Options

Monopod help! What height?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited June 5, 2007 in Accessories
As someone who is pretty tall - 5'10" - I'm a little surprised to see that the monopods I'm looking at aren't really very tall - 60-63". When I add a head (do I need to do that?) and the camera, it still seems a bit short of my eye - or just right at it. Is that appropriate?

I'm going to be shooting a wedding and feel that doing some of the further away shots (man, my English is sucking tonight! LOL!) with a monopod might make more sense. This is going to be my main use for it.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at a lightweight Bogen until I realized it only extended to 60". Is this tall enough.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    As someone who is pretty tall - 5'10" - I'm a little surprised to see that the monopods I'm looking at aren't really very tall - 60-63". When I add a head (do I need to do that?) and the camera, it still seems a bit short of my eye - or just right at it. Is that appropriate?

I'm going to be shooting a wedding and feel that doing some of the further away shots (man, my English is sucking tonight! Laughing.gif!) with a monopod might make more sense. This is going to be my main use for it.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at a lightweight Bogen until I realized it only extended to 60". Is this tall enough.

Thanks!

I know nothing about which brands are "good" however this one openst to 79" http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/171012-REG/Gitzo_G1564L_G1564L_Mk2_Studex_XL.html

Guy at work gave me the big fat catalog for bh... call me if I can help.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    First off, I'd suggest no head at all, or the Bogen 3232 head (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5498-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3232_3232_Swivel_Tilt_Head.html).

Personally I'd prefer the viewfinder to end up at eye level for comfort--hunching down to look through isn't very confortable after a while & defeats the purpose.
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Im 6'3" and am using the Manfrotto 680 with the 3229 tilt head on it. I only shoot with it glass that has lens rings so going to portrait mode is no problem. The tripod extends to 60" and the head is 2.5 inches tall.

My eyes are approximately 6" lower than the top of my head so they are at about 5'9" above the ground. My 30D has the battery grip that raises the viewfinder about 5" above the top of the monopods 62.1/2" height with the 3229 head on it. Add the 5" to that and it is at 67.5 inches high or 5'71/2" high. I can live with bending over for 1 1/2 inches.

Best thing to do. Take your camera with the battery grip, lens etc that you plan on using to photography shop and give various monopods a try with various heads on it. If you are only using lenses with tripod rings the 3229 is very nice an easy. If not and you need portrait mode look at the Manfrotto 482RC2 ball head on top of the monopod with your camera attached. I think that you will find that a 60" tripod with or with out head will probably work just fine.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Thanks all! i really appreciate the feedback! After hearing that you're 6'3 with a 60" monopod, I feel much better. I'm off to see what the budget will allow since I have more choices than I though!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    For a monopod, you really don't need to spend big bucks. I inherited some no-name cheap aluminum one, and it works perfectly fine. Spending $300 on a carbon Gitzo monopod is purely for bragging rights, IMHO. It's just one leg of a tripod without the heavy top spider, so even a simple aluminum one is very lightweight and plenty sturdy enough.

For using a shorter lens with no ring, what I'd look at is adding an Arca-Swiss style quick-release adapter, like the RRS one and an L bracket for the camera. This is where I'm headed. I have tried using a ball head on a monopod, and found it's a PITA--you spend a lot of time fighting the thing flopping around. The one-axis head or none at all is much easier
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007

I'm going to be shooting a wedding and feel that doing some of the further away shots (man, my English is sucking tonight! Laughing.gif!) with a monopod might make more sense. This is going to be my main use for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The Gitzo 1564L Mk2 (4 section, Aluminium) is 78in high (~2meters) and very well build.

There is one on ebay right now (possibly more) for 140$: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gitzo-G-1564L-Mk2-Studex-XL-Monopod-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ330127428048QQihZ014QQcategoryZ30092QQcmdZViewItem
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I am an occasional monopod user so I went on eBay and bought an aluminum mono plus a molded zinc/steel ball head for a total combined cost of $30. They work very well for me. The mono is 72in. and I am 6ft tall.

Two things to consider in my opinion: Sometimes you will want to shoot down slightly rather than straight-on so having a pod that puts your viewfinder at eye-level standing straight up and additionally leaning forward is a plus - I calculate about 1in. ~ 1.5in. longer extension to lean it forward (as if you are shooting the flower girl or ring bearer kind of stuff).

The ball-head adds almost 4in. to the top of the mono. Frankly, when I'm doing action type event photo, there is little time to spend adjusting the head around - it can be cumbersome when you don't have a lot of time to set it up. The only advantage I have is turning the camera over for a portrait orientation rather than landscape. I would recommend no head - its just not that useful for what you described.

You can take a tape measure, hold it with your toe, and measure how high your eyeball is from the floor. Then take the bottom of your camera and measure up to the viewfinder and add that height to the lenth of the monopod. That will give you just what you need to know about where your viewfinder will be on top of the monopod.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Personally, I love my Carbon Fiber monopods. I have a Gitzo and a Feisol. The Feisol is quite a bit heavier constructed (it's like the Gitzo on steriods), and is ideal for big glass. They also double for good walking sticks if you like, you want Carbon Fiber for this, lighter weight. Also lighter for hikes in general. Weight is always a factor to consider unless you don't move around for photography.

Incidentally, I bought both mine used, and paid barely over 100 each.

I mostly use the Feisol at the zoo carrying a 300mm on it now, (was 200-400VR).

Both stay in my car ready to use.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The Gitzo 1564L Mk2 (4 section, Aluminium) is 78in high (~2meters)

This is what I use. I also have the Bogen tilt head if I need it (for use when the lens does not have a collar).

I am 6'1" and prefer a monopod with extra length, especially when not shooting on a level surface or if I end up standing on a curb or other object the extra length is helpful.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I really like my Gitzo, but I recently saw some Induro tripods and was very impressed. I would definitely look at their monopod offerings, you may be able to get a little better value from Induro.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Ther eis actually a debate going on over at FM right now on what sort of heads to best use on a monopod. A couple of guys like ballheads, one is considering a ballhead plus Wimberly Sidekick (headscratch.gifhuh). Me, I am firmly in the no head or Bogen 3232 only. I tried a ball head & it ticked me off--I spent all my time fighting everything flopping around. I put the 3232 on it & it works quickly & efficiently. WHen you have a longer lens on there, if you make sure both the 3232 and lens collar adjustmenr knobs are on the same side, it makes things very convenient.
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Ther eis actually a debate going on over at FM right now on what sort of heads to best use on a monopod. A couple of guys like ballheads, one is considering a ballhead plus Wimberly Sidekick (headscratch.gifhuh). Me, I am firmly in the no head or Bogen 3232 only. I tried a ball head & it ticked me off--I spent all my time fighting everything flopping around. I put the 3232 on it & it works quickly & efficiently. WHen you have a longer lens on there, if you make sure both the 3232 and lens collar adjustmenr knobs are on the same side, it makes things very convenient.

Yeah, I'm not a ball head fan on a monopod either. Prefer the 3229 RC2 though for the quick release. On those rare occasions that I use the mono for portraits I have the camera on my Custom Bracket. Gives me very stable camera sift to Portrait mode. But again this is very rare that I use the mono other than for sports.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    HERE is the one I use...(link to ebay)..the mono pod is called a P-Pod by Giottos...I really like the add on legs for turning it into a T-pod....If I know for sure that I am not needing the 3 add on legs then they stay in the car...however if I am out shooting flowere and other macro work I acan also attach 2 leags by the head area and have the pod at a nice angle for really low work......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Ditto on this mono-pod . For the money , it is very versatile , just a bit on the heavy side for some , but being 5'10" , I'm sure you won't have a problem . It also comes with a qick-connect-plate .
    Good luck !!!!:D
    Art Scott wrote:
    HERE is the one I use...(link to ebay)..the mono pod is called a P-Pod by Giottos...I really like the add on legs for turning it into a T-pod....If I know for sure that I am not needing the 3 add on legs then they stay in the car...however if I am out shooting flowere and other macro work I acan also attach 2 leags by the head area and have the pod at a nice angle for really low work......
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

Hmmm...very interesting. I don't know that I care for the little tripod legs, but I *do* like the integrated 2-way head.