LPS #6 - angular or no?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited June 3, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Do you think this is angular, or is it just too forced...as in, if the shot weren't tilted, would it still work?? The piano is somewhat angular no matter what, but??? Any thoughts? Also...did I go too dark with it?

157990011-L-1.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    It certainly has a angular feel to it but I think your right if the photo was not tilted would it be angular?

probably not.ne_nau.gif
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Hmm...doesn't say "angular" to me. It's more of a homely shot of someone playing the piano which is very pleasant, but doesn't shout "angular".
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Sometimes it's tough to judge on your own photo. But if you're asking yourself the question, then a third party is probably thinking it as well. It doesn't scream angluar at me. Maybe a detail on the keys could be more anglar, but it would be tough to work in the motion you've got in this one. Maybe a single finger pressing a key?
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    ...It doesn't scream angluar at me. ...

It doesn't scream to me either. Not that all photos should scream. Galleries would be very noisy places then.

Look inside the piano. Really. There are interesting things to see.

Cheers!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Thanks, everyone! Yes, I figured if I was asking the question myself...I had my answer! Appreciate the feedback and ideas.
    Elaine

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Hey Elaine
    That looks like a Sojin Model 42" console....don't ask me how I know rolleyes1.gif Not quite angular enough though....good idea but keep shooting.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    I'd have to agree it's not angular enough but I think the shot has potential in and of itself.

I think the tilted perspective here would work really well close up moving in on the keys and the hands with the wide angle. I like the movement! It would be interesting to see movement in the keys as well as the hands if that is possible - thinking out loud here.

And I agree that looking inside the piano would be fascinating and could provide some great angular shots. Combine that with movement in the strings and you could have a strong image.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    headscratch.gif I don't know how this would work, but you can try a close up photo at a high shutter speed of one or more fingers pressing the keys. Good piano playing technique involves curved fingers.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    headscratch.gif I don't know how this would work, but you can try a close up photo at a high shutter speed of one or more fingers pressing the keys. Good piano playing technique involves curved fingers.

15524779-Ti.gif Also, I think you can emphasize the angular aspect if you got in closer and took out some of the peripheral elements of the photo. They detract too much from the subject, which I take is the piano itself.

I think "angular" could be a subtle element in your photograph and in your case you are using it in the way you composed the shot so I think that's valid. I'm not sure if the judges will see it that way but if I were judging I would certainly see it. That said, it needs to reinforce the shot more and I think getting in closer and taking the periphery elements out would help.

Erich
    edited June 2, 2007
    Ok...the responses here have encouraged me to not let this shot die quite yet! I've not had a chance to reshoot, but I do have another crop. Any thoughts on this one? I'm guessing those that mentioned going closer probably mean even CLOSER, but I do like this crop better, even if not for #6.

158347767-L-1.jpg
    Elaine

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    For me, the story of this shot is the bare foot and its somewhat incongruous setting of the piano. When I see the shot, I wonder about the foot. The angles in the shot never really come to mind (without help from the competition theme) because the foot appears to be the focus of the shot. I think the reason for that is the relatively bright light on the foot is in a place where I don't expect it, so I assume it is deliberately there to call attention.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    While for the photo itself, I like the crop much more, for the theme I think the only reason it's angular is because of the rotation of the photo.... Sorry! I think it's a wonderful shot (as you know!), but I dont' think it screams angular.

Maybe cropping out the foot would help? Not sure!

:D
    edited June 3, 2007
    Thanks, LiquidAir and Andi! I totally get what you're saying. I think this "angle" is a stretch for angular! Hah! :D I'll move on now...the shot wasn't taken for LPS anyway, but for my portrait a day.
    Yes, that's me, and the lighting is natural. It was evening light, so it was low and kinda bouncing off the floor, thus the lighting on the foot. It wasn't purposeful, but I liked how it turned out!

Thanks for the input!
    Elaine