Options

Help me find unbranded DVD's What do you use?

kristenkristen Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
HEY! I am getting ready to start selling images on disc. I need to know a good DVD to buy. I want unbranded so that I can put my images on the disc and make it look professional. I have looked around and I'm not having much luck. ALSO, I want to start out small. A spindle of 25 would be perfect. THANKS :D
Kristen Mendes
www.kristensphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Best DVD out there... Taiyo Yuden. Unbranded and zero write errors. I buy mine in 200 spindle lots but I believe you can get them in smaller quantities. I use www.supermediastore.com, fast, good service.

Dan
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Best DVD out there... Taiyo Yuden. Unbranded and zero write errors. I buy mine in 200 spindle lots but I believe you can get them in smaller quantities. I use www.supermediastore.com, fast, good service.

Dan

Thank you super bunches. One more question. I was getting ready to make another post but maybe you can help me out. Do you have an example or who where I can get an example for a release I can put on the DVD. I need something saying they are allowed to print. THAT'S IT. They can't publish, make money, distribute for profit, or claim the photos in any way.
    Kristen Mendes
    www.kristensphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dbl wrote:

Dan

What's the dif in -R and +R... I don't want RW, right?
    Kristen Mendes
    www.kristensphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dbl wrote:

Dan

ONE MORE.. I'm sorry..... What size is big enough? How many photos can I fit on what?
    Kristen Mendes
    www.kristensphoto.com
  • Options
    Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    DVDs
    Kristen,

I purchase most of my media from Newegg. They have great prices and fast service.

The type of media really depends on what type of DVD Writer you have. Most newer drives support DVD-R as well as DVD+R. DVD+R is considered by many a superior format although it isn't considered the "standard". The RW means that the disc is re-writable. You can erase it hundreds or thousands of times and put new information on it. If you are selling these then you shouldn't need them to be re-writable and just go for the DVD+R or DVD-R.

Single layer DVDs are 4.7 GB. Double layer DVDs are 8.5 GB. If your photos were 10 MB in size you would be able to store around 470 on a single layer DVD.

In order to use Double Layer DVDs you have to have a Double Layer DVD Writer.

Many drive manufacturers provide lists of compatible media for use with their drives.

Many consider Taiyo Yuden as the best especially for archival quality and failure rates. See this article for some additional information and discussion about media types.

I typically use Verbatim and have never had problems with them. They are in many cases considerably less than name brand Taiyo Yuden and some Verbatim discs are actually manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.

I believe that SuperMediaStore guarantees that their Taiyo Yuden's are authentic as there are shady dealers selling off-brands and calling them the real thing.

LightScribe discs are essentially unlabled but the discs have a light sensitive layer that special LightScribe DVD Writers can expose using their laser and actually label the disc without using printers or paper labels. These discs are typically more expensive than their standard counterparts.

I hope that this helps.
    Todd
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Kirsten,

Let me start in reverse with your questions.

#1 Size of DVD - Most are 4.7G so how many pictures can you fit? Well that depends on what you are putting on the disc, RAW files, JPEG and the size you are saving your JPEG's at. How many MP is your camera, how large can you save your files? The 8X or 16X I think you may be seeing is actually the write speed of the disc, how fast will it record your pictures.

#2 I usually use -R disc myself, they usually are a bit more compatible with most manufacturers drives. Someone may be able to answer that better than I, sorry.

#3 Release - I have a release that I made up from suggestions posted here and elsewhere, I'm no lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

"Permission is granted to ____________________for personal use and reproduction only.

Company name here will remain owner of all copyright and grants permission only for reproduction for personal use. Any sale of any image in connection with this agreement is strictly prohibited. Any publication or exhibition is also prohibited without mutual consent of the parties involved in this agreement.

Any publication or reproduction, as mutually agreed, of these images must include the photographers name and copyright symbol as shown below."

I also include my phone number and contact information in case there is a question from the printer. I hope that helps.

Dan
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Kirsten,

Let me start in reverse with your questions.

#1 Size of DVD - Most are 4.7G so how many pictures can you fit? Well that depends on what you are putting on the disc, RAW files, JPEG and the size you are saving your JPEG's at. How many MP is your camera, how large can you save your files? The 8X or 16X I think you may be seeing is actually the write speed of the disc, how fast will it record your pictures.

#2 I usually use -R disc myself, they usually are a bit more compatible with most manufacturers drives. Someone may be able to answer that better than I, sorry.

#3 Release - I have a release that I made up from suggestions posted here and elsewhere, I'm no lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

"Permission is granted to ____________________for personal use and reproduction only.

Company name here will remain owner of all copyright and grants permission only for reproduction for personal use. Any sale of any image in connection with this agreement is strictly prohibited. Any publication or exhibition is also prohibited without mutual consent of the parties involved in this agreement.

Any publication or reproduction, as mutually agreed, of these images must include the photographers name and copyright symbol as shown below."

I also include my phone number and contact information in case there is a question from the printer. I hope that helps.

Dan

Thank you a ton. I really appreciate it and it did help!

I hope you had a good stay last night! rolleyes1.gif
    Kristen Mendes
    www.kristensphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Green2 wrote:
    Kristen,

I purchase most of my media from Newegg. They have great prices and fast service.

The type of media really depends on what type of DVD Writer you have. Most newer drives support DVD-R as well as DVD+R. DVD+R is considered by many a superior format although it isn't considered the "standard". The RW means that the disc is re-writable. You can erase it hundreds or thousands of times and put new information on it. If you are selling these then you shouldn't need them to be re-writable and just go for the DVD+R or DVD-R.

Single layer DVDs are 4.7 GB. Double layer DVDs are 8.5 GB. If your photos were 10 MB in size you would be able to store around 470 on a single layer DVD.

In order to use Double Layer DVDs you have to have a Double Layer DVD Writer.

Many drive manufacturers provide lists of compatible media for use with their drives.

Many consider Taiyo Yuden as the best especially for archival quality and failure rates. See this article for some additional information and discussion about media types.

I typically use Verbatim and have never had problems with them. They are in many cases considerably less than name brand Taiyo Yuden and some Verbatim discs are actually manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.

I believe that SuperMediaStore guarantees that their Taiyo Yuden's are authentic as there are shady dealers selling off-brands and calling them the real thing.

LightScribe discs are essentially unlabled but the discs have a light sensitive layer that special LightScribe DVD Writers can expose using their laser and actually label the disc without using printers or paper labels. These discs are typically more expensive than their standard counterparts.

I hope that this helps.

THANKS A TON! That was aweomse. I am trying to find out the specs on the writer. I don't have it yet. It's in the mail. A friend found a good deal and she is mailing it to me. I believe it's double layer, light scribe, and dvd+r compatable. I think it might even do RW.

Will there be a program with the writer to install so I can do lightscribe?
    Kristen Mendes
    www.kristensphoto.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    It doesn't say whether or not they are branded, but it does give some info on quality:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    It doesn't say whether or not they are branded, but it does give some info on quality:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

THANKS
    Kristen Mendes
    www.kristensphoto.com
  • Options
    Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    kristen wrote:
    THANKS A TON! That was aweomse. I am trying to find out the specs on the writer. I don't have it yet. It's in the mail. A friend found a good deal and she is mailing it to me. I believe it's double layer, light scribe, and dvd+r compatable. I think it might even do RW.

Will there be a program with the writer to install so I can do lightscribe?

Not all DVD writers are created equal. A good resource for reviewing drive performance and ratings can be found here.

If you are purchasing an "OEM" drive (typically the cheapest) they normally do not come with any software, drivers, or support. It is best to buy a retail box version that normally will include software that supports your drive such as Nero, Roxio, or Sonic.

A highly rated drive with LightScribe is the LITE-ON LH-20A1H which is available from Newegg for $37.99 as of right now with free 3-day shipping. They come in black or beige. I believe Nero 7 Essentials buring software is included. This drive burns at 20X which and is probably one of the fastest burners available right now.

When you buy media you only need media that supports your burner's maximum speed such as 8X, 16X, etc. Some burners can burn slower media at a faster rate but you do risk the chance of having problems doing this.

Most all new burners support DVD+R/-R DL and re-writable discs.

You can get Verbatim 30-packs of LightScribe +R discs (4.7GB) for around $23. In contrast you can buy non-LightScribe in 100-pack spools for around $20 after rebates. If you want color labels there are printers that will print directly on discs as well as sticky labels. :bluduh
    Todd