2 curvy shots...

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited June 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Earth has landed...

158225126-L.jpg

My company’s corporate headquarters building (Humane Genome Sciences) hence the building shape like a double helix…

158225379-L.jpg

new -1
159065180-L.jpg

new-2
159065959-L.jpg

new-3
159066699-L.jpg

new-4
159067316-L.jpg

re-shoot of my curvy building...

Any reaction you have... comment, criticism, or suggestion will be greatly appriciated

Winston

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I like both of your prespective shots. The Earth one is really cool, very creative clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I like both of your prespective shots. The Earth one is really cool, very creative clap.gif

Thanks! :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Earth has landed...
    My company’s corporate headquarters building (Humane Genome Sciences) hence the building shape like a double helix…
    Any reaction you have... comment, criticism, or suggestion will be greatly appriciated
    Winston

Both are great. I'd probably go for the "earth", since I've never seen anything like that.
    But I honestly think this particular ange/light/framing is lacking something, cause it makes me think "funny picture", not "what a great shot"...ne_nau.gif And with that in mind, the building is definitely "curvy", while the "earth" has more wow factor.
    I'd recommend reshooting both and see which one looks better.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Both are great. I'd probably go for the "earth", since I've never seen anything like that.
    But I honestly think this particular ange/light/framing is lacking something, cause it makes me think "funny picture", not "what a great shot"...ne_nau.gif And with that in mind, the building is definitely "curvy", while the "earth" has more wow factor.
    I'd recommend reshooting both and see which one looks better.

Thanks Nik,

I'll give the earth shot another go... maybe the building also... not sure if I can make it any better though... It is actually a water tower painted like the earth, many trees and distracting elements around it... plus the painting on top is quite faded... This particular shot took a couple of hours of post processing... The building is dificult as well, wish I could get above it... Any way, thanks much for your input...
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Your second one goes better with the challenge. Nice lighting and good angle to capture the curviness. My suggestions would be to straighten the image a bit so the lines are perfectly vertical and crop a little off the left.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    The Challange notwithstanding ... both shots have great potential .. but look very snapshotish. Taken standing ... eye level with little thought to composition. On the earth ...the latitude seams just north of the Tropic of Capicorn, are distracting ... I would clone them away or shot from an angle which lessens/eliminates the distraction.

THe building has great potential ... use you imagination and all the tools on your camera. Shoot low ... shoot high ... shoot wide ... long ... up ... down ... time exposure ... shoot at night when lighted from within ... shoot it everyway but what you posted.

I like your vision, especially with the earth ... you just need to refine ... expand on your imagination and translate your imagination into a photograph.

Good Luck,
    Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • SmashtoadSmashtoad Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Definately lose the seam around the equator and recompose...the tree looks very square. There is great color on the globe...use it. Don't feel like you have to put the whole globe in the shot.

Goodluck.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    The Challange notwithstanding ... both shots have great potential .. but look very snapshotish. Taken standing ... eye level with little thought to composition. On the earth ...the latitude seams just north of the Tropic of Capicorn, are distracting ... I would clone them away or shot from an angle which lessens/eliminates the distraction.

THe building has great potential ... use you imagination and all the tools on your camera. Shoot low ... shoot high ... shoot wide ... long ... up ... down ... time exposure ... shoot at night when lighted from within ... shoot it everyway but what you posted.

I like your vision, especially with the earth ... you just need to refine ... expand on your imagination and translate your imagination into a photograph.

Good Luck,
    Gary

15524779-Ti.gif
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    I definitely vote for the second one. The first one says "round" more to me, but the second is very unsual and really says "curvy" - I also like the shot.
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    That's a beautiful building! I would love to see a shot that would only show the curvey parts of the structure without the hard edge sides. Compose it right and you may have a winner.

Nikos
    edited June 3, 2007
    bump for more comment on new building shots...
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    New-4
    Very cool! Nice compo, nice colors!
    My only grudge is that it features some keystoning, a trapezoidal distortion rather typical for architechtural wide angle shots.
    It's very easy to fix in post (PS: Free Transform), though.
    Also maybe consider more crop on the bottom, but not by much.
    Good luck! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I kinda like Building 4 best. I'd try the same treatment your did in the upper left hand corner (building and sky meeting in the corner) to the lower right hand corner (crop up from the dottom.) Then for more abstraction I try a B&W high contrast conversion .... just to see what happens.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed