking and researching and looking and drooling and :scratch and :deal and well I have figured it is time to ask for help.

I am looking to update my Canon PowerShot S50 mainly cause it is starting to show is age physically. The lens cover is starting to fall off the track and grind against the gears. It has about 9,000 photos taken on it so far.

So I have looked at a few of the Canons cause I am pretty happy with the PowerShot S50. I saw that the G7 does not do RAW from reading the forums. (Yup, I waded through the 2,000+ questions in this forum before posting) I went to the DPReview and used the comparison tool and it lets me decide what my prefered format is, but it does not let me simply select that I need to have an uncompressed format.

I am shooting RAW and am liking it quite a bit and do not want to lose its feature. It is just hard to tell from reading.

I also want a fast camera, low shutter lag and boot up, plus auto focus is a plus. I can keep going with the wish list but figure that is beyond the question :D
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 27, 2007
    Howdy All-

Well I am looking and researching and looking and drooling and headscratch.gif and deal.gif and well I have figured it is time to ask for help.

I am looking to update my Canon PowerShot S50 mainly cause it is starting to show is age physically. The lens cover is starting to fall off the track and grind against the gears. It has about 9,000 photos taken on it so far.

So I have looked at a few of the Canons cause I am pretty happy with the PowerShot S50. I saw that the G7 does not do RAW from reading the forums. (Yup, I waded through the 2,000+ questions in this forum before posting) I went to the DPReview and used the comparison tool and it lets me decide what my prefered format is, but it does not let me simply select that I need to have an uncompressed format.

I am shooting RAW and am liking it quite a bit and do not want to lose its feature. It is just hard to tell from reading.

I also want a fast camera, low shutter lag and boot up, plus auto focus is a plus. I can keep going with the wish list but figure that is beyond the question :D

Hi Brad,

I believe the Canon G6 was the last in that series to have RAW capability. If you can find one, even a used one might be worth it, it's still a pretty viable camera.

If you just want really nice JPGs in a digicam, I am very impressed by the Fuji F30 and F31fd cameras.

Other than that, one of the entry level dSLRs will give you some considerable advantages over most digicams, like:

High ISO with much less noise than most digicams
    Much faster responsiveness overall
    Interchangeable lenses
    External flash capabilities
    RAW for sure
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums