Anyone Else Having Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo "Buffer Overrun" Problems?

cindylew68cindylew68 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 6, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm new here. I've been taking photos for quite some time now and decided to purchase Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo. I loved it at first....now after editing several pictures I get an error message and it closes down. Something about "buffer overrun detected"....I received an email from their tech support and it gives me directions on how to fix the problem. The bad thing is that after a few pictures have been edited I get the error message again and must correct it again. Is anyone else having this problem?

Cindy

Comments

• luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    cindylew68 wrote:
    I'm new here. I've been taking photos for quite some time now and decided to purchase Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo. I loved it at first....now after editing several pictures I get an error message and it closes down. Something about "buffer overrun detected"....I received an email from their tech support and it gives me directions on how to fix the problem. The bad thing is that after a few pictures have been edited I get the error message again and must correct it again. Is anyone else having this problem?

Cindy

During research into the security of imaging applications, such as Paint Shop Pro, I discovered a number of such problems. I tried to communicate with Corel several times and got silence in response. Very disappointing.

I'm intrigued as to what the message from Corel's helpdesk said.... Is there any chance you could provide more detail?

So yes, I've had similar problems, though I was actively trying to cause them, and no, I don't have a solution and am somewhat unimpressed with Corel about it.
  • cindylew68cindylew68 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2007
    Buffer Overrun problems
    After I've done some editing on a few pictures, I try to open a new photo in the organizer at the bottom of the screen. When I click on the new picture, an error message pops up. At the top of the error window it has,
    "Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library"
    X Buffer overrun detected!

Program: ...op Pro Photo XI\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

I must then close the program which takes forever. If I try to open it again, I get the same message. I have to follow the instructions given to me by their tech support to temporarily fix the problem....until it happens again. It's a big pain. It turns out some great pictures, but it gets annoying when the program shuts down every 30 minutes or so.

Cindy
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 31, 2007
    Have you tried looking through or posting at their PSP user forums? On Corel's site, there is a link to it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 31, 2007
    I tried looking on their website and there was nothing there that could help me. I did notice that when I try to open the program after getting the error message, it stalls on "updating cache settings" before popping the error message again. I've spoken with their tech support and all they did was send me an email with instructions on how to fix it temporarily.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 31, 2007
    I use Corel's Graphics Suite X3 which includes PhotoPaint. If the settings are similar I'd suggest...

>Tools>Options>Workspace>Memory, and reset / reduce the percentage of total RAM usage. Also lower the number of "undo" steps.

Also check all other workspace and global settings... turn off any unneccessary features that eat up memory.
    edited May 31, 2007
    cindylew68 wrote:
    I tried looking on their website and there was nothing there that could help me.

I was just there in the PSP XI newsgroup.

corel.com > Community > Newsgroups > Start using the Corel Newsgroups > Paint Shop Pro > Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.
    My Smugmug
    edited May 31, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    I use Corel's Graphics Suite X3 which includes PhotoPaint. If the settings are similar I'd suggest...

>Tools>Options>Workspace>Memory, and reset / reduce the percentage of total RAM usage. Also lower the number of "undo" steps.

Also check all other workspace and global settings... turn off any unneccessary features that eat up memory.

Thanks! I'll try this and let you know how it goes....

c
  • CathieTCathieT Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    I'll be very interested too Cindy ... my hubby gets that on his computer too - but he has mostly music ... so it may not be limited to "graphics" programs!
    Cheers,
    Cathie

My Smugallery
    My Blog

If at first you don't succeed - you're doing about average!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    With my previous computer and PSP X I had this problem. I talked with tech support and got some workarounds (don't remember what they are) but ultimately ended up moving everything to my husbands laptop as a solution - just could not keep working at the pace that PSP was working on the old machine. I attributed a portion of that to the machine being tired and ill. One thing I remeber tech support saying was to avoid MS My Pictures. I wasn't using them, but that apparently caused trouble.

So we have upgraded computers and consequently are running Vista. PSP X is not Vista compatable, so I am using a 30 day trial of PSP XI. Still have not figured out if the subtle operating differences are Vista or PSP specific, but I have not adapted to them.

I do wish for the Jasc days - they were good to work with.

Sorry I am of no help other than to confirm your issues.

ann
    edited June 2, 2007
    Angelo,

It still closes on me...I think it's does this when I try to open a new picture from a different file that I'm already working in....
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 2, 2007
    cindylew68 wrote:
    Angelo,

It still closes on me...I think it's does this when I try to open a new picture from a different file that I'm already working in....

well this is a real headscratch.gif

did you try David's suggestion? (post #7)
  • GABGAB Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    what was the answer they gave you?
    Hi Cindy,

I have used X and XI for some time and never had a problem until a few days ago. Now I get the same error when I try to start it up. I have tried a repair and then an uninstall and fresh install and it still gives the same error on startup. Were you ever able to find a better fix? I searched the support site also and came up empty. I don't know what David_S85 was looking at.

What was the fix the Corel folks advised you in their email?

Thanks for your help

Greg
    edited August 4, 2007
    GAB wrote:
    Hi Cindy,
    ... I don't know what David_S85 was looking at....
    Greg

I was suggesting to go into Corel's own support area to ask about the PSP XI problems you're having. - see post #7 in this thread.
    My Smugmug
    edited August 4, 2007
    Buffer Overrun problems
    This is what "David" in the customer service department sent me in an email. It works, but, you have to do this everytime you either get the error message or close the program and want to re-open later.

Greetings,

You probably did this during the reinstallation process, let's try clearing the cache once again.

A. Close Paint Shop Pro Photo XI if is currently open.
    B. Go to Start | Run, Type %appdata% and click Ok.
    C. Open the Corel folder.
    D. Delete the following files:

ImageDB.db
    LastDBFilter.PspCache
    LastDBTreeSel.PspCache
    thumbnails.db

E. Select the Paint Shop Pro Photo folder.
    F. Select the 11 folder.
    G. Delete the cache folder.
    H. Close the open box.

Thank you,

David

GAB wrote:
    Hi Cindy,

I have used X and XI for some time and never had a problem until a few days ago. Now I get the same error when I try to start it up. I have tried a repair and then an uninstall and fresh install and it still gives the same error on startup. Were you ever able to find a better fix? I searched the support site also and came up empty. I don't know what David_S85 was looking at.

What was the fix the Corel folks advised you in their email?

Thanks for your help

Greg
  • GABGAB Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Cindy,

The steps you got from Corel support seemed to have worked for me. I've opened and closed several times, edited, closed and opened, etc. We'll see. I also contacted Corel and I got the following rather more complicated procedure (see below). I haven't tried it because the procedure you sent fixed my problem (for now). This might solve your problem however. Make sure you save your plugins and scripts before you uninstall (copy the 'plugIns', 'Scripts-Restricted' and 'Scripts-Trusted') if have loaded or recorded anything in addition to defaults. The default location for these files is: 'C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI'

Hope this helps,

Greg

"Francis" sent me this:

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support Services. Please download the following files and install them in this order:
    1. Microsoft .Net Framework
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en
    2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en
    after installing, restart PC then reinstall the software this way:

Use the following Instructions to uninstall, then reinstall Paint Shop Pro Photo XI. These instructions provide a method that is much more thorough than using Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.

1. Download the Zapps.exe file from ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/PaintShopPro/X/zapps.exe. Save this file to your Windows Desktop, then skip to step 7 below. NOTE: if you have problems getting the file downloaded, use the following instructions.

2. Open your Internet Explorer Browser. Remove the text in the address bar, and enter: ftp.corel.com (do not enter the http or www prior to the text).

3. Select the Pub folder, followed by the PaintShopPro folder, and then the folder named X.

4. Select the Zapps.exe, then choose Save.

5. Change the location for the save to your Desktop.

6. Select Save.

7. When done downloading the file, browse to the desktop and launch the Zapps.exe program by selecting it.

8. From the Product Drop-down menu, choose Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.

9. Under Actions, add a checkmark next to all 4 options (Uninstall, Run MSI Zap, Remove Registry Keys, and Remove Installed Files).

10. Choose Begin and the utility will start the removal process for Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.

Note: The process will remove the product without a visible progress window (it will run in the background). The image files saved on your computer will not be moved, changed, or removed.

11. Select Close when the program removal process is complete

12. Manually delete any remaining Paint Shop Pro Photo XI files at C:\Program Files\Corel or the location where you had Paint Shop Pro Photo XI previously installed (if you installed to a custom location).

13. Reinstall Paint Shop Pro Photo XI from your original Downloaded file or CD ROM.

14. Download and install the patch from this site: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Content_C1&cid=1153321224268&lc=en&pagename=CorelCom/Layout&pid=1156169694605

Should you require further assistance, please contact us via telephone. A full listing of contact numbers can be found at:

http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=754347