Problems changing Keywords

dbooth80dbooth80 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited May 30, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have been taking a look at some of my keywords, and I've noticed something strange happening. Note the following Example:

John (42 photos)
John Doe (33 photos)
Doe (42 photos)

My first question is why this happens in the first place. I add all my "tags" through Photoshop Elements, and then use Elements to upload them to smugmug. Perhaps there was a shift over the years from treating each word as a separate tag, and recognizing some tags as "multi-word," and keeping them that way. It seems like my older pictures have split tags, but the newer ones keep it the names together.

In any event, what I REALLY want to happen is for there to be 75 photos that have the keyword "John Doe" and NO photos with the keyword "John" or "Doe." What is the best way to do this?

I have currently been just clicking on the "John" keyword, and pulling up all 42 photos. Then I click on "bulk edit keywords." And that brings up the bulk edit screen. The problem (and I think this might be a bug), is that the bulk edit screen does NOT show all 42 "John" photos. Instead, it shows something like 23, or 46, or 300 photos, some of which contain "John", and others which have no connection to "John," other than the fact that they happen to be in the same gallery as some "John" pictures.

Moreover, when I click save, and I go back to the "keywords" page, it still says that "John" has 42 photos. I recognize that this might be a server-lag issue, though.

The other problem I'm having is that I'm not certain of the syntax for keywords.

What does the following give me: John Doe; Jane Smith; Mike Jones;?

My HOPE is that this provides me with three separate tags, not six. Must I have "John Doe" "Jane Smith" "Mike Jones" to get this effect, or will semicolons do the trick?

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I have currently been just clicking on the "John" keyword, and pulling up all 42 photos. Then I click on "bulk edit keywords." And that brings up the bulk edit screen. The problem (and I think this might be a bug), is that the bulk edit screen does NOT show all 42 "John" photos. Instead, it shows something like 23, or 46, or 300 photos, some of which contain "John", and others which have no connection to "John," other than the fact that they happen to be in the same gallery as some "John" pictures.
    The bulk edit is done on a gallery basis, so when in the bulk edit screen you are seeing all images in the gallery the photo you selected is in.
    The other problem I'm having is that I'm not certain of the syntax for keywords.

What does the following give me: John Doe; Jane Smith; Mike Jones;?

My HOPE is that this provides me with three separate tags, not six. Must I have "John Doe" "Jane Smith" "Mike Jones" to get this effect, or will semicolons do the trick?
    Individual image keywords are space separated. Use quotes to have multi-word keywords.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug