Ch. 32 opinions on my first ever attempt

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited February 10, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Let me begin by saying I am an amateur, maybe even a serious hobbyist when it comes to photography. I just discovered the digital grin forum today and got very excited over these challenges. What a wonderful idea! So here's my first attempt. Let me introduce you to my cat, Moofaly Doofaly. And let me also say that I feel very sheepish in the presence of such great photographers. eek!

15645539-L.jpg

Fujifilm s7000 digital, 1.3" f4, ISO 200, macro setting

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 10, 2005
    great shot of MD. Love tight crops like that! Welcome to dGrin.
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    And a second attempt, the predominant color being red IMO....kinda fits in with Valentine's day, too. iloveyou.gif

15648321-M.jpg

f3.6 @ 15 ISO 200
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    And a second attempt, the predominant color being red IMO....kinda fits in with Valentine's day, too. iloveyou.gif

15648321-M.jpg

f3.6 @ 15 ISO 200

Hi Tanna,
    Welcome to the forum! I like both of these shots for different reasons. I
    love kitties! And, this one difinitely has one predominant color. I get the feeling that I wish he would look up and at me though. Remember, cropping is not allowed in a "no photoshop" challenge. The idea is to able to frame "in the camera." Of course, I don't know, you may have zoomed in on him for this shot. Just an aside there.

I also like the love potion shot. Good composition there and nice simple, uncluttered subject. You've got the focus on the red heart, but to my mind, red is not the prevalant color. I read the point of the challenge as being to take a picture that's almost monochromatic. We may get other views on this, but that's the way I see Andy's examples. Both nice shots, and a very good beginning.

Welcome again. Show us some more. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • hqsbudhqsbud Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    The love potion is my favorite so far! The dominant color isn't red, but the PREdominant color is! If that makes any sense, or is even correct. Also makes me wonder who got all the love potion...
    edited February 10, 2005
    hqsbud wrote:
    The love potion is my favorite so far! The dominant color isn't red, but the PREdominant color is! If that makes any sense, or is even correct. Also makes me wonder who got all the love potion...

My dictionary says, "predominate" (verb) 1. To be of greater strength, number, importance, or prominence. 2. To have authority or controlling influence: dominate.

"predominant" (adj) 1. Superior in power or impportance: dominant. 2. Most commonly occurring or existing: prevalent.

So, I agree that the red heart is the most important thing, the focal point. But, not the most commonly occurring or prevalent. I would always go with Andy's examples. They seem to indicate an image with a very prevalent color. Maybe we need another word from Andy here. Can we get clarification?
    edited February 10, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Tanna,
    Welcome to the forum! I like both of these shots for different reasons. I
    love kitties! And, this one difinitely has one predominant color. I get the feeling that I wish he would look up and at me though. Remember, cropping is not allowed in a "no photoshop" challenge. The idea is to able to frame "in the camera." Of course, I don't know, you may have zoomed in on him for this shot. Just an aside there.

I also like the love potion shot. Good composition there and nice simple, uncluttered subject. You've got the focus on the red heart, but to my mind, red is not the prevalant color. I read the point of the challenge as being to take a picture that's almost monochromatic. We may get other views on this, but that's the way I see Andy's examples. Both nice shots, and a very good beginning.

Welcome again. Show us some more. thumb.gif
    concerning the "cropping" of the kitty picture, there was NO cropping, just wanted to clarify. That is a full-frame, non-cropped photo. I had it on macro setting and with such a slow shutter speed, took about 40 photos of him like that hoping he would be just still enough to keep it in focus. :) Cats can be a very challenging subject when you're that close. Laughing.gif, he licked the lens at one point and I had to clean it. hehe
    edited February 10, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    My dictionary says, "predominate" (verb) 1. To be of greater strength, number, importance, or prominence. 2. To have authority or controlling influence: dominate.

"predominant" (adj) 1. Superior in power or impportance: dominant. 2. Most commonly occurring or existing: prevalent.

So, I agree that the red heart is the most important thing, the focal point. But, not the most commonly occurring or prevalent. I would always go with Andy's examples. They seem to indicate an image with a very prevalent color. Maybe we need another word from Andy here. Can we get clarification?
    ah, yes, reading the challenge again andy specified a single color throughout, so yes the love potion wouldn't really qualify unless andy says differently. But I still love the photo. I'm off to a shoot with my best friend in the snow and her red dress. So maybe I'll get something there! Thanks so much for taking the time to post! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 10, 2005
    concerning the "cropping" of the kitty picture, there was NO cropping, just wanted to clarify. That is a full-frame, non-cropped photo. I had it on macro setting and with such a slow shutter speed, took about 40 photos of him like that hoping he would be just still enough to keep it in focus. :) Cats can be a very challenging subject when you're that close. Laughing.gif, he licked the lens at one point and I had to clean it. hehe

I thought that might be the case, but the other comment said "tight crop". So, just wanted to clarify. I figured you zoomed in on him, but MACRO, gee wiz! I can't imagine any of my cats ever sitting still for that! Great job! Including cleaning the lens. rolleyes1.gif I really like this shot.

I don't have any cats now. Too many coyotes around here. At one time I had four at one time. Over my lifetime I've probably had 25 or 30. Love em!
    Only have dogs now.