Critters from the farm at 3x

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited May 29, 2007 in Holy Macro
An assortment of assassin bugs, beetles and hoverflies.

All Canon gear: Xti (manual mode F16, 1/200, ISO 200) + 62mm of extension tubes + 100mm macro lens + 500D diopter. I've got to get an MPE-65 cause my current rig is like shooting with a bazooka! :wink

This first one is at F22, the rest at F16 (I was experimenting with the diffraction loss).

156939645-L.jpg

156939986-L.jpg

156940355-L.jpg

156940608-L.jpg

156940802-L.jpg

156941002-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I've got to get an MPE-65 cause my current rig is like shooting with a bazooka! mwink.gif

Ohhhhhhhhh I hear you John, I got my eye on an MPE-65 as well nod.gif
    Curse you Lens Lust !! rolleyes1.gif

Another good series from you, but the desire to get even closer with the shots will continue to get you :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhhhhh I hear you John, I got my eye on an MPE-65 as well nod.gif
    Curse you Lens Lust !! rolleyes1.gif

Another good series from you, but the desire to get even closer with the shots will continue to get you :D .... Skippy

I'm already hooked! :D
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Nice series John - you certainly lost a lot of detail at F22 and some detail at F16- difficult balance DOF vs detail.
    Brian V.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Nice series John - you certainly lost a lot of detail at F22 and some detail at F16- difficult balance DOF vs detail.
    Brian V.

It's kinda cool to see it: At F16 the compound eye pattern is visible in the assassin bugs. But at F22 the eye looks like a series of horizontal lines -all of the vertical data that would have given the lenses their characteristic shape are gone. In the ant shots that I took the eyes look pretty good at F16, but at F22 they are "flat".

I really don't mind the diffraction loss at F16 -I'm getting twice as much depth of field compared to the shots I've taken at F8. But F22 pretty much exceeds my "diffraction tolerance" so I'm gonna avoid it unless absolutely necessary. All of this changes according to the hardware: Using a 1.4 teleconverter I wouldn't want to shoot past F11 at 3x. The added glass in the TC increases the diffraction defects. I'm thinking that the MPE-65 has an edge since there are fewer lens elements in it due to the fixed focus...
    My SmugMug Gallery