How do I light this? - Related to #37

StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in Technique
As you can see, I need to light the inside of the gazebo to get some good shots of people.

I have a Sigma 500DG Super and a radio trigger. I will be buying a 2nd Sigma flash. I also have a Sunpak 383, but don't use it on my 20D.

How would you set this up. They want to see the surrounding flower gardens as well as the people inside.

158313891-M.jpg
Dana
** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
no birds sang there except those that sang best.
~Henry Van Dyke

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dana,
    As you can see, I need to light the inside of the gazebo to get some good shots of people.

I have a Sigma 500DG Super and a radio trigger. I will be buying a 2nd Sigma flash. I also have a Sunpak 383, but don't use it on my 20D.

How would you set this up. They want to see the surrounding flower gardens as well as the people inside.

I'm afraid you need an off-camera light. Like a remotely controlled 580/420, or a 580 + 420 combo, or any PW controlled stobe... Then there are many options where/how to place it/them.

Otherwise you'd have to go "Antonio way":-), take multiple exposures and then do some blending in PS...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Would it be best to try and place it above? It would be easier to conceal.

I had thought about zip tying a monopod to a post, trying to get close to camera left, slightly above eye level and using a bounce card to direct/diffuse it.

I don't want t do a lot of PP, so I guess I'll have to figure how to do it remotely.
    My Chinese triggers should do the trick.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited June 1, 2007
    Would it be best to try and place it above? It would be easier to conceal.

I had thought about zip tying a monopod to a post, trying to get close to camera left, slightly above eye level and using a bounce card to direct/diffuse it.

I don't want t do a lot of PP, so I guess I'll have to figure how to do it remotely.
    My Chinese triggers should do the trick.

I would position the flash inside the gazebo pointed towards the ceiling. This way you won't see the flash unit itself, but it should give you enough light for the faces. Maybe also position a large reflector on the ceiling, or something homemade that is bright enough and reflects better than the plain wood...

HTH
    edited June 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I would position the flash inside the gazebo pointed towards the ceiling. This way you won't see the flash unit itself, but it should give you enough light for the faces. Maybe also position a large reflector on the ceiling, or something homemade that is bright enough and reflects better than the plain wood...

HTH

I agree, I think bouncing off the wood would give a yellow cast. I was worried about it being overhead and casting nose shadows and making raccoon eyes. Time to study up on some homemade bounce cards.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited June 1, 2007
    I agree, I think bouncing off the wood would give a yellow cast. I was worried about it being overhead and casting nose shadows and making raccoon eyes. Time to study up on some homemade bounce cards.
    Casts are easy to fix in post.
    And with the ceiling being so large and dome-shaped I don't think it will create strong shadows. Play with it.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 1, 2007
    You might try shooting with your camera in Av mode, and with an EOS flash ( or a Sigma for EOS ) mounted on the camera set up such that the flash beam is significantly narrower than the lens used - The idea is to try and beam some fill light onto her face, without lighting the front of the gazebo. With ETTL, and maybe -1/3 to -2/3 of a stop of Flash Exposure Comp I think this might work. YOu wil need Manual Zoom mode to control the zoom amount probably 105mm with a 50 mm or 70mm lens.

Putting flash close to the subject inside the gazebo may result in a harsh quality of light that is better avoided in my humble opinion.

Off camera flash is almost always better, but what is needed here is some fill to help balance her with the forground and background lighting.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 1, 2007
    Some great ideas from both! I'm going to have to mock this situation at home. Maybe I can do that with my barn and me trusty mannequin.:D The gazebo is 1 1/2 hour drive away and with gas, extra trips to play around are not in the works.

If I can get this right, it will make for some beautiful couples portraits.

If anyone has any more ideas or examples, please throw them out here.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dana,

After looking more at your image of the lady in the gazebo, I am not sure that you want to keep the background well exposed in your image....It is not that attractive - street with a parked car.

Why not put your camera in Manual Mode, set your flash in ETTL, either on the camera or moved off with an ETTL cord or ETTL capable IR transmitter like the ST-E2, and use that as your main light in High Speed Synch.

Then you can illuminate the subject and the forground with the flash exposure controlled by your choice of aperture, and let the background go dark by using a faster shutter speed since shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light exposure, but has no effect on flash illumination in High Speed Synch. A larger aperture will give a shallower Depth of Field to blur the background, and a faster shutter speed will drive the background to black. Just a thought....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin