White Balance - Lightroom?

cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited May 27, 2007 in Finishing School
I have about 200ish photos that came out with too much red. I don't want to edit them individually in photoshop, and was wondering if there's a way to adjust for the Brides dress, which has a peach cast to it - it should be pearl white. There was just too much red in the chapel and the Tungsten WB skewed everything in that direction i think. Here's an example:

156625441-L.jpg
SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Did you shoot in RAW?
  • cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Yes I did. RAW, Tungston WB.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    cdhames wrote:
    I have about 200ish photos that came out with too much red. I don't want to edit them individually in photoshop, and was wondering if there's a way to adjust for the Brides dress, which has a peach cast to it - it should be pearl white. There was just too much red in the chapel and the Tungsten WB skewed everything in that direction i think. Here's an example:

156625441-L.jpg

Did you shoot raw? If so, it will be a snap in Lightroom. Fix one, copy WB settings and paste onto the other 199, done.

It will work in JPEG/TIFF too but realize that you've got a file who's color issues are baked into the pixels. The WB correction is severely limited in comparison to starting with a raw (which itself is essentially a Grayscale file, you build the color).

But if the question is about production, you're better off in Lightroom. You're also not altering the pixels until ask LR to render a new file. You're just making a set of metadata instructions in LR about HOW you want that image to appear when it bakes the corrections into a file you'd export.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited May 27, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    Did you shoot raw? If so, it will be a snap in Lightroom. Fix one, copy WB settings and paste onto the other 199, done.

It will work in JPEG/TIFF too but realize that you've got a file who's color issues are baked into the pixels. The WB correction is severely limited in comparison to starting with a raw (which itself is essentially a Grayscale file, you build the color).

But if the question is about production, you're better off in Lightroom. You're also not altering the pixels until ask LR to render a new file. You're just making a set of metadata instructions in LR about HOW you want that image to appear when it bakes the corrections into a file you'd export.

How would I adjust this image in Lightroom? I've been playing with the adjustments, but haven't found a good balance yet. The brides dress is either too orange/red while the rest of the image is normal, or vise versa, the brides dress is normal, and the rest of the image is out of whack. Have any suggestions?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    cdhames wrote:
    How would I adjust this image in Lightroom? I've been playing with the adjustments, but haven't found a good balance yet. The brides dress is either too orange/red while the rest of the image is normal, or vise versa, the brides dress is normal, and the rest of the image is out of whack. Have any suggestions?

Click the W key. Use the eyedropper on a white (not specular). If you don't like the color, click W again. When you get the WB you like, you can copy just that edit and paste unto the others (Photo->Deveope Settings->Copy).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited May 27, 2007
    --
    edited May 27, 2007
    Andy, arodney, thanks. That custom eyedropper for WB really simplifies everything. Didn't know you could do it like that, but now I know!