Macro with current gear?

evan_devan_d Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited June 1, 2007 in Holy Macro
I've a huge longing to do macro work, but at the moment I don't have a dedicated macro lens.

Right now I have a Canon 350D (hopefully soon to be 20D or 30D), a Canon 70-200 f/4L (which I've considered selling for a Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro or Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro), and a Sigma 10-20 EX (being shipped to me). Neither of those lenses seem suited at all to macro. So what should I do?

This thread might not make sense to anyone but Dalantech, so you might just want to disregard. :D
Evan

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    evan_d wrote:
    I've a huge longing to do macro work, but at the moment I don't have a dedicated macro lens.

Right now I have a Canon 350D (hopefully soon to be 20D or 30D), a Canon 70-200 f/4L (which I've considered selling for a Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro or Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro, and a Sigma 10-20 EX (being shipped to me). Neither of those lenses seem suited at all to macro. So what should I do?

This thread might not make sense to anyone but Dalantech, so you might just want to disregard. :D

I'm sure Brian will jump in too -he has a lot of experience shooting macro thumb.gif

The quickest, and least expensive way, is to pick up a full set of Kenko extension tubes and use them with your 70-200 F4 L. I'm not sure what the working distance will be, but you should be able to get close to life size -easily use that rig for closeup photography. The tube set will come in handy when you get a dedicated macro lens -at some point you'll want to start shooting above life size.

If I were you I'd keep the 70-200 F4 L and either add a diopter and tubes to it, or a teleconverter and tubes (diopters and teleconverters don't normally work well when you use them together). It would make an incredible closeup lens -easily hit half life size with the diopter (might not even need tubes to get there).
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • evan_devan_d Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    The quickest, and least expensive way, is to pick up a full set of Kenko extension tubes and use them with your 70-200 F4 L.
    Do you mean these?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Looks like the 70-200 f/4L has a maximum magnification of 1:4.8, not sure what it would be with the tubes either.

Now a true 1:1 macro lens with extension tubes.. that sounds fun! :D

Thanks for the help! If anyone else wants to pitch in, please do.
    Evan
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    evan_d wrote:
    Do you mean these?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Looks like the 70-200 f/4L has a maximum magnification of 1:4.8, not sure what it would be with the tubes either.

Now a true 1:1 macro lens with extension tubes.. that sounds fun! :D

Thanks for the help! If anyone else wants to pitch in, please do.

Those are the tubes. I've got a 70-200 F4 L at home but the focus knob is shot. I'll see if I can get it to minimum focus and I'll add all my tubes to it to see what it looks like at 70mm.
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.