canon 30 D overexposure

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited June 8, 2007 in Cameras
Hello, it looks like my 30 D is off by a couple of stops. I have been using the aperture and the P set up lately and have issue with overexposure.
I stepped down by sometimes more than two stop to have something decent.
I checked the ISO which is at a 100 and am not sure what to do next.

Help,help

Philippe

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Hello, it looks like my 30 D is off by a couple of stops. I have been using the aperture and the P set up lately and have issue with overexposure.

Help,help

Philippe

I've not seen this problem with my 30d, but do you happen to have one or two examples, with EXIF, so we can have a look and see if we can figure out what's going on?
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    well exif is a problem since I am not a member of any photo hosting site.
    Let me se when I go back home tonight . I'll will get the information out of my camera.ne_nau.gif

Thanks for replying

BP
    :photo
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    So you've just started using the more creative modes? Are aware of what metering mode you're using and making sure you're metering off the correct part of your image? If you're overexposing perhaps you're pointing your camera at a darker part of the image and using 'spot' or center weighted metering.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited May 30, 2007
    I only use the creative side of this camera, and I am aware of the dark and bright side of a subject. I really like to use the manual mode, but when shooting people at a party it's still a challenge. I forgot to download the pictures to post on tdgrin.

BP
    edited June 2, 2007
    Sorry Ivar I don't have time to log on my own PC at home these days, besides at work of course, So no pics.
    I noticed that I have been shooting with the Spot metering system and not the evaluative one.
    Could it result in overxeposure?

Thanks

BP
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Sorry Ivar I don't have time to log on my own PC at home these days, besides at work of course, So no pics.
    I noticed that I have been shooting with the Spot metering system and not the evaluative one.
    Could it result in overxeposure?

Thanks

BP
    It could. It means that it measures the light right in the middle only. If that happens to be a bit darker than rest of the image, the rest could be blown. The center of the image should be reasonable well exposed though.
    edited June 2, 2007
    arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg That's what I thought you would say and unfortunately, the whole pic is either too bright or too dark.
    Let me retest the camera

BP
  • lowbonelowbone Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2007

Help,help

Philippe

Maybe you have already done this but have you checked your exposure compensation. It is real easy to accidentally move the wheel in the back of the camera and throw your exposure off two stops either way.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    lowbone wrote:
    Maybe you have already done this but have you checked your exposure compensation. It is real easy to accidentally move the wheel in the back of the camera and throw your exposure off two stops either way.

I agree - that's where I'd start (exposure compensation). The other thing you (bounty) could do is post some of the pictures in question so we can give a more educated opinion.
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    OK... good reading... I just bought one a couple days ago and having the same problem... I have been posting on my site for 7 months now,
    www.theoasisofmysoul.com and please do not laugh... they all have been taken with a pentax A20! 10mp... image stabilizer (my r hand shakes as I ride the bike with the sidecar and my buddy Spirit...), at 5MP 2 gyroscopes also come in play... I did Tioga Pass yesterday and everything is over exposed... actually I am ready to take the camera back... they do have a money back 10 days...
    The D30 just does not have that depth... the vibrance that the A20 has... which is the size of a cigarette pack!!! All I need to do is take one glove off and shoot...
    I will go back to the store tomorrow and see what happens... lots of $'s at stake!!!
    I use the P setting...

Be well...

Ara (Spirit has nothing to do with this!)
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    BeemerChef wrote:
    OK... good reading... I just bought one a couple days ago and having the same problem... I have been posting on my site for 7 months now,
    www.theoasisofmysoul.com and please do not laugh... they all have been taken with a pentax A20! 10mp... image stabilizer (my r hand shakes as I ride the bike with the sidecar and my buddy Spirit...), at 5MP 2 gyroscopes also come in play... I did Tioga Pass yesterday and everything is over exposed... actually I am ready to take the camera back... they do have a money back 10 days...
    The D30 just does not have that depth... the vibrance that the A20 has... which is the size of a cigarette pack!!! All I need to do is take one glove off and shoot...
    I will go back to the store tomorrow and see what happens... lots of $'s at stake!!!
    I use the P setting...

Be well...

Ara (Spirit has nothing to do with this!)

If you are shooting from a moving bike, don't waste your money on a DSLR.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    If you are shooting from a moving bike, don't waste your money on a DSLR.

Indeed - if you're going to use it as a point-and-shoot, you'd be better off with a point-and-shoot. Most of those cameras have more aggressive in-camera processing to give you flashy pics that "pop" without needing any more post-processing. Not to mention, a DSLR isn't nearly as portable!
  • GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Hey beemer! Nice to see you over on this site! I've been keeping tabs on you for quite a while. I've been on bmwsporttouring since '04.

I just picked up a 30D a week ago and took it to Yellowstone, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. What light metering setting do you have the camera on? I usually use evaluative even when using AEB unless I break out my hand-held meter. This probably isn't your problem if they are ALL overexposed, but if you keep it on spot meter and are pointing and shooting, you could get a lot of over exposed shots depending on where that little spot is reading from.

Good luck and I hope it's something simple! thumb.gif

edit: By the way, I don't want to highjack the thread, but don't listen to the "DSLR on a motorcycle" nay-sayers. It's a great combination and having it gives you something to practice with once you're stopped at whatever destination you're at for the day. I've used a point and shoot for a few years when on the motorcycle, but at the same time, I have been to places where I really wished I packed my SLR for the better glass and mainly the filter use ... even just a polarizer.
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    strange, i find with my 30D, i have to shoot =1/3 stop ec to get good exposures.. Hmm. could it be your subject? what were you shooting?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited June 5, 2007
    I hear you.
    I have just noticed that I had a brand new polarizing filter while I was having trouble. Bare in mind that I was on my mountain bike in Sedona Arizona in some pretty challenging trail sweating and stopping wherever I could with a brand new polarizing filter and a fairly new camera trying to get some great shots.
    I guess I wasn't thinking too much. It is though to combine two hobbies together. Ok,ok I'll try my luck with my pc tonight

Bounty not photographer of the day
  • GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I hear you.
    I have just noticed that I had a brand new polarizing filter while I was having trouble. Bare in mind that I was on my mountain bike in Sedona Arizona in some pretty challenging trail sweating and stopping wherever I could with a brand new polarizing filter and a fairly new camera trying to get some great shots.
    I guess I wasn't thinking too much. It is though to combine two hobbies together. Ok,ok I'll try my luck with my pc tonight

Bounty not photographer of the day

That's funny, Bounty! We just got back to SoCal from Sedona ... I picked the Jeep instead of the mountain bike, though. :D
    edited June 8, 2007
    Well the mountain bike goes places where the jeep doesn't go, but next year I'll do both.

BOUNTY