Why watermark?

Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited May 30, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys,
Just signed up a few days ago...love the features.

Quick question, with all the security features in place (right-click protection), why would there be a need to watermark the images?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here. Currently I do not have watermarks enabled...but should I?

Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited May 29, 2007
    I still am not using a watermark - tried one, didn't like the way it looked. But - I know I need to revisit that.

Right-click protection is enabled only within your SmugMug gallery. If you link to an image from outside of there, right click will be enabled from that location. You can set up your galleries to not allow external links, but that means no links at all. (I still allow links because I want to be able to link to my photos in my blog.)

Even if you don't allow links and set up right click protection - people can still use a screen capture program to grab a copy of your images. If you watermark your images their screen capture will include the watermark. Of course if you only watermark the edge then the "thiefs" will be able to cut the edge of the image to remove it. (If - or maybe I should say when - I watermark my galleries, I will still only place a watermark on the edge. Why? Because I find watermarks very distracting, and I can't be bothered to even look at photos that have watermarks all over the image. If I feel that way, how could I do that to my own viewers?)

I would recommend disabling access to the originals. The other sizes are pretty small, and while they still can be useful at least you'll know that they won't produce a decent quality print.

--- Denise
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Advertising!

Seriously-- even with decent prices and all the right-click "protection" enabled, people still swipe photos. In my case, I see them on myspace frequently. My water mark includes my url-- at least I get a little free publicity from them. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Here is just one good example of why to watermark. If you search under Mind Your Own Business sections I know will you find alot more.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62279
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Thanks Denise, I agree with your reasoning for not watermarking...they are very unsightly & I'm less likely to browse images that have them...howeverm bham's post is an eye-opener.
    I think I'll mull this over a bit more. Appreciate the input.

Thanks,
    Bill