Digg has an article up that we now can search within out own private stuff-Islands?

episodicepisodic Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited May 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Where is it? I've looked and looked. . .
http://www.digg.com/tech_news/SmugMug_Rolls_Out_Islands_Feature

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    episodic wrote:

A comment in that same digg article links to http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island, is this what you are looking for?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • episodicepisodic Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    A comment in that same digg article links to http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island, is this what you are looking for?
    Ok, I found it. . .

Is there an easy to use guide for this. I'm SOOOO confused now -

Will this enable me in someway to search my password protected galleries? This is what I've been wanting forever and what prompted me to stop really using smugmug a couple of months ago. . .

I want to keyword my private pics and search for them. . .so that when I go to my own site I can pull up tagged pictures of "son" and "baseball" for instance. . .

but I don't want anyone else to be able to do that since they are password protected. . .
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    episodic wrote:
    Is there an easy to use guide for this. I'm SOOOO confused now -
    I'm confused now, too :D did you look at our help page that BeachBill linked for you ear.gif
    edited May 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm confused now, too :D did you look at our help page that BeachBill linked for you ear.gif
    I did. I see the hello world, etc.

Ok - how does the islands feature 'mesh' with the private vs. password protected galleries. . .

For instance - if it is password protected and the islands is set to hello world - what does that mean?

Seems like alot of combinations suddenly were made and I don't fully understand the meaning of each possible combination.

Or maybe I'm really slow :)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    episodic wrote:
    I did. I see the hello world, etc.

Ok - how does the islands feature 'mesh' with the private vs. password protected galleries. . .

For instance - if it is password protected and the islands is set to hello world - what does that mean?

Seems like alot of combinations suddenly were made and I don't fully understand the meaning of each possible combination.

Or maybe I'm really slow :)
    It's quite fine - will take a bit for all of us to get it :D

Here's some help:

Say you choose "Hello World" = Yes but you have a site password on your site. Google WILL index your sitename (nickname.smugmug.com) but nothing beyond that. People finding your site via google that way, would have to have the site password (which you set...). Say you had NO site password, but you have a gallery password set on a gallery....AND you have set Hello World to YES.... google will find your site, and galleries and keywords and captions and such. BUT google WILL NOT go inside the passworded gallery. So that gallery could/would be found via google, but anyone following the link would need the password to get it. Also, google won't get the keywords, captions, etc from that gallery.

Clear as mud?
    edited May 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It's quite fine - will take a bit for all of us to get it :D

Here's some help:

Say you choose "Hello World" = Yes but you have a site password on your site. Google WILL index your sitename (nickname.smugmug.com) but nothing beyond that. People finding your site via google that way, would have to have the site password (which you set...). Say you had NO site password, but you have a gallery password set on a gallery....AND you have set Hello World to YES.... google will find your site, and galleries and keywords and captions and such. BUT google WILL NOT go inside the passworded gallery. So that gallery could/would be found via google, but anyone following the link would need the password to get it. Also, google won't get the keywords, captions, etc from that gallery.

Clear as mud?

So I can keyword and search my private galleries now - but noone else can?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 28, 2007
    episodic wrote:
    So I can keyword and search my private galleries now - but noone else can?
    I just re-wrote the bottom of that help page to make this clearer, but it's not live yet. Here's what it will say:

Personal search.

You, as the site owner, can search all your photos anytime. Visitors to your SmugIsland cannot search private or password-protected galleries unless you give them access.

Clear as mud?

65186849-L-1.jpg
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 28, 2007