So its about that time again

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited May 29, 2007 in Cameras
i've been kinda out of touch with the whole Camera news scene so i need you more informed buyers to give me help! its been awhile since i've been real active here on dgrin but i'm hoping to change that starting now.:D

so. my 10D just isn't cutting it anymore. i want low light capablity and amazing color rendition. i want more megapixels than my current 6, and i want one that i can take everywhere with me. it doesn't need to be light cause i'm a big fella and i can carry stuff around. it needs to be reasonably priced but i'm willing to give a little. when i upgrade i'm gonna be selling my 10D and grip so i need help figuring out how much i'll probably be able to get for it. i have about 700 dollars saved up at the moment not including what i could get for my 10D. so let the suggestions flow! oh. and i want a camera that will take full advantage of my L lenses' capabilities.:deal

thanks all,
DanB
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Dan,
    Used 30Ds are frequent trade items on FMs (I mean both Fred Miranda and the local Flea Market :-). If you sell your 10D first you'll be able to get nice copy of 30D, and maybe some extra stuff like a grip, an L-bracket (well, you'd need a tripod and a head for this, too), or an Optech strap (all highly recommended).
    That is unless you are ready to enter the 1Dx series world, but that's the land where you'd need more like $7,000 to get really comfortable.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Used 30Ds are frequent trade items on FMs (I mean both Fred Miranda and the local Flea Market :-). If you sell your 10D first you'll be able to get nice copy of 30D, and maybe some extra stuff like a grip, an L-bracket (well, you'd need a tripod and a head for this, too), or an Optech strap (all highly recommended).
    That is unless you are ready to enter the 1Dx series world, but that's the land where you'd need more like $7,000 to get really comfortable.
    HTH

Nikolai how would a 1d MkII compare to a 30D in preformance? obviously the FPS would be a step up and such but how are the censors different and all those juicy details :) cause if they're relatively the same then i think i'd probably go for the more durable 1D mkII because of how much i camp
    Daniel Bauer

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Dan,
    DanielB wrote:
    Nikolai how would a 1d MkII compare to a 30D in preformance? obviously the FPS would be a step up and such but how are the censors different and all those juicy details :) cause if they're relatively the same then i think i'd probably go for the more durable 1D mkII because of how much i camp
    You've specified your budget being about $700. I haven't seen 1DMkII in this price range yet. It's still more like $2,100 (used). Rutt sold his for $1,800, IIRC, and that was a total steal.
    More money - more options. You can't require the feature set of the high end camera for the entry level price. I mean, you can try, but you probaly wouldn't get any takersne_nau.gif
    Sorry, man, it's an expensive hobby you get yourself mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    DanielB wrote:
    i've been kinda out of touch with the whole Camera news scene so i need you more informed buyers to give me help! its been awhile since i've been real active here on dgrin but i'm hoping to change that starting now.:D

so. my 10D just isn't cutting it anymore. i want low light capablity and amazing color rendition. i want more megapixels than my current 6, and i want one that i can take everywhere with me. it doesn't need to be light cause i'm a big fella and i can carry stuff around. it needs to be reasonably priced but i'm willing to give a little. when i upgrade i'm gonna be selling my 10D and grip so i need help figuring out how much i'll probably be able to get for it. i have about 700 dollars saved up at the moment not including what i could get for my 10D. so let the suggestions flow! oh. and i want a camera that will take full advantage of my L lenses' capabilities.deal.gif

thanks all,
    DanB
    I think color retention and low light capability are already present in the
    10D. I've taken (technicaly) good pictures at ISO 3200. If these two features
    are your only gripes, you would probably be better off (and cheaper) by
    investing in a colorimeter and by using a noise reduction software like the
    free NoiseWare (Community Edition) or NoiseNinja. Both are available as PS
    Plugins too.

But if you want more megapixel (and a faster camera) you can't go wrong
    with a 20D or 30D. The 30D has only a small edge over the 20D with its larger
    LCD and its spotmeter. Beware though that neither of these cameras
    will feel as solid as the 10D and that if you intend to double the maximum
    print size of the photos of your 6MP camera (say from A3 to A2) you'll also
    need to double the megapixel. That would be 12MP ... Canon 5D (tough
    build like the 10D) but it's almost triple the price of a used 20D. In euope
    the 10D+BG sells for 400~450 eur btw. Another option is the Canon 400D,
    it feels more cheap but has 10MP. And sells new for the price of a used 20D/30D.

Good luck decideing.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited May 28, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You've specified your budget being about $700. I haven't seen 1DMkII in this price range yet. It's still more like $2,100 (used). Rutt sold his for $1,800, IIRC, and that was a total steal.
    More money - more options. You can't require the feature set of the high end camera for the entry level price. I mean, you can try, but you probaly wouldn't get any takersne_nau.gif
    Sorry, man, it's an expensive hobby you get yourself mwink.gif

:nah not only a 700 dollar budget i figure once i get rid of my current camera i might abve around 1k-1,100 dollars plus whatever i can raise over the summer to help me out. this isn't a do or die, need it right now, decision. just something to look forward to for the near future. oh, and i turn 16 in September so i might be able to sweet talk the parentsdeal.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    So with that budget, it definitely looksl ike a 20D/30D. 20D will give you some change, 30D will require a bit more. Either one is much closer than any 1D.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 28, 2007
    There's a difference between the 5/10/20/30d and it's 1d cousin(s). Whether
    you really need that or not depends. Of course, frame rate, a better sensor
    weight and water resistant nature of the body are things to consider.

If you don't shoot in the rain/moisture or need a super fast frame rate, then
    the 20/30d would be a great camera for you. As far as buying used, you can
    definitely save some money.

As far as which you should buy, that depends but the choices you have are
    pretty awesome. Especially in the 5/20/30d lineup.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 29, 2007
    yeah, another thing i was kinda wanting to get out of was the whole 1.6X crop range. i realize 1.3x isn't that big of a difference up front but from talking to people that have made the switch it sounds worth it. especially since the majority of the stuff i do is landscapes/Macro.
    Daniel Bauer

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 29, 2007
    DanielB wrote:
    yeah, another thing i was kinda wanting to get out of was the whole 1.6X crop range. i realize 1.3x isn't that big of a difference up front but from talking to people that have made the switch it sounds worth it. especially since the majority of the stuff i do is landscapes/Macro.

Daniel,

Now that there are competent crop 1.6x lenses (EF-S and the like) in the 10-20mm-ish range, there is not so much need to go full-frame to do ultra wide vista landscapes. Digital image stitchery is also a very viable and valuable tool.

Most folks like the crop 1.6x/1.5x cameras for macro work because the magnification is increased, as well as DOF, versus crop 1.3x and FF cameras at similar focal lengths and settings.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums