Need Help Please

di-quesodi-queso Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited June 5, 2007 in Cameras
I was shooting some macro's with My d70s when all of a sudden the camera seemes to lock up, The function screen showed all was well, but when I tried to release the shutter, NADA....
So I took the battery out and put a fresh one in and now I can not even get it to power up?

Has anyone experienced this? If so please help me to figure it out.
Not having my camera is like loosing a kid or something
New toys: Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with 80mm,55mm,150mm,120,220,and Polaroid backs:wink
Nikon D100 with MB-D100,Nikon D70S,Nikon N90S with grip,Sigma 18-200 DC, Sigma 20mm,Nikon AF 70-300,Nikon 17-55 AF-S, Nikon, 500mm Reflex, and about 15 other old school Nikon lenses inherited from my dad...

Comments

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Never had D70s - but there is some universal procedure:
    - remove main battery
    - remove so called "clock batteries"
    - wait for about 10 minutes
    - load them back and try again

P.S. one extra thing those CR2 batteries may not keep charge anylonger,
    replace them with new ones.

It may help rolleyes1.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... No clock battery that I'm aware of Z28. Also the D70/D70s uses a Sony type Li-ion battery.

di-queso... Make sure the batter is fully charged? Remove from the cam for a few mins. Then, once/if you get it back up, can you gain access to the menu?

I guess the next thing to do is contact Nikon and run thru their diags over the phone. Someone else may also have some more thoughts for you, so hang on.
  • di-quesodi-queso Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Appreciate the info But still down
    Seymore wrote:
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... No clock battery that I'm aware of Z28. Also the D70/D70s uses a Sony type Li-ion battery.

di-queso... Make sure the batter is fully charged? Remove from the cam for a few mins. Then, once/if you get it back up, can you gain access to the menu?

I must have shot 150+ frames using the IR remote everything was cool. Using in manual mode set at 250 with flash on. then bang..Nothing
    Have fully charged both batteries and still no go. There must be someone out there that this has happened to.
    New toys: Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with 80mm,55mm,150mm,120,220,and Polaroid backs:wink
    Nikon D100 with MB-D100,Nikon D70S,Nikon N90S with grip,Sigma 18-200 DC, Sigma 20mm,Nikon AF 70-300,Nikon 17-55 AF-S, Nikon, 500mm Reflex, and about 15 other old school Nikon lenses inherited from my dad...
    edited May 29, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

I guess the next thing to do is contact Nikon and run thru their diags over the phone. Someone else may also have some more thoughts for you, so hang on.

Ugh Ummm...

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D70S_en.pdf
    Page 17
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    edited May 29, 2007
    di-queso... contact Nikon and let us know what is discovered. thumb.gif

z_28 wrote:
    ??? headscratch.gif ??? What's on page 17 that applies here? ne_nau.gif

Just that I don't understand, please explain...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 29, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

Page 17 does describe a "Clock Battery" that is internal and not user replaceable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 29, 2007
    Possible solution found $285.00
    Seymore wrote:

I checked a repair shop that Art Scott had mentioned as being the place to go in a totally different forum. I explained to the tech what had happened and he said I most likely blew a fuze on the main board. Approx. 285.00 to fix. So I already planned on sending it in to him to fix the flash and clean the sensor and tune it up for 195.00 so now I am looking at 480.00 plus shipping to fix it or just find another used one for about the same price/
    I think I might just have them do the once over and if its more than the 480.00 then I will just throw it in the lake and go buy another.thumb.gif
    edited May 29, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

Just bad things, nothing more.
    Canon for example got lithium clock battery.
    Removing it and main battery allow owner to rebooting entire body electronics.
    D70s have some internal condenser which is not designed to be removed and require 3 days to take full charge headscratch.gif

Very sorry, but looks as they will charge you more for repair than used D70s is actually worth ne_nau.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    di-queso wrote:
    I checked a repair shop that Art Scott had mentioned as being the place to go in a totally different forum. I explained to the tech what had happened and he said I most likely blew a fuze on the main board. Approx. 285.00 to fix. So I already planned on sending it in to him to fix the flash and clean the sensor and tune it up for 195.00 so now I am looking at 480.00 plus shipping to fix it or just find another used one for about the same price/
    I think I might just have them do the once over and if its more than the 480.00 then I will just throw it in the lake and go buy another.thumb.gif

Why pay anything?headscratch.gif I'm assuming its still under warranty. Just contact Nikonusa. They will e-mail you a shipping label and they will also pay the shipping cost. Ship it to them and in 7-10 days you get the repaired camera back. They will also clean the camera and the sensor & install any available firmware updates
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited May 30, 2007
    Wish it was
    Harryb wrote:
    Why pay anything?headscratch.gif I'm assuming its still under warranty. Just contact Nikonusa. They will e-mail you a shipping label and they will also pay the shipping cost. Ship it to them and in 7-10 days you get the repaired camera back. They will also clean the camera and the sensor & install any available firmware updates

This is the same one that I purchase in Nikon land a week or so ago. And do not know if it is covered. headscratch.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    di-queso wrote:
    This is the same one that I purchase in Nikon land a week or so ago. And do not know if it is covered. headscratch.gif

did you register the camera when recieved it? Where exactly did you purchase your camera?

Mr. Barge (owner of PHO-TECH in Hesston Ks) should be able to do it as warranty since he is an authorised repair center.....however as HARRY stated if it goes into Nikon they will and can do a lot more for you.

Probably if you tell him that it is undr warranty he would have suggested you send it to Nikon be cause they can do more than they will allow him to do on a warranty repair...as Harry stated..........

Good luck and pleae let us know the outcome.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 30, 2007
    Been in contact
    Art Scott wrote:
    did you register the camera when recieved it? Where exactly did you purchase your camera?

Mr. Barge (owner of PHO-TECH in Hesston Ks) should be able to do it as warranty since he is an authorised repair center.....however as HARRY stated if it goes into Nikon they will and can do a lot more for you.

Probably if you tell him that it is undr warranty he would have suggested you send it to Nikon be cause they can do more than they will allow him to do on a warranty repair...as Harry stated..........

Good luck and pleae let us know the outcome.

I have emailed Mr. Barge several times in regards not only to the flash issue that was broken when recieved from seller, but also the sudden loss of all power in unit. He is the one that quoted me the 195.00 for the flash and 285 for repairing the board. I did not think of checking to see if it was under warranty. But I am sure due to the impact that is evident in the flash assembly, it would most likely be void, (do you think?)

I purchased the camera from Nathan Hua on the Nikon land forum less than a week ago and no warranty was implied or stated.

Now come too find out that if UPS picks up the package for inspection due to damage sustained in shipping, he is the benifiting party in all claims. So now I am up in arms, do I send the camera back through ups, do I demand some form of reimbursment from Nathan prior to sending in for claim, or do I just suck it up and send it in for repair and count my losses. Then there is the all mighty question of is it worth 480.00 to repair the unit or spend a bit more for a unit used from a vendor like Adorama or even the notorius Ebay.
    I wish there was an easy solution to this ever perplexing situation I have found myself in.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I don't know how you paid for it...but this is one reason I always use PayPal..even if I have to add a small percentage more....If the sellar is hon=nest then he will refund your money if UPS finds they are at fault.....but then again I have only had a couple of bad experiences on ebay and with the help of ebay and paypal it was all taken care of.

Of course y9u could always purcahse another and sell this one for parts to reclaim a little of the loss...and I do mean little.

Good Luck to you.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 4, 2007
    5.00 right here.... Do I here 6.00 right here gimmee
    Art Scott wrote:
    I don't know how you paid for it...but this is one reason I always use PayPal..even if I have to add a small percentage more....If the sellar is hon=nest then he will refund your money if UPS finds they are at fault.....but then again I have only had a couple of bad experiences on ebay and with the help of ebay and paypal it was all taken care of.

Of course y9u could always purcahse another and sell this one for parts to reclaim a little of the loss...and I do mean little.

Good Luck to you.
    11doh.gif Off to ebay it went, I also sold my 17-55 ed dx, 55-200 af-s ed-dx, 50mm af-d and 19-35 af so that I could buy a new body. Sacrifices must be made in the name of Photography (right)
    edited June 5, 2007
    Just courious... what did you get for the dead body?