Any Speed Problems?

morgan-imagesmorgan-images Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 30, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello all,

I am experiencing some serious "slowing" here at home with a pretty fast DSL connection, and my customers are experiencing the same.

Any ideas?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Hello all,

I am experiencing some serious "slowing" here at home with a pretty fast DSL connection, and my customers are experiencing the same.

Any ideas?
    Hi, these are typically local connection issues from you to us. The site's humming along quite fast for nearly everyone. Write to our help desk, give the details on your account, and let us do some diagnostics, and help you directly from the desk, okay?

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

We're open and fully staffed today, Memorial Day thumb.gif
  • Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I'm experiencing it too.
    Hello all,

Any ideas?

I'm at work now. I have a 100mgb connection at my desktop and my pages load S L O W as of late.

Every other site I go to snaps open and loads almost instantaneously. Makes me wonder. I've been updating my personal site today and every time I try to go into my control panel, it churns for about 2 minutes before opening. Something definitely seems to be different. headscratch.gif
  • HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Same for me
    I'm definitely seeing significant slow-down today. Others I've talked to on another forum are seeing the same thing.

Even the thumbnails on my homepage are taking forever today.
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    HoyBoy wrote:
    I'm definitely seeing significant slow-down today. Others I've talked to on another forum are seeing the same thing.

same here....headscratch.gif
  • akbdeckakbdeck Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    HoyBoy wrote:

Same here and I cannot get to the control panel either. It keeps timing out.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 29, 2007
    akbdeck wrote:
    Same here and I cannot get to the control panel either. It keeps timing out.
    Sorry folks. Some of us at various locations are seeing the problem as well. Our engineers are aware of it and are looking into it now.

More news as we get it!
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Sorry folks. Some of us at various locations are seeing the problem as well. Our engineers are aware of it and are looking into it now.

More news as we get it!

I'll hold tight. As a note, my photos are taking a VERY long time to process after uploading.
  • Emmanuel CoupeEmmanuel Coupe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    slow speed?
    I try to upload images and the processing image logo stays there forever, Is that due to slow speed?
    I can not pretty much get my images to appear after I upload them.
    www.emmanuelcoupe.com

"Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We did not weave the web of life; We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselvs.." Chief Seattle
    edited May 29, 2007
    Edit: We were wrong about our initial assessment.

The problem was with our network connectivity to Amazon (not their fault). We shifted the route to a different provider and the speed increased ten-fold. We are currently working on catching up to our processing queue, but it may take hours.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Edit: We were wrong about our initial assessment.

The problem was with our network connectivity to Amazon (not their fault). We shifted the route to a different provider and the speed increased ten-fold. We are currently working on catching up to our processing queue, but it may take hours.
    Yeah I'm here cause all my uploads are on permanent "Processing Image"

Just out of curiosity, what is a GigE connection?

BTW, whatever you do, don't sell SmugMug to Amazon Laughing.gif! ;-)

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Just out of curiosity, what is a GigE connection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GigE
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:

Okay so it's just really, really fast? I never understood the reason to talk in bits instead of kilobytes or megabytes. The whole conversion stuff is just too confusing. I'd rather talk in small megabyte terms than huge megabit terms. But I'm sure the peple who NEED to know get by just fine, lol.

All I know is that my DSL + $15 wifi router do juuuust fine...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited May 29, 2007
    Okay so it's just really, really fast? I never understood the reason to talk in bits instead of kilobytes or megabytes. The whole conversion stuff is just too confusing. I'd rather talk in small megabyte terms than huge megabit terms. But I'm sure the peple who NEED to know get by just fine, lol.

All I know is that my DSL + $15 wifi router do juuuust fine...

-Matt-

It's not a system that is easily understood until you realize it's all based on powers of 2. For example, a byte is eight bits (2^3). Even though 'kilo' generally means 1,000; the most common definition and use of kilobyte is 1,024 bytes (2^10).

Bytes and bits are both used because although a bit is the basic unit of information storage, a byte is a convenient unit for defining a single character.

To put GigE in perspective, it could theoretically upload up to about 125 megabytes per second. The actual speed will be somewhat lower. If the average photo on SmugMug is 2 megabytes (I made that up), that's 62.5 photos per second or 225,000 photos per hour in the theoretical speed.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I UL'd a 6k PNG and it's been showing "Processing Image" for about 15 mins. I was wondering. Thanks for the update... thumb.gif
    edited May 29, 2007
    Just as a (hopefully) final update on this: Our machines seem to have caught up. *whew* :whew
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 29, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Just as a (hopefully) final update on this: Our machines seem to have caught up. *whew* :whew
    Should this also speed up the WM ability? I tried to implement a WM on 1 image about 20 mins ago and it's still processing. Any thoughts?
    edited May 29, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Should this also speed up the WM ability? I tried to implement a WM on 1 image about 20 mins ago and it's still processing. Any thoughts?
    Sorry, I should have been more specific in that regard. Our upload processing is separate from our other processing (like watermarking, rotating, cropping, etc.). That second processing queue has still not caught up from this morning (and probably will not until late tonight).

Part of the reason is that so many customers are trying out the new SmugIslands feature. Each time they toggle the setting on their account, it dumps every single photo they have into the processing queue. We are working on a solution to this, as watermarking and other processing features should really take priority over SmugIsland toggles.

Fortunately, that second queue doesn't seem to affect viewing speed nearly as much as the uploading queue did.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 30, 2007
    OK... Thanks for the clarification. I had to get away for a while to let SM catch back up. I just couldn't work, so I took a break. But, thanks for keeping us posted. Everything looks back to speed that I can deal with. clap.gif