Options

Very cool Flash slideshow of Alaska

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited February 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
It takes a minute or two to get through the intro, but then it's pure eye candy. :wink Dunno how this would fare on dial-up connections but I'd love to hear from someone who has one.

http://home.fujifilm.com/alaska/index.html

Comments

• Options
    Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Very cool Baldy!
    I think the photographer for this must have some monster glass to get all those bear shots.
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Very cool Baldy!
    I think the photographer for this must have some monster glass to get all those bear shots.

nod.gif That's what I was thinking. And momma bear was still sizing him up for the dinner pot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 25, 2004
    Did you guys like the Flash transitions and all that? Been thinking of adding that stuff to smugmug.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    I thought it was very well done and very cool.

It uploaded and ran fine with my DSL.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 25, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Did you guys like the Flash transitions and all that? Been thinking of adding that stuff to smugmug.
    I had a mixed reaction. Some of the flash stuff didn't seem to add anything.
    Like transitions that start as a windowed pan and then open up for the reveal.
    Some of the simple transitions are the best.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I thought it was very well done and very cool.

It uploaded and ran fine with my DSL.
    I agree. I thought it was well put together. The only thing that threw me off was when the pic would change and the caption wouldn't and then the pic would change and so would the caption.. continuity and consistency.. I need it! (at least from others) :D

My .02.
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2004
    Baldy wrote:

What I Like.
      Slide show transitions inside each season. Background graphics. Simplicity of presentation. Menu option. Ease of navigating menu and photos. Flash animation of thumbnails. Music. Arresting, beautiful photographs.

What I Don't like.
      Abrupt change between seasons - music just stops. Flash animation of thumbnails - it's a little tricky to hit the photo, movement for the sake of movement. Slight delay calling up pics from thumbnails. If there's any delay on my broadband, I dread to imagine what it's like on a dialup. Actually, on a dialup, this site is a pointless exercise - the whole darn thing would take too long. An example of technology outpacing the market.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Years ago I made something very similar, a whole lot of pictures actually signature jpgs for an online flight simulation squadron.

I also used Shockwave Flash and it is surprising how easy something like this is to build.
    It is also amazing at how small the files can be, making even those with dial up able to enjoy Flash.
    With Flash there are almost unlimited possibilities, however that said it could be too much for some. For example intros that are to long, interface’s that are not intuitive. All this can be overcome with ingenuity and integration with HTML.

The music on the example you gave was ... rudimentary at best so take his or his web sites flash music with a grain of salt.. There is a lot better out there, just do a Google search and be prepared to be blown away, just don’t get caught up playing some crazy Yeti with a bat hitting a penguin game or something similar (see if you can beat 335ft). rolleyes1.gif

I think with some creative thought and good work with the flash program, it would be a boon to any site, this one included.

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Options
    HackyMotoHackyMoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    It takes a minute or two to get through the intro, but then it's pure eye candy. mwink.gif Dunno how this would fare on dial-up connections but I'd love to hear from someone who has one.

http://home.fujifilm.com/alaska/index.html
    Hi Baldy I'm on dial-up had to reload a couple of times, i would have music but no pics.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

The music on the example you gave was ... rudimentary at best so take his or his web sites flash music with a grain of salt.. There is a lot better out there, just do a Google search and be prepared to be blown away, just don’t get caught up playing some crazy Yeti with a bat hitting a penguin game or something similar (see if you can beat 335ft).

Tim
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

The music on the example you gave was ... rudimentary at best so take his or his web sites flash music with a grain of salt.. There is a lot better out there, just do a Google search and be prepared to be blown away, just don’t get caught up playing some crazy Yeti with a bat hitting a penguin game or something similar (see if you can beat 335ft). rolleyes1.gif
    Hehe... went and took another swat Laughing.gif
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2004
    Hehe there are different versions of that game.
    Funny how something so simple can entertain.
    It is like... buying a kid $200.00 in toys and to see them have more fun banging the pots and pans around.:-)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Hehe... went and took another swat Laughing.gif

You're on the Barry Bonds diet, aren't you? mwink.gif
    Sid.