My first attempt

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited May 31, 2007 in Sports
Of course i'm not happy :rolleyes

I decided to drag my 18-200 to the games, what was i thinking?? :dunno

I should have just watched the game instead. :rofl

All hell broke loose as I entered that stadium.

"I need MORE LIGHT" I screamed, as i ran around the field. Of course, i didn't even try to get on a sideline, who would let me? Well, maybe if i asked nicely.....
So, with low light, lens NOT made for sports, being far away from the actions.... you got the idea.....
I tried my hardest ( i swear), it's all in good fun after all. I even didn't notice my son playing, i'm such a bad mom :deal

You can laugh along with me, no prob! :barb

Spring football HS game.

156629087-M.jpg

156628971-M.jpg

156628815-M.jpg

156628732-M.jpg

156631631-M.jpg

156631865-M.jpg

156628760-M.jpg

156631809-M.jpg

156642795-M.jpg

156639226-M.jpg

Thanks for looking! :lynnma
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    You did very well Marina. Thats tought light to do deal with.
  • BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I think you did alright. You had tons more light than I'm used to having at the football games I shoot. Football is probably the second toughest sport to shoot. Volleyball is the first.

I use a Nikon 80-200 2.8 which works well on a Nikon DSLR with the 50% extra magnification. With football it's pretty much all about luck. You have to hope that a play comes your way and whatever position you get into only allows for specific shots. Then each time something doesn't work out you wonder if you should change positions. Even the teams switching directions at the end of a quarter changes what where you need to be.

If the players are into it you can get good sideline stuff. I like your triple cheerleader shot too. The cheerleaders at the games I go too don't seem to do that stuff too much.

Also, when it comes to HS football, when you walk in with a nice camera and especially a big lens, that gets you farther than a press pass ever will. And most of the time if you stay out of the chain gang and ball boys' way you can shoot from the 20 yard line to the goal since teams and coaches can be down on that part of the sideline. Most of the time the coaches are the only ones you have to worry about. You are on their sidelines for the most part. So get in good with your son's coach and/or athletic director. Those are the ones that will cause a problem, but most don't.
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    good job..

try to go about 10 yards down field from the spot of the ball. That is where they are going & you'll get faces coming at you.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Thank you everyone for nice replies and encouragement. I found football to be tough and mostly boring to photograph. You're waiting for them to huddle and then waiting for them to decide on the play, then you're waiting for them to get set, hike and then..... i'm having trouble keeping up with the ball while looking through camera. You pretty much have split seconds to get what you want to get and that it's over. ne_nau.gif

Most of the shots i posted were taken while there was some daylight. I wouldn't dare post any shots taken under big lights Laughing.gif

Now i'll have to wait till August for the HS season to start. May be by then i'll get longer lens and most likely talk to his coach.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Well done, Marina. I can't wait for the little kids flag football to start. it's fun to watch and shoot.
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Very good job your first time out , Dang , I miss those days !!!!!!:D
    What number is your son BTW ???
    Question though . Is'nt it a little early for football ?? Our high-school des'nt even start there doubles until July I believe .
  • caerocaero Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2007
    Hi,

Just popping in to comment on one of your shots. I really really like the last shot of the 3 cheerleaders being hauled up in the air. The diagonal lines you can draw from left shoe to left shoe from each cheerleader to the other and from the right shoe to right shoe from each of them makes it really empowered. Furthermore each of the 3 girls are alsmost smack in the middle of each vertical thirds line which makes the composition very strong.

My only advise to have composed the shot better would have been to zoom out just a tad to get the foremost girl's foot into the shot and then cropped away some of the heads of the cheerleaders holding them up.

Apart from that really good shot.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Of course i'm not happy rolleyes1.gif

I decided to drag my 18-200 to the games, what was i thinking?? ne_nau.gif

So, with low light, lens NOT made for sports, being far away from the actions.... you got the idea.....
    Um... you have a good $800 dollar lens, thats better than 90% of the sub $700 lenses, so please, stop complaining, you could have always read any of the other sports topics, or googled sports photography, and figured out that you need a lens with a very large aperture for sports photos, especially at dusk, you could have always ordered a 50 f/1.8 for who knows how much, and the 18-200 is a shitload of a lot better than say... an 18-55 for sports photos, so please, enjoy what you have, and dont complain about your equipment, when it is you who should have prepared better.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited May 31, 2007
    WildWally wrote:
    Very good job your first time out , Dang , I miss those days !!!!!!:D
    What number is your son BTW ???
    Question though . Is'nt it a little early for football ?? Our high-school des'nt even start there doubles until July I believe .

Hi there and thanks for the comments! My son is #24, but he's not anywhere in the pics. ne_nau.gif It is not a football season, it is a spring training, which is over now. Season doesn't start here till August :D I can't wait!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited May 31, 2007
    caero wrote:
    Hi,

Just popping in to comment on one of your shots. I really really like the last shot of the 3 cheerleaders being hauled up in the air. The diagonal lines you can draw from left shoe to left shoe from each cheerleader to the other and from the right shoe to right shoe from each of them makes it really empowered. Furthermore each of the 3 girls are alsmost smack in the middle of each vertical thirds line which makes the composition very strong.

My only advise to have composed the shot better would have been to zoom out just a tad to get the foremost girl's foot into the shot and then cropped away some of the heads of the cheerleaders holding them up.

Apart from that really good shot.

Thank you for taking a pick! I read carefully all you had to say, and i agree, i noticed missing foot too late Laughing.gif. You should've seen me bending over to get these shot, i was shooting over people's heads and shoulders. Oh well, my first try, i'm sure i'll be more careful and keep practising! Thanks again! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited May 31, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Um... you have a good $800 dollar lens, thats better than 90% of the sub $700 lenses, so please, stop complaining, you could have always read any of the other sports topics, or googled sports photography, and figured out that you need a lens with a very large aperture for sports photos, especially at dusk, you could have always ordered a 50 f/1.8 for who knows how much, and the 18-200 is a shitload of a lot better than say... an 18-55 for sports photos, so please, enjoy what you have, and dont complain about your equipment, when it is you who should have prepared better.

I didn't say nothing bad about my lens. I spent more then $800 on it, being stupid that is. My only concern was that my lens might not be long enough to get closer shots. And i don't think this lens preforms as good in low light as i would like. I have never tried shooting sports, it's not like i'm trying to become a pro at it. No need to get all stressed over what i said or did, or didn't.
    Cheers! beer.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    so please, enjoy what you have, and dont complain about your equipment, when it is you who should have prepared better.

did you miss this part?

"You can laugh along with me, no prob! wings.gif"

Lighten up, Francis. this isn't 'sportsshooters.com'

mwink.gif

:D:D