Violet darter

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in Holy Macro
Very odd to find them perching on anything other than the ground this time of year. This shot was taken near a peach orchard and this guy was feeding from a fallen branch. A good example of why shooting with a diopter can be a good thing -very little detail in a background that's only a few centimeters away...

158132959-L.jpg

Once I was sure I had the shot that I wanted I backed up, added 62mm of tubes to the rig, and went back in for a shot at 3x life size. I tried to get a side view, but he had his limits...

158132783-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Excellent captures :)
    brian V.

Thanks Brian! It sure would be easier if you'd give me your MPE-65 :D
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    amazing!
    Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited May 31, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Tessa

Thanks Tessa! :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    These are wonderful great detail and colors
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    WOW, that took my breath away! I am off to check out your blog for tips! I love macro!
    edited May 31, 2007
    These are wonderful great detail and colors

Thanks my friend!
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited May 31, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    WOW, that took my breath away! I am off to check out your blog for tips! I love macro!

Thanks for the props! :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Very odd to find them perching on anything other than the ground this time of year. This shot was taken near a peach orchard and this guy was feeding from a fallen branch. A good example of why shooting with a diopter can be a good thing -very little detail in a background that's only a few centimeters away...
    Once I was sure I had the shot that I wanted I backed up, added 62mm of tubes to the rig, and went back in for a shot at 3x life size. I tried to get a side view, but he had his limits...

Hi John, how lucky were you eek7.gif gawwwwd.
    It's a beautiful colour, love the detail in the body and wings too.
    But that Face I love that face iloveyou.gif those eyes,
    man you gotta wonder just how much can these guys see with such big eyes... excellent work John clap.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited June 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi John, how lucky were you eek7.gif gawwwwd.

rolleyes1.gif

I'm just getting started my friend. It's early in the season for dragons here -not many out yet (too cold at night, temps need to stay above 20c). But I'm already finding them perching above the ground and getting territorial about their "hunting blinds". If yesterday wasn't a fluke then it's going to be an incredible summer for my dragon photography... :cool
    Skippy wrote:
    It's a beautiful colour, love the detail in the body and wings too.
    But that Face I love that face iloveyou.gif those eyes,
    man you gotta wonder just how much can these guys see with such big eyes... excellent work John clap.gif .... Skippy

From the reaction that I've seen so far to those two shots 'm convinced that my decision to shoot more above life size this year was a good one.

If you look at the eyes notice that their is a difference in color between the top and the bottom. The lenses at the top are better at sensing movement and judging distance, and it's that set that a dragon hunts with. If you watch them in action they always attack from the bottom and swoop up to catch their prey. I've noticed the same attack behavior in damselflies as well.

Another interesting but of trivia, and I don't know how the folks with pocket protectors figured it out: Dragonflies use something called "motion camouflage" when they attack. They can move in such a way that the victim thinks that the dragon is motionless, and therefore less likely to avoid the strike... eek7.gif

Edit: One last thing: I thought they were hunting bees yesterday, but didn't see them eating any. If you look closely at the head shot you can see pollen stuck to the hairs around the mouth -and these guys where no where near any flowers...
    My SmugMug Gallery