Options

Jessica

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited May 30, 2007 in People
Hello everyone,

I shot this of my daughter while shooting for SF#1 and while I really like it, no one I showed it to seemed to care for it. I would love to get input and constructive critism from anyone who cares to comment.

Thanks,
Emily

156291294-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Hey there Emily,

Cool, I'm not the only one who uses children to promote their photography. :P Just playing, she's very beautiful.

I suppose my very first impression is that it appears out of focus slightly. But that might be a function of the b/w.

Here eyes are just gorgeous to say the least and lighting appears spot on.

There are a few things kind of buggin me about it. For instance, one can assume that it's the hood of a coat on her head. But there's still no context to the picture. Why is she appearing to almost frown? There's no fore or background and that perhaps is what's leaving people with ???'s. It's a great photo, but I feel it needs context. One would ask questions like, "Is she hungry?" "Is it cold?" "What's going on here?" All of this can actually be fixed with a title to the photo. If you look at my baby girl thread in the first pic, there's no real context, but the title of the pic is "The world in my Baby's eye." That makes it all come together. So the context of your photograph can actually be external if you're going for the artsy kind of photography.

My $0.02, please take it with a grain of salt. I'm no pro.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    It is a nice capture, but it is cropped a bit close for my taste, particularly on the right. Also, I find that fitting the elipse of the face perfectly in the frame like this is a bit flat as a composition. I actually think shooting in landscape orientation works better when you are shooting this close. But, then, many people think I leave too much space in my photos...
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I agree if that is a hoodie she is wearing it should be in the picture, it conveys part of the story here (i.e. yes it cold...yes my ears are cold, and I don't want to smile). The picture is a little soft for a close up...a close up should be more in focus (JMHO).

However on a positive note, this child is beautiful and should be photographed more.

Try again, I'd love to see a before and after.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 30, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    I agree if that is a hoodie she is wearing it should be in the picture, it conveys part of the story here (i.e. yes it cold...yes my ears are cold, and I don't want to smile). The picture is a little soft for a close up...a close up should be more in focus (JMHO).

However on a positive note, this child is beautiful and should be photographed more.

Try again, I'd love to see a before and after.

yes^