New and Need Help with resizing

CatCatCatCat Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi, My name is Lynn Hermosa, I just signed up on Smug Mug. I need some help in learning how to size my photos for uploading to the site. I use a Canon Digital Rebel 300 and according to Photoshop 6, the size of the image out of the camera is 42.667 inches x 28.444 inches at 72 dpi and the top part in Photoshop reads 3072 pixels and 2048 pixels. I read your article that states that the largest side should be 1500 pixels. Where do I enter this number of 1500 pixels? Also do I need to change the 72 dpi to a higher number? If I decide a photo needs to be cropped before I upload it to the SmugMug site, then at what point do I change the number to 1500 pixels. Also, is there a way I can change all the photos to the right size (batch processing)? If I do the batch processing, will it ruin my original images or will it duplicate them. I know these are a lot of questions, but I am really in dire need of your help. Thanks for your reply. Lynn Hermosa

Comments

• scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I would recommend you do not change anything. For viewing on screen, dpi is irrelevant, only pixels matter. DPI and PPI (pixels per inch) really only come into play when it comes time to print, and the generally speaking, the more pixels the better.

Smugmug will keep your original files and make smaller versions appropriate for the different viewing styles. So don't resize or do anything else, just upload and enjoy your pictures. The added side effect of this is that you have an off-site backup of your pictures in case somethign happens to your hard drive on your home PC.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif

Don't change anything. You may want 1500 pixels at a minimum, but in general you'll want to have as many pixels as you can. Also pretend that the dpi setting doesn't exist.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/