Options

First Sunset

CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in Landscapes
I know everyone and their next door neighbor has shot the sun setting, but this was my first. :-) Taken over the intercoastal waterway of NC.
158114514-L.jpg
http://bedford.smugmug.com
Gear: Canon 7D
Canon 24-105 f/4 L
Canon 28mm f/1.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Comments

• Options
    caerocaero Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2007
    Greetings!

A quick comment for your first sunset :)

I really like how you have captured the clouds (or mountains or whatever the dark part of the sky is) making a diagonal line pointing at the sun.

My only complaint would be that you might have made it a more powerful shot by sticking to the rule of thirds placing the sun in the uppermost left hotshot and possibly the horizon in or near one of the horisontal thirds lines.

Apart from that I like your first try :D
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    caero wrote:
    Greetings!

A quick comment for your first sunset :)

I really like how you have captured the clouds (or mountains or whatever the dark part of the sky is) making a diagonal line pointing at the sun.

My only complaint would be that you might have made it a more powerful shot by sticking to the rule of thirds placing the sun in the uppermost left hotshot and possibly the horizon in or near one of the horisontal thirds lines.

Apart from that I like your first try :D

I completely agree about the sun being too close to the left edge. I was trying to crop out a tree branch that I didn't notice when snapping the shot.... (See below.)

148235929-M.jpg
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Why not clone out the branch rather than cropping to remove it. Then you can adjust the crop to put the sun where you want.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I disagree with some of the earlier comments. I don't think there is a problem with where the sun was placed. The image feels left-heavy and I think that is why people feel the sun is too far over. I think that having that railing on the right half of the image would balance it. But, overall, I really like it! Good job.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. I did think about cloning out the tree branch, but I kind of felt like that would be cheating somehow.

I also fully agree that the balance would have been better with the railing on the right, but unfortunately there were trees to the left of the scene. Also, I was trying to catch the sun as it hit the clouds. I only had a few seconds to get the shot before it changed.
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    What if you tried cropping out the right half of the image? That could be an interesting possibility.