Options

Landscapes & views in the Yorkshire Dales

toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited May 30, 2007 in Journeys
I've been a bit quiet all weekend as I've been up in Yorkshire with my family in tow. I had the opportunity to get out on a few walks and took the camera with me of course. My project for the weekend was some landscapes and some first-ever (for me!) silky water shots. My base for the weekend was Malham which is a very lovely village in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales.

#1 Appletreewick - lovely spot.
157001438-M.jpg

#2 and again
157002033-L.jpg

#3 a bit further downriver. Cool clouds this weekend - we missed most of the rain somehow. I liked the cloud mirroring the position of the river on this one.
157000333-M.jpg

#4 getting the hang of this now - using manual mode and checking the histogram after each shot to make sure nothing is too over or under-exposed.
157002288-M.jpg

#5 wild flowers and ramblers.
157000633-M.jpg

#6 Looking up towards Malham Tarn from the top of the cove. Soooo many stone walls everywhere. Cool sky too.
157008786-M.jpg

#7 A composition dream - lead-in lines everywhere. I like this one because it draws your eye up into the photo and you end up following all the little walls in the distance.
156999982-M.jpg

#8 This is Janet's Foss just down from Gordale Scar. Lovely spot but a tad windy as you can see from the trees. Lots of people around so I had to wait patiently, avoiding wet dogs determined to shake themselves off all over me.
157003596-M.jpg

#9 Just above Janet's Foss looking up to Gordale Scar. I ended up sitting on a big rock in the middle of the stream on a rock, with the tripod legs sitting in the water. Darned sheep kept moving as well.
157002698-M.jpg

#10 I drove up a supposedly dead-end road and ended up way above Gordale. I parked up in a little gateway and scrambled through the fields onto a nice hill to get this. Got looked at suspiciously by cows in one of the fields (cows again!!). It was drizzling but sun was breaking through in the distance. Hand-held, just a soft graduated filter on. Nice clouds once more, and tried to get foreground interest and a nice lead line in the pic at the same time.
157004090-M.jpg

#11 One of the kids at the waterfall at the top of Gordale Scar to finish. They had to sit perfectly still for 2.5 secs. Hard for them :grin:
157003261-M.jpg

The silky water shots were done with an ND8 filter and a circular polariser (Cokin P). I am getting some strange purple tint on the top left of the first two which I think must be due to the polariser or the white balance going crazy. Wierd. Couldn't really edit it out.

A superb photographic location though - highly recommended. It would be excellent for some sunset and/or dawn shots. And if you were to stay over, the Lister Arms in Malham is truly good, with lots of intriguing beers, nice atmosphere, and lovely rooms, £30pp B&B.

Cheers!

Tobers

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Wonderful! I've wondered what the Dales were like, thanks for the tour. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SimonTALMSimonTALM Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    tobers wrote:
    I am getting some strange purple tint on the top left of the first two which I think must be due to the polariser or the white balance going crazy. Wierd. Couldn't really edit it out.

Fab photos

I think the colour cast is acutally down to the Cokin NDs basically because Cokin actually sell Grey filters rather than true NDs (cheeky Frogs)accross the web there are many reports of Cokin NDs giving magenta colour casts and I think this is what you are seeing here.

Your photos are spectacular and deserve better filters -treat yourself to some Lee Filters - the Digital SLR starter set includes a glass 2Stop ND and a resin 2 Stop ND Hard Grad as well as the Holder - OK they are pricy (£175 for the kit) but they are worth every penny. Lee Filters are well regarded to be the best out there and best of all they are British.
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Ah - that's interesting. It only seems to happen with the polariser and the ND8 together. With one or the other there is no colour cast at all.

Darn - I've just built up my Cokin collection. I'll have a fiddle and see if I can narrow it down to one or the other - I reckon the polariser is fine so think it may be the ND8 which is only a few days old.

Thanks for the comments!
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Stunning shots, of a beautiful area and very lucky with the rain. It hasn't stopped here all weekend.

Stan
  • Options
    bigcabbigcab Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    I liked #5 and #3..I was hoping the light was a little more dramatic though. Those images were inspiring ! Thanks !
  • Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    such an odd place, its barren, almost lifeless and hostile, yet at the same time remarkably soothing and peaceful.

my favorite part about going there was having to keep backing the little ford fiesta into a widepart of the road so a truck could pass. lol