Wide angle lens for track photos?

TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in Sports
Okay, so its pretty much always in my bag when I go to do track photography, because wide angles are really good to capture images around the pit & paddock. But this weekend I found myself wandering out onto the infield with my 17-40mm, and while I had to get a lot closer to the action than I was previously comfortable doing, I managed to come away with some really fun and dramatic stuff. What do you think?

156889042-L-2.jpg

156897704-L-2.jpg

156900354-L-2.jpg

156901247-L-2.jpg

156905772-L-2.jpg

Comments and critiques always welcome. :D
http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    >What do you think?

definately dramatic, they've got something that makes them almost feel like they're still moving, especially the first two (or maybe I just got used to it by the time I scrolled down :D )
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I like 'em a lot!

Only wish somehow the background could be less intrusive. That's hard with a wide angle, pretty much the only tool would be even more motion blur.

Very nice shots. Good acces, eh? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I like to take extreme wide angle shots. It definately puts you in risk, if something goes wrong. I like to get low and try to look up at the rider.

I think they look great like this, but I have noticed virtually no one buys these photos. They like a standard shot better.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I like to take extreme wide angle shots. It definately puts you in risk, if something goes wrong.

I was definitely getting really close to the riders! sometimes less than 2 feet away. I'd never take photos like these from anywhere but the inside of the apex, because from there, if anything goes wrong at least I have physics on my side. I was more worried about being a big distraction to the riders. But as typical, most didn't notice me. In fact, they typically never notice me unless I'm at the exit of a slow corner leading into a straight, which is where they usually pull wheelies for the camera. :D
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    very, very cool...I particularly like the last one

these were handheld? dude, you must have nerves of steel!
  • natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Great Shots! I like the last one the best. I think this is because of the lower angle.

I watched a movie on Peter Read Miller, who is the staff photographer for Sports Illustrated (Canon Sponsored). He talked a lot about getting really low angles to make the people/action in the photo seem more heroic.

Keep up the good work, and see if you like lower angles.

Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    No offense, but besides the 3rd and 4th images, I think you should stick to longer zooms :p.

It may be fun and dangerous for you but, 1: people usually dont buy these kinds of photos, and 2: if one of these guys fucks up you can get royally screwed... but pick your battles I guess...
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 1, 2007
    Wide works for these shots. However, they seem soft and the backgrounds are distracting. I'd go back and do it again--it's an angle not often seen and you seem to be on to something thumb.gif

Hey Mike02. Your comments are neither insightful or intelligent. Please keep them to yourself. OK?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 1, 2007
    Tyler, I like these unique angles you achived here. What class of motorcycle racing is this?

Mike02 wrote:
    No offense, but besides the 3rd and 4th images, I think you should stick to longer zooms :p.
    It may be fun and dangerous for you but, 1: people usually dont buy these kinds of photos, and 2: if one of these guys fucks up you can get royally screwed... but pick your battles I guess...
    Mike, you've been unbelievably snarky one too many times in these forums. Enjoy your vacation from Dgrin. :banned
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • DucCatDucCat Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    The bikes photographed in this thread are 50's & 125's and basically mini motos there are some thumpers out there too I believe, ( i ride Ducati's so what do I know) very fun and good people to hang out with on a hot weekend in Stockton California.
    Find what you love... Love what you find