Header not showing for galleries that are part of communities

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have a customized site (eoren1.smugmug.com) with a header that I hope to remain constant throughout. However, for those galleries that I have chosen to associate with communities (such as: http://eoren1.smugmug.com/gallery/1162017), My header does not show and instead I see the smugmug header. This serves to isolate this gallery and remove all navigation possibilities except the browser's back button.
I found that if I select custom under Look and Feel, this only works if I set Community appearance to 'community'. However, then the rest of the theme is broken. If I select Smugmug under Community appearance, I am unable to set custom for Look and Feel - it always reverts back to smugmug and the default smugmug header.
Anyone know how to fix this? I have left a number of communities because of this glitch but left one or two intact. I would favor maintaining a constant look to my site over being part of these communities but hope that the two would not be mutually exclusive.
Thanks,
E

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Hi Eoren,

Galleries associated with communities can show either the default SmugMug look, or the community customization. It is not possible at this time to have a gallery associated with a community and still have your custom look and feel, I'm sorry.

See also http://www.smugmug.com/help/communities

I wish I had a different answer for you. Let us know if you have any questions.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Galleries associated with communities can show either the default SmugMug look, or the community customization. It is not possible at this time to have a gallery associated with a community and still have your custom look and feel, I'm sorry.
    I don't thing that this is it, because his gallery doesn't show the community theme (the community doesn't seem to use any and all the other galleries assigned to the community have their own customizations) - his gallery uses a different theme so I think it may be something in his gallery customizations or maybe some CSS issues.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    edited May 28, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    This gallery seems to have been able to bridge the two:
    http://mangelophotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2841070#96509388

E
    Yeah, as I said to ivar - it's probably one of your settings. Did you maybe accidently activate a theme in the gallery settings? Also check that you've got your look & feel has the custom and not the smugmug setting as well as the community setting should be set to custom in the gallery settings.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 28, 2007
    Yeah, as I said to ivar - it's probably one of your settings. Did you maybe accidently activate a theme in the gallery settings? Also check that you've got your look & feel has the custom and not the smugmug setting as well as the community setting should be set to custom in the gallery settings.

Sebastian

The theme is set to 'default' (which is carbonite I think).
    Look and Feel and Community now appear to be linked. Clicking on Smugmug in Look and Feel automatically sets Community to smugmug. Clicking on custom moves the Community appearance to community. No way to choose one and not the other.
    E
    edited May 28, 2007
    I don't thing that this is it, because his gallery doesn't show the community theme (the community doesn't seem to use any and all the other galleries assigned to the community have their own customizations) - his gallery uses a different theme so I think it may be something in his gallery customizations or maybe some CSS issues.

Sebastian
    As I said, and as mentioned on the help page that is linked in my previous post, it is not possible to use your own customization on community pages.

There is one error in our system, and that is that it allows the bare HTML to be shown in the header. The page linked by eoron doesn't use CSS, but is completely old-style HTML, something that is not used a lot on SmugMug pages.

There is no setting that will let you specify your regular cobranding with community galleries, I'm sorry.
    edited May 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    There is no setting that will let you specify your regular cobranding with community galleries, I'm sorry.
    But it is possible when the community doesn't have cobranding like the Boston community we're talking about here - look at Anton's page for example - that has heavy customizations. Another example is my Daily Photo community info page plus have a look at Thusie's gallery in there. Quite different in branding. I could list tons more.
    What am I missing here?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 28, 2007
    But it is possible when the community doesn't have cobranding like the Boston community we're talking about here - look at Anton's page for example - that has heavy customizations. Another example is my Daily Photo community info page plus have a look at Thusie's gallery in there. Quite different in branding. I could list tons more.
    What am I missing here?

Sebastian
    See my above posts.
    Galleries associated with communities can show either the default SmugMug (read theme without personal customization) look, or the community customization.

There is one error in our system, and that is that it allows the bare HTML to be shown in the header. The page linked by eoron doesn't use CSS, but is completely old-style HTML, something that is not used a lot on SmugMug pages.
    edited May 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    You want to tell me that Anton's and Thusie's page use bare HTML, too? Doesn't look to me like no CSS at all. My point is when the community doesn't has theme the user's customizations work as long as it's no theme (I just recalled that fact).

So I guess Eoren uses a theme for his customizations. Eoren?

Sebastian

EDIT: I see you already said that you use Carbonite. I just tried it on my own gallery and the Carbonite theme just won't show up. I don't know what's the problem.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 28, 2007
    You want to tell me that Anton's and Thusie's page use bare HTML, too? Doesn't look to me like no CSS at all. My point is when the community doesn't has theme the user's customizations work as long as it's no theme (I just recalled that fact).

So I guess Eoren uses a theme for his customizations. Eoren?

Sebastian
    Anton does have customization going, but he is the community owner. Thusie has only some bare HTML.
    edited May 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Anton does have customization going, but he is the community owner. Thusie has only some bare HTML.
    Well I guess you're right. I just can't really good distinguish between CSS and HTML. It took a while for me to understand what you were saying. I was about to call to Andy for help, because I thought you weren't getting my point. :D
    My apologies.

Eoren: The only thing you could do is replace your header with some html code instead of using css, but that could lead to a lot of trouble in aligning stuff, I guess.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 28, 2007
    Close enough...
    So I changed my default to 'dark' background on the main customization page and selected 'community' for appearance. Now my header is there on a plain black background. Would prefer to have the nice carbonite them in this but I guess that this is a happy middle-ground. I forgot that I had originally set the customization to 'light' and so changing the setting to community in that setting made it obnoxiously white with my dark grey header glaringly separate.
    Thanks for all the posts Sebastian and Ivar.
    Eyal